Lionfish showoff

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it eats dead ghost shrimp?

With the krill, wiggling it on the end of a feeding stick has worked for me. It may take some time.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the krill, wiggling it on the end of a feeding stick has worked for me. It may take some time.
Yes dead ghosties. Mind you, the ghosties are still pink and have heads intact. The krill do not have intact heads and are white in color. I’ve tried wriggling the krill with feeding tongs but it wasn’t fooled by it. Would it be OK to feed dead, white ghosties to Fuzzy, to fool it into thinking krill are the same, or are dead-white ghosties unhealthy?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh b@lls! First attempt at weaning Fuzzy to frozen was a bust. Mixed Hikari krill with some recently dead ghosties, added Selcon, and let sit for 10 mins. Dropped 1 ghostie in first and that got eaten quickly. Next dropped in the Hikari krill and he ignored it. Took the Hikari krill out and fed it another ghostie. Tried to alternate the krill with the ghostie and it kept ignoring the krill. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest a tried and true method of weaning Fuzzy to frozen?

You are not doing anything wrong, it's not as easy as some will make out. One could get lucky, most times not, and sometimes never. Please do not do the starvation method some try and recommend, he may just stop eating all together. Try to get whole pieces of krill, you have to try and fool him at first. He may take some dead, don't get cocky, the next time you try, he may not. It's just a matter of time and perseverance, and sometimes, some will never take enough dead food to sustain. Here's the stuff I get from the asian market. $4 for a 7oz box.

005.jpg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not doing anything wrong, it's not as easy as some will make out. One could get lucky, most times not, and sometimes never. Please do not do the starvation method some try and recommend, he may just stop eating all together. Try to get whole pieces of krill, you have to try and fool him at first. He may take some dead, don't get cocky, the next time you try, he may not. It's just a matter of time and perseverance, and sometimes, some will never take enough dead food to sustain. Here's the stuff I get from the asian market. $4 for a 7oz box.

005.jpg
Thanks for the pep talk. Wow, those look a lot more natural than Hikari’s. Do you mind telling me more about these Asian market krill (like brand, pics,etc.)?

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pep talk. Wow, those look a lot more natural than Hikari’s. Do you mind telling me more about these Asian market krill (like brand, pics,etc.)?

005.jpg
Would it be OK to feed dead ghosties that have turned white?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be OK to feed dead ghosties that have turned white?

Yes that is the most successful way, if they are fresh dead they are white. When they are dead longer they turn pink, he may take these easier than anything else dead. Some people will even freeze ghosties and feed only dead ones for a while to get him used to eating dead. Then try krill, whole pieces is best. Some will take to feeding from a stick, most will not. 1st just try to drop the dead ones in like you are feeding live. The krill I get from the asian market is in the frozen shrimp section, the market I go to even call them "tiny shrimp". The asian market I go to is called Ranch Market, it's a chain asian market that we have in my area.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the most successful way, if they are fresh dead they are white. When they are dead longer they turn pink, he may take these easier than anything else dead. Some people will even freeze ghosties and feed only dead ones for a while to get him used to eating dead. Then try krill, whole pieces is best. Some will take to feeding from a stick, most will not. 1st just try to drop the dead ones in like you are feeding live. The krill I get from the asian market is in the frozen shrimp section, the market I go to even call them "tiny shrimp". The asian market I go to is called Ranch Market, it's a chain asian market that we have in my area.
We have an Asian market called Ranch 99 Market (or 99 Ranch Market) where I live (CA). I wonder if it’s the same place as yours? Sounds like a food run either way.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the advice. I’ve finally tricked Fuzzy into eating Hikari krill by grabbing them by the tail with feeding tongs and wriggling them away from Fuzzy to mimic live food. Worked like a charm with 3 krills. Also helps to wait 3 days between feedings.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I’ve finally tricked Fuzzy into eating Hikari krill by grabbing them by the tail with feeding tongs and wriggling them away from Fuzzy to mimic live food. Worked like a charm with 3 krills. Also helps to wait 3 days between feedings.

That's great news!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good first step, just make sure you don't get locked into feeding krill exclusively.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Apologies if this may not be the appropriate forum to post this, but I’d like to know how long I should dose Metro+Prazi in my QT to treat Fuzzy for white stringy poop. As of today, I’m on Day 6 of dosing, I’m currently on 3rd dosage, and I’m still seeing white stringy poop. I’m concerned that there may be something in my QT that’s absorbing the meds, thus reducing their effectiveness. My QT currently has a HOB filter (sponge, Fluval bio pellets), heater, powerhead, and this hideaway ornament from Petco https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...-stacked-stone-hideaway-and-aquarium-ornament

Should I remove anything from my QT to prevent undesired absorption of meds?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Apologies if this may not be the appropriate forum to post this, but I’d like to know how long I should dose Metro+Prazi in my QT to treat Fuzzy for white stringy poop. As of today, I’m on Day 6 of dosing, I’m currently on 3rd dosage, and I’m still seeing white stringy poop. I’m concerned that there may be something in my QT that’s absorbing the meds, thus reducing their effectiveness. My QT currently has a HOB filter (sponge, Fluval bio pellets), heater, powerhead, and this hideaway ornament from Petco https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...-stacked-stone-hideaway-and-aquarium-ornament

I would keep the fish in qt.

If the fish is eating prepared foods, it would be worth adding metro to its food, if you're currently only dosing into the water column.

Let's see what the others say.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have found that metro is more effective in food vs dosing in the water column. You may need to pull those meds out and use general cure if you are dosing in the water column. What you have in the tank is really not a concern, I use live rock as a cave in my qt/observation tanks.

Is he eating, when is the last time he ate, and what was he eating. Prazi pro is usually 1st dose, after about 5 days, water change, then 2nd dose; the 2nd dose is just to kill any eggs. If he had the type of parasites that pp kills, it would usually clear within a couple days or so. Metro deals with thje other type of internal parasites and it has not worked for me in the water column. If he is eating dead food, mix the metro+focus into the food.

If he is only eating live food, do a 25% water change, use some carbon overnight and pull the meds out. Then dose general cure into the water column, it's 2 doses, follow the instructions on the box. If he is eating, feed him good before you dose the general cure, it can play with their appetite sometimes. General cure is pp and metro combined into one med.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that metro is more effective in food vs dosing in the water column. You may need to pull those meds out and use general cure if you are dosing in the water column. What you have in the tank is really not a concern, I use live rock as a cave in my qt/observation tanks.

Is he eating, when is the last time he ate, and what was he eating. Prazi pro is usually 1st dose, after about 5 days, water change, then 2nd dose; the 2nd dose is just to kill any eggs. If he had the type of parasites that pp kills, it would usually clear within a couple days or so. Metro deals with thje other type of internal parasites and it has not worked for me in the water column. If he is eating dead food, mix the metro+focus into the food.

If he is only eating live food, do a 25% water change, use some carbon overnight and pull the meds out. Then dose general cure into the water column, it's 2 doses, follow the instructions on the box. If he is eating, feed him good before you dose the general cure, it can play with their appetite sometimes. General cure is pp and metro combined into one med.

OK, so yes Fuzzy’s eating frozen krill and last meal was yesterday. I’ve used GC before in the QT (4 doses in 1-week time) and I’m pretty sure that I’ve performed a 50% water change of QT during GC dosing. However, even with GC, I’d noticed persistent stringy white poop which is why I switched to Metro+Prazi. I will add Metro+Focus into its food in a few days. I’m wondering which option would be better right now (GC or M+P). Thoughts?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can get a persistent case sometimes, as long as he is still eating, you have time. If you've done gc and pp in the water column, as long as he is eating dead food, I would mix in the metro/focus. I keep this up for at least 2 weeks, feeding every other day, and watch for a healthy poo. I prefer pp in water column and metro/focus in food when they eating dead food; I use gc in the water column when they are only eating live food.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can get a persistent case sometimes, as long as he is still eating, you have time. If you've done gc and pp in the water column, as long as he is eating dead food, I would mix in the metro/focus. I keep this up for at least 2 weeks, feeding every other day, and watch for a healthy poo. I prefer pp in water column and metro/focus in food when they eating dead food; I use gc in the water column when they are only eating live food.
While dosing meds, I’ve been feeding Fuzzy every 3-4 days. Are you suggesting that I increase its feeding rate?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to get more of the meds through his gut. I've had persistent parasites before and it took a daily feeding with metro/focus for a couple weeks to finally knock it out. So basically take his weeks feeding and just split it up into daily. every other day feedings mixed with meds. I think the meds work more effectively being fed more often. You can do do 2 or 3 days in a row then skip a day, then do 2 days. How every he will take 1 or 2 or 3 pieces rolled in meds more frequently, consistently helps knock it out better.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back