Low alkalinity high calcium with Reactor

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Buh Buh Bacon, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Buh Buh Bacon

Buh Buh Bacon Member

I currently have slightly low alkalinity between 6.4 and 7 and high calcium (a little over 500). Things in the reef are thriving. I have heard you can set the reactor for the desired alkalinity and the calcium will fall into proper range since it’s all about balance. pH is fine (maybe a little low at 8.1) but hesitant to do anything about it since corals, fish and inverts and everything are healthy and happy. Reason I’m asking is I’d like the alkalinity to be higher just on personal preference and the alkalinity to be lower. Is it possible the reactor size in an issue as it’s a relativiely small one for the 140 gallon tank? IE if I was to go with a bigger reactor would the alkalinity and calcium fall into where I want them to be?

GoVols likes this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Did you have everything in balance when you put the reactor online?

GoVols likes this.
  3. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Does your calcium continue to rise?

You want to tune your calcium reactor based upon your alk consumption.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    GoVols likes this.
  4. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

I caught an article about balancing out cal to alk with a cal calcium reactor and it had some of Randy's quotes in it.

It said that one thing to look at was to make sure that your reef as not lower than .35ppt in salinity, when running a cal reactor.

Denisk likes this.
  5. dimo

dimo Member Build Thread Contributor

The high calcium is probably coming from your salt mix and is kept extra high due to water changes. I have that same issue. Currently using RC which tests over 490 freshly mixed. When my current supply runs out I'm switching to a salt with less calcium.

GoVols and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  6. krausean

krausean Member

As far as I know, it's normal for levels to go out of whack over longer periods of time. Corals, inverts, and other things depending on calcium & carbonate don't necessarily uptake the same ratio of alk/cal as the reactor spits out. Also, check your Magnesium level, if you haven't already.

7. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

This I believe.

GoVols likes this.
  8. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

@dimo @saltyfilmfolks
    Good point.
    I do use a salt mix that mixes to my reef's (and cal reactors) parameters, at .35ppt

:)

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  9. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

What media are you using?

If it is lower in magnesium than the calcium carbonate that is being deposited in your tank, high calcium will result long term, just as it does dosing limewater/kalkwasser for calcium and alkalinity.

saltyfilmfolks and GoVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted