Looking for Lighting Program Suggestions for Kessil A360X

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for lighting program suggestions. Kessil suggests 8 to 12 inches above the water line.

I have a Kessil A360x over a 20 gallon Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion with pro screen over the tank.

I also have the Kessil Narrow Reflector attached which "increases the center light intensity by up to 3x while adding a dynamic depth to your tank". BRS specs "Maximum Coverage Area - 20" x 20"
Penetration - up to 5 feet".

That's deep! But I like it because it blocks out the light from my eyes as I sit on the couch and view the tank from just under light level.

Currently there is nothing but rocks in the tank but I want to keep a mixed reef with SPS colony's on the top of both rocks.

Does anyone have a similar set up?

Given what I got what schedule and intensity would you suggest?

Thanks!

20190924_212049.jpg 20190924_212105.jpg

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of light on a 20 gallon tank so I would run at low intensity until corals adapt to it. Also Sps is extremely difficult in a tank that small so testing every day is recommend

OP
OP
SaltyGroves

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of light on a 20 gallon tank so I would run at low intensity until corals adapt to it. Also Sps is extremely difficult in a tank that small so testing every day is recommend
Thanks for stopping by @Bigwrasse I plan to get a Trident when I can lay my hands on one at retail value. But then with such a small tank a Trident will use about 2 cups or water a week in testing if I just did the math correct. That means I'd be dropping maybe a 0.5 in salinity a week? Then correcting with a water change. Hopefully that isn't a big swing on some bird nest? Definitely many fun challenges to consider on this nano! Then again dosing raises salinity by just a little if I understood Lou's talk at MACNA correctly. Maybe it will all even out.

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident and some dosing pumps will definitely help keep things stable as sps doesn’t like Alk swings at all. Nano tanks are far more challenging for keeping Sps but with the right equipment and husbandry it’s possible. I travel a lot and I rely on my Apex and my wife to check on my tank so I would definitely have dead coral with a Nano

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back