• No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, debating on getting another dwarf lionfish or Fu Manchu Lionfish (if i can find one). I had one a few years ago, love it until it decided to go carpet surfing (that was heart breaking) and am deciding to get another one. My only concern is if I go on vacation for a week or 2, having someone (mainly my dad) feed it. The one I previously had was over a year old when it when surfing. I do now have a lid on it that should prevent that from happening.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your concerns about feeding? I had a fuzzy dwarf that ate frozen foods quite well. It’s easy enough to portion out frozen food for a tank sitter to feed the tank.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your concerns about feeding? I had a fuzzy dwarf that ate frozen foods quite well. It’s easy enough to portion out frozen food for a tank sitter to feed the tank.
what frozen foods are you feeding it?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my lion fish mysis, brine shrimp, plankton, Rod’s frozen foods and a bunch of other foods. I first started feeding it live ghost shrimp every other day. I hand fed them using tongs. On the days I didn’t do live, I offered frozen foods using a turkey baster. By the end of the second week, it was eating just frozen.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are invasive species that actively destroy reefs in the Caribbean..in Roatan, even tourists can get a license for spear gunning. ....they do Taste good though!! I wish this fish would be outlawed for LFS!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are invasive species that actively destroy reefs in the Caribbean..in Roatan, even tourists can get a license for spear gunning. ....they do Taste good though!! I wish this fish would be outlawed for LFS!

I really wish people would educate themselves to the cause of this invasion, it's humans. Humans have killed either through hunting or the destruction of the breeding grounds of the natural predators of these lionfish. I bet you have no problem with tons of ppe dumped into the oceans or the hunting of sharks and eels for sport or collection. You see sharks and eels are lionfish natural predators. You want to outlaw lionfish in the hobby, which makes no sense, since this would not change the situation one bit. But I bet you don't care about the massive amount of other species that are collected by humans that die at huge disgusting percentages and devastate the natural population of many species and the coral reefs.

You want to remedy this situation; stop polluting the ocean and stop hunting and collecting ALL species, and allow nature to take care of itself.

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish people would educate themselves to the cause of this invasion, it's humans. Humans have killed either through hunting or the destruction of the breeding grounds of the natural predators of these lionfish. I bet you have no problem with tons of ppe dumped into the oceans or the hunting of sharks and eels for sport or collection. You see sharks and eels are lionfish natural predators. You want to outlaw lionfish in the hobby, which makes no sense, since this would not change the situation one bit. But I bet you don't care about the massive amount of other species that are collected by humans that die at huge disgusting percentages and devastate the natural population of many species and the coral reefs.

You want to remedy this situation; stop polluting the ocean and stop hunting and collecting ALL species, and allow nature to take care of itself.
I'm an avid diver and Snorkeler who has visited many reefs across the eastern and Western Caribbean...I'm also a very avid person in favor of protecting our natural reefs, so don't pigeonhole me as some dunce who doesn't give a shyte about the ocean @lion king the fact is in those specific areas, Lion Fish are invasive and decimate reefs...I've seen it first hand. Judging by your user name, you love Lionfish...good for you.

You should go to the Caribbean and collect them, it will make the world a better place!

It's not humans brother!!

Listen to the NOAA...are they lying??https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/southeast/ecosystems/impacts-invasive-lionfish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an avid diver and Snorkeler who has visited many reefs across the eastern and Western Caribbean...I'm also a very avid person in favor of protecting our natural reefs, so don't pigeonhole me as some dunce who doesn't give a shyte about the ocean @lion king the fact is in those specific areas, Lion Fish are invasive and decimate reefs...I've seen it first hand. Judging by your user name, you love Lionfish...good for you.

You should go to the Caribbean and collect them, it will make the world a better place!

It's not humans brother!!

Listen to the NOAA...are they lying??https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/southeast/ecosystems/impacts-invasive-lionfish

I don't understand why people don't ask ,WHY this happened. You see HUMANS went into the region where the lionfish lived in balance with nature. They hunted; whether it be for sport, or food, or collection for this hobby. They destroyed the natural predators of the lionfish whether through these means, or the destruction of their breeding grounds. They also destroyed or limited the food source of the lionfish through these same means. So the lionfish now as a survivor without or with a limited number of predators, began to increase in numbers. Along with this and the limited food source again caused by the humans, begin to expand their territory to find food. NOW, the humans call the lionfish an invasive species. HUMANS are the invasive species.

CtrlFeq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should break this up into 2 points.

1. Lion fish originate from Indian and South Pacific oceans.
So to @lion king point over fishing has led to an increased population of in those areas
2. Lion fish invading US reefs, like the Florida Keys
This is where they are really doing damage as there aren't natural predators on these reefs (Groupers will try and sometimes succeed).

I

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So to @lion king point over fishing has led to an increased population of in those areas
This is where they are really doing damage as there aren't natural predators on these reefs (Groupers will try and sometimes succeed).

I

The point is humans disrupted the balance of nature and it's not the fault of the lionfish. I don't like humans that vilify the animals, and that's not just with lionfish, it every time you hear an issue with invasive species. At the root of it, it's always human encroachment and humans inability to live WITH nature.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steven91 sorry for derailing your thread

Feeding lions when away shouldn't present much of a problem, they will be fine with a disruption for a couple of weeks. They don't need to fed more than a couple times a week in not just once in a weeks time. I had a teenage girl feed my volitan, just taught her to drop the chunks in after getting his attention, had pre-made cups in the freezer. I just had someone drop a bag of ghossties into my tanks when the lions were eating live.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I
Lion fish invading US reefs, like the Florida Keys....

The reason why this happened is because of us, Reefers! people buy lion fish for their beauty, keep them in tiny tanks and when they grow up (6 months) they release them in the ocean because they dont want to kill it or find a bigger homw for them. There are no natural predators in Florida for Lion Fish thats why they are destroying the ecosystem by eating small fish and reproducing.

We need to educate our self. Unfortunately even Live Aquaria sells Volitan Lionfish and the tank recommendation is 120g according to them. Its a joke! I have one in 125g and she is miserable (going to new home this weekend) I think 200g should be minimum.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish invading US reefs, like the Florida Keys....

The reason why this happened is because of us, Reefers! people buy lion fish for their beauty, keep them in tiny tanks and when they grow up (6 months) they release them in the ocean because they dont want to kill it or find a bigger homw for them. There are no natural predators in Florida for Lion Fish thats why they are destroying the ecosystem by eating small fish and reproducing.

We need to educate our self. Unfortunately even Live Aquaria sells Volitan Lionfish and the tank recommendation is 120g according to them. Its a joke! I have one in 125g and she is miserable (going to new home this weekend) I think 200g should be minimum.

Correct.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back