Looking for help troubleshooting RODI pressure. (Before membrane)

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi looking for some help with troubleshooting RODI pressure.

I’ve recently replaced all filter thinking this was the issue but I’m still getting close to 0 psi on gauge when making new water.

The pressure gauge (glycerin type from BRS) is installed between last carbon stage and the entry into RO membrane.

I’ve tested each pre filter by installing the gauge after each one..and getting a reading at close to house pressure of 55psi after each. But as soon as I place the gauge just before the membrane, it doesn’t read higher than 2psi.

It’s a brand new RO membrane (75gpd Dow Filmtec). The inline flush valve/pressure reducer is in correct position (perpendicular) and is for this membrane.

The unit is still producing 0 TDS water..but how am I supposed to know if pre-filters are becoming clogged if the gauge is already showing near 0 psi? (All while I’m getting house pressure readings of 55psi after installing gauge after each pre filter canister?

Lastly, if I place gauge before the auto-shutoff valve, install a closed valve on the end of the gauge and turn on water supply, I also get a 55psi reading.

I’m at a loss as to what’s going on. Am I missing something obvious?

Help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your tds before and after membrane?

Did you make sure to seat the membrane fully in the housing?
Sometimes they are a little tough to remove and seat.
Hi thanks very much.
I’m getting 0 TDS both at before DI stage and after. I’ve also rechecked the membrane.( I pulled it out and re-seated it back until it clicked/to very bottom).

One thing that seems odd if that the flow restrict or/flush valve is only hissing very quietly. I can recall it being louder..but that might’ve been whej I had a different GPD setup running.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can you include a photo where you have it installed to get 0psi while operating?
Sure. Thanks again. Here’s pic of setup and the gauge. I notice it is higher than I thought at 6psi- but shouldn’t it be 25 or higher? Or is this my mistake perhaps?

Attachments

• A88ABDE8-DDF0-458B-80BF-408234AD6443.jpeg
    A88ABDE8-DDF0-458B-80BF-408234AD6443.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 78
  • FBAE6A35-E4BE-4BBA-B113-FD2346923116.jpeg
    FBAE6A35-E4BE-4BBA-B113-FD2346923116.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something has plugged the tubing?
Ok- I’ll check the ro housing ports and and all tubing exiting (I’m getting 55psi before the RO hosing but only if I have closed valve directly after the gauge. As soon as I connect exit side of gauge line to RO housing the pressure drops to 6psi.
I’m thinking this should be higher shouldn’t it?

Or is this my error in thinking?
Thanks again for assistance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plugged lines found.
I’ve reconnected everything and have pressure gauge just before RO housing IN and still around 5psi.

I ended placing a valve between gauge and the RO housing IN…and when main water is on to make water..and I close the valve, the gauge reads 55psi.

Does the fact that there’s hardly any hiss sound coming from flow restrict or/flush valve indicate that this is the issue?

I’m curious what others have as a psi reading before RO when making water.
Maybe I’m expecting something I shouldn’t.(?)

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plugged lines found.
I’ve reconnected everything and have pressure gauge just before RO housing IN and still around 5psi.

I ended placing a valve between gauge and the RO housing IN…and when main water is on to make water..and I close the valve, the gauge reads 55psi.

Does the fact that there’s hardly any hiss sound coming from flow restrict or/flush valve indicate that this is the issue?

I’m curious what others have as a psi reading before RO when making water.
Maybe I’m expecting something I shouldn’t.(?)

Put your gauge in the correct position, right before the running flow hits your di stage.

Pull out the ro membrane and screw back on its lid to its canister and try again with your ro canister empty.

The red tube should be your untreated water or your in line.

Then post your running PSI, and let us know if good water is coming out of your di stage.

If it is posable, please stay very active on your thread, until we get this resolved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your gauge in the correct position, right before the running flow hits your di stage.

Pull out the ro membrane and screw back on its lid to its canister and try again with your ro canister empty.

The red tube should be your untreated water or your in line.

Then post your running PSI, and let us know if good water is coming out of your di stage.

If it is posable, please stay very active on your thread, until we get this resolved.
Ok- I’ll try that. The BRS bud for installing pressure gauge said to stall it just before the RO housing Inlet. ..but I’ll see what happens when it’s installed right for my DI stage.

Yes the red line comes from my last carbon stage (I have 2) and enters RO housing Inlet (after ASO valve).

Will post update shortly. Thanks.

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- I’ll try that. The BRS bud for installing pressure gauge said to stall it just before the RO housing Inlet. ..but I’ll see what happens when it’s installed right for my DI stage.

Yes the red line comes from my last carbon stage (I have 2) and enters RO housing Inlet (after ASO valve).

Will post update shortly. Thanks.
He’s wrong.

Tie in that pressure gauge on your blue line right up to and before the water hits your di stage. Just leave that pressure right there, from here and on out.

Right now the goal is to see your PSI with the gauge in its correct position, and if you have water output, while your ro canister is empty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve checked another install video that also says to install it before RO inlet.

In any case, I’ve re-installed just before DI stage as you suggested to see and there’s no change..still under 5.
See pic 1.

In pic 2 the yellow arrow points to were it was before. Ans I’m holding the gauge along with the valve used for testing only…what’s curious is that when I had gauge before RO inlet - I get 55psi with blue valve closed and under 5psi open.

The function of the pressure gauge’s from what I’ve read so far is to know when pre filters are clogged. But as soon as water is allowed to flows through RO the gauge pressure drops to under 5psi.

I’m suspecting a faulty flow restrictor at this point..as I’ve bought all new filters, including membrane.

If someone could chime in with what psi they are getting typically while making water..measure before water enters the RO inlet - be really appreciated. (My membrane is 75gpd)

Cheers

E2EDA48D-0883-4B6A-87B2-1083A08EC4B7.jpeg D2F99157-E074-4657-A098-89A282DEC4D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is straight from BRS pressure gauge installation video.

Attachments

• F4B763A6-0F7A-43C9-9E25-558AA4C6AE64.jpeg
    F4B763A6-0F7A-43C9-9E25-558AA4C6AE64.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37
  • F7F3F005-0DAA-4E53-8DC0-4B26ABB37093.jpeg
    F7F3F005-0DAA-4E53-8DC0-4B26ABB37093.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 89186505-B6D7-4FCB-A3DA-EFBF57CAA329.jpeg
    89186505-B6D7-4FCB-A3DA-EFBF57CAA329.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is straight from BRS pressure gauge installation video.
Sorry about that, my gauge is in that position as well. Just looked at the the entire unit.

Put it back into that position and see if your have any good water coming out off your di stage.

If not, try to bypass your square white auto flush valve and try again, while keeping your ro membrane out of the equation. Just see if you have good water output after your di stage.

FWIW
psi coming into my unit was just about the same and flow rate was real slow. Bought a booster pump and dialed in the ro/di making water pressure to 80psi, works great, but that may not be your issue.

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valhalla,
Since you are still trouble shooting:

If case you need or want a good booster pump setup down the line.

Grab this / super nice (heavy duty) small pre-filter

and this / no need to pay BRS $180 for the same product

If your (ro/di making water) jumps over 80psi dial it back. Be sure to buy those lock down clips for all of your connections too.

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did something similar after I installed a Booster Pump, Gauge started reading lower and lower. Got an 1/8 or 1/4 X Murdoc Fitting from Lowe’s, matched to the Gauge size. Screwed it into the gauge port, pushed water from the supply faucet to clear. I think the clog was at the Gauge Fitting. Probably Teflon Tape or a tiny piece of Carbon.

Upvote 0

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you have your gauge now but before the membrane is where you want it. Mine is screwed into the membrane housing and reads the same 80 psi running and shut off

How do you have it hooked up to the water supply? If you are using a pierce valve look there.

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did something similar after I installed a Booster Pump, Gauge started reading lower and lower. Got an 1/8 or 1/4 X Murdoc Fitting from Lowe’s, matched to the Gauge size. Screwed it into the gauge port, pushed water from the supply faucet to clear. I think the clog was at the Gauge Fitting. Probably Teflon Tape or a tiny piece of Carbon.
That's a good point. Maybe something is clogging that port or line.

My gauge is in the same location. I have a booster pump. I have my system set at 75psi.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting- ok, perhaps the issue is with the gauge supply line itself. Appreciated

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valhalla,
Since you are still trouble shooting:

If case you need or want a good booster pump setup down the line.

Grab this / super nice (heavy duty) small pre-filter

and this / no need to pay BRS $180 for the same product

If your (ro/di making water) jumps over 80psi dial it back. Be sure to buy those lock down clips for all of your connections too.
Interesting thanks. Much appreciated
I’ll save those in case needed.

I don’t think I’ll need a booster as my house pressure is 60psi and I’ve plumbed a dedicated supply just off of main’s PRV which I could actually dial higher psi if needed, maybe I should.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back