Looking for Cade 1200 S2 Build Feedback

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking an almost 10 year break from reefing I decided to pick up a BioCube 32 for my son as he was showing a lot of interest in ocean life. After 7 months I'm into the hobby again and my son has become obsessed with it. His aspirations and honestly mine are too big for the BioCube so I've been doing research on larger options. After originally thinking I was going to pick up a Red Sea 525XL I'm now leaning towards the Cade S1200. So with that in mind I have compiled a list of equipment I was thinking about using and would love some feedback from anyone who has experience with the various components especially in a Cade or has suggestions for alternatives from what I'm thinking. I want to try to automate a fair bit of the work so that when I travel for work (usually just a few days) my wife only needs to really feed the tank as she isn't particularly interested in doing any more than that.

Tank & Stand: Cade 1200 S2
Wavemakers: 2 MP40 wQDs with the limpet wide flow pump guards
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra L2
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 200 SSS
Heater: 2 Ehiem Jager 200W
Lights: 2 AI Hydra 64HDs mounted with flex arms
Fuge Light: AI Prime Fuge
Controller: Apex. Thinking about just picking up the controller at first and then adding modules later as I get more comfortable with it and things get established in the tank
Ecotech Battery Backup

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that tank, but someone on here set one up awhile back:

I am certain other folk will have applicable comments, besides; "Welcome to Reef2Reef!"
bump-

OP
OP
C

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that tank, but someone on here set one up awhile back:

I am certain other folk will have applicable comments, besides; "Welcome to Reef2Reef!"
bump-
Yeah Ive been reading the various build posts of people with them. Ive been one of those people who just read tons of stuff on here but had never actually posted

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting a chance to circle back to this in full. I can't speak for automating, I have no experience with apex.

I run a dalua skimmer that I probably don't need, a Santa Monica surf ats, and a klir roller (with the other sock holder plugged). I am not running a refugium on account of the ats and it's a million times less work.

I have a sicce return that works great. Since I'm in this area of FL, I don't need heaters - but both my return & seneye will alert me if temp drops below a set point and I can add them.

I use the reefbreeders lights. & I have 2 rp-ms and get plenty of flow.

Running 2 cheapo jebao dosing systems as well.

The one thing we haven't fully set up yet is installing a float as backup in the ato chamber and a system to fill as needed directly. I'm still filling a jug and transferring. We plan to run the line closer so I can turn it on and fill as needed directly, using the float as a failsafe when I inevitably forget and leave it running.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking an almost 10 year break from reefing I decided to pick up a BioCube 32 for my son as he was showing a lot of interest in ocean life. After 7 months I'm into the hobby again and my son has become obsessed with it. His aspirations and honestly mine are too big for the BioCube so I've been doing research on larger options. After originally thinking I was going to pick up a Red Sea 525XL I'm now leaning towards the Cade S1200. So with that in mind I have compiled a list of equipment I was thinking about using and would love some feedback from anyone who has experience with the various components especially in a Cade or has suggestions for alternatives from what I'm thinking. I want to try to automate a fair bit of the work so that when I travel for work (usually just a few days) my wife only needs to really feed the tank as she isn't particularly interested in doing any more than that.

Tank & Stand: Cade 1200 S2
Wavemakers: 2 MP40 wQDs with the limpet wide flow pump guards
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra L2
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 200 SSS
Heater: 2 Ehiem Jager 200W
Lights: 2 AI Hydra 64HDs mounted with flex arms
Fuge Light: AI Prime Fuge
Controller: Apex. Thinking about just picking up the controller at first and then adding modules later as I get more comfortable with it and things get established in the tank
Ecotech Battery Backup
What kind of feedback are you looking for

OP
OP
C

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of feedback are you looking for
If people had thoughts on the equipment I was thinking about using with the Cade. If there were any special considerations to take account of since it’s a little different design than other tanks. And any general advice/lessons learned from anyone who has gone with a Cade

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people had thoughts on the equipment I was thinking about using with the Cade. If there were any special considerations to take account of since it’s a little different design than other tanks. And any general advice/lessons learned from anyone who has gone with a Cade
I work at algaebarn and take care of several of the cade and I have one of the 1200s2 myself really like the tank I didn't think I would like the fact that it's already to go plumbing cause I like to do my own but it's already got the manifolds ND ev set ything on it . I went barebottom also because of the white tank bottom looks real sharp . And the powerstrips are really nice to have. I know I work for the company but honestly I ha ent had a tank thats a s nice and I've had every brand but planet aquarium. And these are nicer

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all the equipment your got listed sounds just fine I love having an apex . I have 3 hydra 32s on mine with the t5hybrid. I'm not a big fan of the vectra pump but it's just personal preference I've used them at work and there good pumps I like the reefoctopus varios pumps I have the 200 regal instead of the elite so good there. This is the first tank I don't ha e a refugium on and working at algaebarn that's kinda blaspheme but I have a cheato reactor. I would recommend using ulva in the cadeand the prime fuge is my choice also. 2 mp40s should be good I have 2 2k gyres and 2 Nero 3s o. The back wall. Sounds like you ha e it all planned out good to go.

archgetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my CADE 1200s. Two things: 1. the little windows that tell you the level of the ATO don't work. Even CADE people admit it. Drop a float switch into the ATO to tell you when it's nearly empty. 2. if you use fine sand, the lower intake will pick a lot of fine sand up and clog the filter socks quickly.
Your equipment sounds fine! I'm envious in fact.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back