Here's my new dwarf
20190430_123448-jpg.1056762

20190430_123421-jpg.1056763

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to get more of the meds through his gut. I've had persistent parasites before and it took a daily feeding with metro/focus for a couple weeks to finally knock it out. So basically take his weeks feeding and just split it up into daily. every other day feedings mixed with meds. I think the meds work more effectively being fed more often. You can do do 2 or 3 days in a row then skip a day, then do 2 days. How every he will take 1 or 2 or 3 pieces rolled in meds more frequently, consistently helps knock it out better.
Blah! I was hoping to start Metro+Focus regiment for Fuzzy but the little bugger wasn’t hungry. Which is odd b/c its last meal was 4 days ago. It might be shedding its cuticle though b/c I noticed translucent pieces floating around when the powerhead was turned on. During cuticle molting, is it “normal” for lions to be lethargic? Mine has been huddling in a corner for the past few days.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blah! I was hoping to start Metro+Focus regiment for Fuzzy but the little bugger wasn’t hungry. Which is odd b/c its last meal was 4 days ago. It might be shedding its cuticle though b/c I noticed translucent pieces floating around when the powerhead was turned on. During cuticle molting, is it “normal” for lions to be lethargic? Mine has been huddling in a corner for the past few days.

Can you give me a time line, is this the yellow fuzzy that you got from iBluewater. If so, I thought those fish were conditioned. I think I remember you saying you treated with gc, that really should have done the trick. They can stop eating because of the parasites and that could be it, so it is important not to wait. Did you try and feed him anything else, to make sure he is still eating, like live.

Last edited:

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give me a time line, is this the yellow fuzzy that you got from iBluewater. If so, Inthought those fish were conditioned. I think I remember you saying you treated with gc, that really should have done the trick.
Hi @lion king , yes this is the yellow fuzzy from iBluewater. I’ve treated it with GC for about a week since it’s been in QT and I still notice stringy white poop (it’s been in QT for over a month now). That’s why I’ve decided to switch gears and try Metro+Focus+Prazi.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do general cure; dose per water volume, then repeat in 48hr, then water change in 48hr. I have seen lions many times come in, eat and be active for a month or so, even up to 2 months, then just stop eating and die. It's all because of internal parasites, so I wouldn't wait. I'm sure you are not running carbon or anything, just checking. I would dose gc again, and redose in 48hrs; 1 packet per 10g. I thought you were dosing pp and metro, you really need to be careful not to get a combo of all the various meds. Is there any meds in the tank now, lethargy could be caused by the meds, all fish react different.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do general cure; dose per water volume, then repeat in 48hr, then water change in 48hr. I have seen lions many times come in, eat and be active for a month or so, even up to 2 months, then just stop eating and die. It's all because of internal parasites, so I wouldn't wait. I'm sure you are not running carbon or anything, just checking. I would dose gc again, and redose in 48hrs; 1 packet per 10g. I thought you were dosing pp and metro, you really need to be careful not to get a combo of all the various meds. Is there any meds in the tank now, lethargy could be caused by the meds, all fish react different.
The only med in QT is Prazipro. Should I use carbon to remove the Prazipro and start over again with GC?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only med in QT is Prazipro. Should I use carbon to remove the Prazipro and start over again with GC?

I really hate throwing med after med at little lions, they really dont seem to handle it well. My experience with pp; parasites that can be cleared with pp, it usually clears in 2-3, maybe 4 days. I do the 2nd dose as insurance but it isn't usually necessary. How long has the pp been running in the tank. Did you try any live ghosties to see if he is still eating. Once I know I'm dealing with parasites, i do get concerned to move on whatever method I decide on quickly. I'm seeing more issues recently with parasites not being cleared with pp, that's why I have started using gc.

Last edited:

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate throwing med after med at little lions, they really dont seem to handle it well. My experience with pp; parasites that can be cleared with pp, it usually clears in 2-3, maybe 4 days. I do the 2nd dose as insurance but it isn't usually necessary. How long has the pp been running in the tank. Did you try any live ghosties to see if he is still eating. Once I know I'm dealing with parasites, i do get concerned to move on whatever method I decide on quickly. I'm seeing more issues recently with parasites not being cleared with pp, that's why I have started using gc.
I’ve switched to PP on 4/24 and have used 5 doses so far (5th dose was today). During this time, Yellow Fuzzy has been eating frozen krill and I’ve changed the QT water every week. Not sure what to do next. I don’t want to lose it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve switched to PP on 4/24 and have used 5 doses so far (5th dose was today). During this time, Yellow Fuzzy has been eating frozen krill and I’ve changed the QT water every week. Not sure what to do next. I don’t want to lose it.

Let's start from the beginning, I get what you have dosed already, and 5 doses of pp is completely unnecessary. If you still see signs of parasites, you'ill have to get some metronidazole into him. Either through metroplex or general cure. Metroplex has not been effective for me in the water column, to get him to take enough through food, he really needs to be eating dead food really well. You need to get the meds into his gut every day to be most effective, for as long as a couple of weeks. Gc in the water column is a much better option. Dose exactly as described, no more, no less. On a very rare occasion you may need a second round. Extended and repeated medicating these guys usually doesn't end well,, even when getting through treatment and cured; they tend to have a very short life.

How does his eyes looks, clear or cloudy, and is he eating.

I am very disappointed with iBluewater, at the price I saw him listed at, that fish should have been qt'd and fully conditioned. Treated for parasites and dewormed.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start from the beginning, I get what you have dosed already, and 5 doses of pp is completely unnecessary. If you still see signs of parasites, you'ill have to get some metronidazole into him. Either through metroplex or general cure. Metroplex has not been effective for me in the water column, to get him to take enough through food, he really needs to be eating dead food really well. You need to get the meds into his gut every day to be most effective, for as long as a couple of weeks. Gc in the water column is a much better option. Dose exactly as described, no more, no less. On a very rare occasion you may need a second round. Extended and repeated medicating these guys usually doesn't end well,, even when getting through treatment and cured; they tend to have a very short life.

How does his eyes looks, clear or cloudy, and is he eating.

I am very disappointed with iBluewater, at the price I saw him listed at, that fish should have been qt'd and fully conditioned. Treated for parasites and dewormed.
Thanks @lion king for the advice. Its eyes look pretty clear to me but it hasn’t eaten in 5 days. I usually feed it every 2-3 days so it’s due for a feeding yesterday; alas, it wouldn’t go into hunting mode like it has before. It’s either hiding in its favorite ornament or scuttling along the tank bottom. I rarely see it swimming anymore in the water column. Before re-dosing with GC, should I wait a few days for the remaining Prazi to dissipate from the QT, or just use carbon to remove all remaining meds first? I, for one, am less concerned about what iBluewater fell short at and would rather focus my energy into getting Fuzzy back to normal. I’ve attached pics of Fuzzy in its hideaway and the stringy white poop it just left.

E6F320F8-7374-43E6-9157-341FDD419C56.jpeg

A1B0DFF5-189B-4D5A-8AB3-08095AB602A4.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @lion king for the advice. Its eyes look pretty clear to me but it hasn’t eaten in 5 days. I usually feed it every 2-3 days so it’s due for a feeding yesterday; alas, it wouldn’t go into hunting mode like it has before. It’s either hiding in its favorite ornament or scuttling along the tank bottom. I rarely see it swimming anymore in the water column. Before re-dosing with GC, should I wait a few days for the remaining Prazi to dissipate from the QT, or just use carbon to remove all remaining meds first? I, for one, am less concerned about what iBluewater fell short at and would rather focus my energy into getting Fuzzy back to normal. I’ve attached pics of Fuzzy in its hideaway and the stringy white poop it just left.

E6F320F8-7374-43E6-9157-341FDD419C56.jpeg

A1B0DFF5-189B-4D5A-8AB3-08095AB602A4.jpeg

I would not wait, trust me, I have made that mistake, don't underestimate the urgency of what needs to be done. The pp obviously didn't work, and since he is not eating, I would move on dosing gc. I am talking what I would do, and ironically just went through this a few months back with my blackfoot. You do want to remove the pp, as a dose of gc could cause an od.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not wait, trust me, I have made that mistake, don't underestimate the urgency of what needs to be done. The pp obviously didn't work, and since he is not eating, I would move on dosing gc. I am talking what I would do, and ironically just went through this a few months back with my blackfoot. You do want to remove the pp, as a dose of gc could cause an od.
Alrighty, 1st dose of GC was given yesterday and after a long period of coaxing today, Yellow Fuzzy finally ate just one (!!) frozen krill. I’m thinking out loud here but do lionfish go on hunger strikes? My Skeletor eel has a history of not eating for weeks and I’m wondering if lions do the same thing? Thoughts?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, 1st dose of GC was given yesterday and after a long period of coaxing today, Yellow Fuzzy finally ate just one (!!) frozen krill. I’m thinking out loud here but do lionfish go on hunger strikes? My Skeletor eel has a history of not eating for weeks and I’m wondering if lions do the same thing? Thoughts?

They will skip a feeding here and there, and if they are shedding may not eat. But with definite signs of internal parasites, you have to take that serious. I have seen lions with internal parasites stop eating and be dead in a weeks time.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did I see this thread? I have a soft spot for lions.........quietly leaving this thread now. LOL

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will skip a feeding here and there, and if they are shedding may not eat. But with definite signs of internal parasites, you have to take that serious. I have seen lions with internal parasites stop eating and be dead in a weeks time.
I wanted to give you an update on my Yellow Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish that didn’t eat for a week. After performing a 25% water change and increasing the temperature to 80, Fuzzy became its usual self (swimming around the water column, showing off). I’m now only feeding it 3x/week with 2 krill per feeding. I would like to know what’s better for its digestion: 6 krill divided between 3 feedings (current routine) or 1 krill daily.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give you an update on my Yellow Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish that didn’t eat for a week. After performing a 25% water change and increasing the temperature to 80, Fuzzy became its usual self (swimming around the water column, showing off). I’m now only feeding it 3x/week with 2 krill per feeding. I would like to know what’s better for its digestion: 6 krill divided between 3 feedings (current routine) or 1 krill daily.

I've found lions do better not being fed every day but rathet every 2 and every 3 days. My small 4" lions can easily put away 4 completely whole pieces of krill at one feeding. If you take it slow they will let you know when they are full, you should see a nice little bulge in his belly. I would be careful not to get him locked in to eating only krill. Funny, I just used the daily feeding of krill only as an example of how dwarf lions mysteriously stop eating and die after a year or so in my "arguement to ffed live foods" thread.

Has his poo returned to normal

Last edited:

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found lions do better not being fed every day but rathet every 2 and every 3 days. My small 4" lions can easily put away 4 completely whole pieces of krill at one feeding. If you take it slow they will let you know when they are full, you should see a nice little bulge in his belly. I would be careful not to get him locked in to eating only krill. Funny, I just used the daily feeding of krill only as an example of how dwarf lions mysteriously stop eating and die after a year or so in my "arguement to ffed live foods" thread.
Before it stopped eating for a week, I’d fed it 2x/week, and each feeding, it could easily take 6-7 whole krill. But now, it would only accept 2 krill per feeding. I’m thinking I might’ve overfed it before and now the Lionfish is adjusting to eating fewer krill per feeding. Thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back