Loud overflow

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so tank is up and running, but my over flow basically sounds like a toilet filling. cannot seem to get the overflow box to fill all the way to reduce the water pouring noise. the overflow was already built into this tank when i bought it and the water level had obviously sat higher than it is now in the previous owners set up. its set up sorta like a stand pipe but setup out side of the tank. will attach pictures to follow. my current plan is to install a gate valve onto the pipe from the tank to the sump.

757b1a4d70e2271eb0d602bf7f92dd98.png

https://gyazo.com/757b1a4d70e2271eb0d602bf7f92dd98

my thoughts is i can reduce the flow to the sump just enough to raise the water level in the tank to fill the overflow box, but do not know if this is a bad idea or not.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that is a horrible setup. Do not use a valve to restrict the flow without an emergency drain as it WILL flood out of the tank onto your floor eventually.

Short term, if you reduce the flow on your return you can quiet down the overflow.

Long term replace the overflow with a herbie overflow or better.

edit: typos

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess is two fold:
A) like said above, too much flow for that setup. Reduce the return rate either by slowing the pump or adding a valve in the line.
B) That system is very new looking so you don’t have the biofilm that contributes to noise reduction and cushions flow.

A may fix it, B will take time. Good luck.

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No amount of biofilm will ever quite that setup down.
Try one of these!

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this won’t help a lot but when the water is splashing into the sump it makes it louder. If you have the pvc go into the water it quiets it down a little. But like I said not sure if that’s the loud part

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without reading these replies switch to a herbie overfliw. You will love it. In a nutshell, I asdume your overflow has 2 holes. Run return up and over behind tank. On the small hole run a pipe straight up about 6" below water line, put intake screen on this pipe, add gate valve below tank before it enters sump. On large hole put pipe up about 1" below overflow height. Use gate valve to tune water level in overflow till its just trickeling into the large pipe.

The large pipe is an emergency overflow, small is suction 100% underwater so no noise.

Google herbie overflow

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but the answer is more flow not less. This is the good old fashioned Glass Holes overflow system that worked great for years before the Bean Animal and Herbie ideas came about. I've been running like this for 15 years. Take a piece of silicone or RO water tubing and slide it down the drain elbow several inches, while keeping the other end up above the water level in the overflow. This works exactly like the vent systems in our house plumbing drains that are required by code. You do need more flow though. Definitely do not put a valve on the drain coming from overflow down to sump. Get a bigger return pump and put a valve on the discharge of it so you can fine tune the amount of water going in tank. Just make sure to keep that overflow cover on to keep from ever having a snail or something get in and block that flow.

F6A1DBCD-4A1C-42EE-9AEA-09FA700BAB60.jpeg

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but the answer is more flow not less. This is the good old fashioned Glass Holes overflow system that worked great for years before the Bean Animal and Herbie ideas came about. I've been running like this for 15 years. Take a piece of silicone or RO water tubing and slide it down the drain elbow several inches, while keeping the other end up above the water level in the overflow. This works exactly like the vent systems in our house plumbing drains that are required by code. You do need more flow though. Definitely do not put a valve on the drain coming from overflow down to sump. Get a bigger return pump and put a valve on the discharge of it so you can fine tune the amount of water going in tank. Just make sure to keep that overflow cover on to keep from ever having a snail or something get in and block that flow.

F6A1DBCD-4A1C-42EE-9AEA-09FA700BAB60.jpeg

how much flow do you think is necessary? i have a 800 gps reef octopus return pump. and a 300 gph return running together, one for uv and one for main return. i tried pushing tube down drain pipe and did see a good amount of noise reduction but still higher than what i had hope for. i thought this stand pipe would function the same as my old durso stand pipe but not so much. this will at least keep tank cycling though while i wait for a new overflow to arrive.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No amount of biofilm will ever quite that setup down.
Try one of these!

have you tried one of these? considering buying. not sure the risk to having it external.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this won’t help a lot but when the water is splashing into the sump it makes it louder. If you have the pvc go into the water it quiets it down a little. But like I said not sure if that’s the loud part

actually sump is dead quite, its only the overflow causing any issue but thanks!

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a096fee02455407b25a392badab5b89b.png

https://gyazo.com/a096fee02455407b25a392badab5b89b

anybody have any experiance with one of these? would save me drilling a new hole in my tank and should be really easy to rework plumbing

i have this (small) in my 14G and it is silent if done right. i had to cut a slightly taller pipe to replace the red emergency one as the water level was too low, resulting in splashing sounds but after the mod it is silent.

I also added a strainer to the open channel as one of my clowns took a dive into it one day and nearly died (got stuck on the gate valve gate).

i highly recommend this.

do note that with this set up you WILL NEED a valve of some sort on the open channel, a proper gate valve that takes multiple turns is ideal so its easier to dial in.

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in agreement with many of the posted replies. Absolutely DO NOT restrict a single drain line. It significantly increases the likelihood of a flood -- and possible divorce!

The easiest fix would be to remove the 90 and pipe from the bulkhead, if possible. If not, replace the bulkhead and use it to attach an external overflow box with THREE drain bulkheads for a "Herbie" set-up. You can restrict one line with a gate, place a durso on the second, and the third run directly to your sump.

If you're feeling particularly handy, drill another hole in the back pane at the appropriate distance that will allow the attachment of any one of several commercially available external overflows.

PM me if you would like more details or have questions.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in agreement with many of the posted replies. Absolutely DO NOT restrict a single drain line. It significantly increases the likelihood of a flood -- and possible divorce!

The easiest fix would be to remove the 90 and pipe from the bulkhead, if possible. If not, replace the bulkhead and use it to attach an external overflow box with THREE drain bulkheads for a "Herbie" set-up. You can restrict one line with a gate, place a durso on the second, and the third run directly to your sump.

If you're feeling particularly handy, drill another hole in the back pane at the appropriate distance that will allow the attachment of any one of several commercially available external overflows.

PM me if you would like more details or have questions.

LOL the divorce option is why silencing and not flooding this room is so important LOL im looking at differnt options for a external overflow right now, ill order it tomorrow after some research and move all water rock and sand to a holding container until i can get it installed. im trying to avoid drilling another hole in the tank but it looks like there is quite a few options for a single bulk head to run a herbie style over flow.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a096fee02455407b25a392badab5b89b.png

https://gyazo.com/a096fee02455407b25a392badab5b89b

anybody have any experiance with one of these? would save me drilling a new hole in my tank and should be really easy to rework plumbing
This would be quieter in that one drain is full siphon and the other is emergency overflow that would make lots of noise. It allows a valve in the main drain to fine tune noise/water level, and requires enough flow to keep a full siphon going without the same gurgling issue you've got now. It also requires you to run two drain lines into your sump.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow sounded like Niagara Falls. When I did a wc. I emptied my overfliw completely. Then made a taller pipe and that part is dead silent. Then it was still loud entering the tank. Since my sump is a lifereef the pvc pipe kept falling of. I used an Oring and it stays in place now. Quiet as can be.

OP
OP
Brandon42

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wet Work

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is an o-ring beneath the bulkhead flange inside the intake box, you will absolutely need to add another between the outside of the intake box and the inside of the glass pane. If you don't, water will wick along the threads and definitely leak. Alternatively, you can use silicone, but ensure it is not "Silicone II", which contains anti-mildew chemicals and allow ample curing time (24-48 hours).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back