Lionfish showoff

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before it stopped eating for a week, I’d fed it 2x/week, and each feeding, it could easily take 6-7 whole krill. But now, it would only accept 2 krill per feeding. I’m thinking I might’ve overfed it before and now the Lionfish is adjusting to eating fewer krill per feeding. Thoughts?

Have you seen his poo back to normal.

As much as we try there is no stead fast absolute. While most fuzzys seem to be insatiable, each fish is different. Some of my fish I have to fight off to get others food, while it seems as if I always have to coax others into eating enough. Eating and activity is a good sign, so give it time to get into rhythym.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The King of the 210.

20190521_205207.jpg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen his poo back to normal.

As much as we try there is no stead fast absolute. While most fuzzys seem to be insatiable, each fish is different. Some of my fish I have to fight off to get others food, while it seems as if I always have to coax others into eating enough. Eating and activity is a good sign, so give it time to get into rhythym.
So I’m experiencing feeding issues with my Yellow Fuzzy. It’s been weaned onto frozen Hikari krill and though there have been a few bumps along the way, it’s been eating krill without any issues. Lately, however, it would swallow a whole krill and appear as if it’s fully ingesting it but then it would spit the krill back up. This happens to krill of all sizes (even tiny ones). I’ve even tried feeding it other frozen foods, like fish and scallop pieces, but it spit them out as well. My biggest fear is that the Yellow Fuzzy is rejecting frozen food for some reason and I would have to revert to feeding it live ghost shrimp. Any thoughts?

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a question about the first yellow fuzzy under my care. When it's in the QT by itself, it looked pretty nice like this, with visible yellow all over

However, when I released it into the display tank, I noticed that it slowly lost some yellow coloration and has developed a "bald" spot behind its head like this

Other than this color loss, it's swimming and eating fine.

Any idea what might be causing this?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a question about the first yellow fuzzy under my care. When it's in the QT by itself, it looked pretty nice like this, with visible yellow all over

However, when I released it into the display tank, I noticed that it slowly lost some yellow coloration and has developed a "bald" spot behind its head like this

Other than this color loss, it's swimming and eating fine.

Any idea what might be causing this?

So you got the parasite situation straighten out, you did see a good fecal sample from the 1st yellow.

Lions can be moody and their color can change to reflect that, the fading yellow can be a cause of stress, after a while that should color back up. Now the total loss of pigment sometimes is indicative of parasites.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Has anyone noticed their Lionfish eye color change? When I first got my 2nd Yellow Fuzzy, his eyes were white with black streaks (pics below taken on 6/22/19):

However, today, his eyes are no longer white and have become darker.

Despite the eye color change, he still recognizes me when I get close to his QT and is eating/swimming fine.

I’d like to know if this is cause for concern.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the most successful way, if they are fresh dead they are white. When they are dead longer they turn pink, he may take these easier than anything else dead. Some people will even freeze ghosties and feed only dead ones for a while to get him used to eating dead. Then try krill, whole pieces is best. Some will take to feeding from a stick, most will not. 1st just try to drop the dead ones in like you are feeding live. The krill I get from the asian market is in the frozen shrimp section, the market I go to even call them "tiny shrimp". The asian market I go to is called Ranch Market, it's a chain asian market that we have in my area.
Hi @lion king , which specific chain Asian market do you get your frozen krill from? And what’s the brand of these krill?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back