Luck be a Lady

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looney tunes hello GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
Good morning, update ??... ;) :)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
looney tunes hello GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
Good morning, update ??... ;) :)
Frank is getting hounded about puppy updates so I guess he is spreading it around. :D

... getit... Hounded...

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mornin. Sorry for the lack in updates lol. It’s been a fight.

Happy to say I’ve beaten the Dino’s out. No fish losses but there’s no coral save a green star polyp group that I have recently gotten. The flowers are…. Strange. The larger one is still doing good. The two others are not. Ones less than dime sized now and the other about the size of a nickel. Idk why.

Im thinking of equipment change. My skimmer doesn’t work well, im having issues getting it dialed in now. For some reason all the way “closed” is still too much making the cup full. The water level in the sump is the exact same as always so I have no idea what is up. So that’s something on my list of “needs”

My wavemakers all have quit rendering the LOOP Bluetooth controller practically useless. The light isn’t doing what I’d like it to do. Plus the mount makes me nervous as the way it puts pressure on the glass.

Im thinking a couple Nero’s and the newer AI blade Grow. Im still looking into those but they’re cheap for what they are and seem to give better spread.

But yeah, pics! We all love pics I think.
image000005.jpeg
image000003.jpeg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello , soo glad to hear from you !!... :)
I have to leave ATM , but Friends are here for you,
I am going to link this post to the Café, let us help you as a group...:)
Will send you PM in a bit...;):)
#Cronies
#Katrinarinos ...;)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Happy to say I’ve beaten the Dino’s out. No fish losses but there’s no coral save a green star polyp group that I have recently gotten. The flowers are…. Strange. The larger one is still doing good. The two others are not. Ones less than dime sized now and the other about the size of a nickel. Idk why.

Im thinking of equipment change. My skimmer doesn’t work well, im having issues getting it dialed in now. For some reason all the way “closed” is still too much making the cup full. The water level in the sump is the exact same as always so I have no idea what is up. So that’s something on my list of “needs”

My wavemakers all have quit rendering the LOOP Bluetooth controller practically useless. The light isn’t doing what I’d like it to do. Plus the mount makes me nervous as the way it puts pressure on the glass.

Im thinking a couple Nero’s and the newer AI blade Grow. Im still looking into those but they’re cheap for what they are and seem to give better spread.

image000005.jpeg
image000003.jpeg
Couple of silly questions:

What skimmer are you using? I found with the Bubble Magus, Fully Closed was actually max flow, Fully Open is almost fully bypassing the skimmer.

Are you testing phos and nitrates? What are those levels?

Have you checked for stray voltage?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of silly questions:

What skimmer are you using? I found with the Bubble Magus, Fully Closed was actually max flow, Fully Open is almost fully bypassing the skimmer.

Are you testing phos and nitrates? What are those levels?

Have you checked for stray voltage?
It’s just a cheap scaquariums skimmer. I’ve not tested since the dino outbreak. And haven’t tested for stray voltage. But wouldn’t I be able to not only see the signs in the fish, but feel it if I stuck my hands in the water?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s just a cheap scaquariums skimmer. I’ve not tested since the dino outbreak. And haven’t tested for stray voltage. But wouldn’t I be able to not only see the signs in the fish, but feel it if I stuck my hands in the water?
Supposedly you can feel it in cuts if you stick your hand in the tank once it gets high enough. Stray voltage can affect some corals before it affects fish. It's not a bad thing to check for especially if there's inexpensive equipment in the tank. Unfortunately the "affordable" products are sometimes more affordable because of their manufacturing processes - not always, but often enough it doesn't hurt to check.

If your nutrients are out of whack it can start affecting corals as well. No nitrates or super high nitrates can affect corals, same with phosphates.

pH or temperature swings lately?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image000005.jpeg
image000003.jpeg
Welcome back :)

Skimmer could just be settling in, mind doesnt always pull skim either. When its not, its time to dump some skimmate for me.

As far as lighting and your wave makers, all choices. If they work they work.

If we are talking rock flower nems, other cronies have far more experience. Mine are maxi minis and BTA's they have all just been happy in my tank, and sometimes not, they retreat to shade for a day or two. No bad experiences yet with them... so im helpless for you.

Just glad you beat dinos, tanks looking really healthy and ready for corals again :)

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rock flowers, yep. I’ll snap pics in lunch if I can steal Hubbs phone. My iPhone doesn’t like the blues but it seems his false more accurate shots.
Do you have Pro mode or Manual mode? Adjust the white balance up to 10,000K or as high as it'll go or turn the whites up and blues off on your lights?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly you can feel it in cuts if you stick your hand in the tank once it gets high enough. Stray voltage can affect some corals before it affects fish. It's not a bad thing to check for especially if there's inexpensive equipment in the tank. Unfortunately the "affordable" products are sometimes more affordable because of their manufacturing processes - not always, but often enough it doesn't hurt to check.

If your nutrients are out of whack it can start affecting corals as well. No nitrates or super high nitrates can affect corals, same with phosphates.

pH or temperature swings lately?
Temps do change when it gets warmer in the day due to just living in the south in a janky trailer lol. However it’s not really “swings”. Maybe three degrees up during the hottest part of the day bringing them to about 81 ish.
Ph has been consistent as well.

Yeah the powerheads have been replaced with off name brands. I’m wanting to switch to Nero’s I think. But man. $$ lol.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have Pro mode or Manual mode? Adjust the white balance up to 10,000K or as high as it'll go or turn the whites up and blues off on your lights?
My camera? It has neither. Lol. But here’s an example. Guess which is my phone lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so here’s some pics from yesterday. They aren’t great. I need to clean the glass. I know it looks “purple” but I promise it’s just the phones I can up to whites and snap later.
image000000.jpeg

Fts. One thing I absolutely hate about this light is the way it does the shimmer. It doesn’t blend well.

image000002.jpeg

Biggest rock flower. It’s always open. Eats well for me. Very happy flaming butthole.
image000005.jpeg

Comparison of the second largest with the largest. I just don’t understand why it’s so small in comparison. I feed it and sometimes it’ll eat. I don’t think it’s the lights. For what it’s worth my shrimp/ goby live under this rock. So maybe they’re picking at it from under. I think it would move if so but what do I know.
image000006.jpeg

The smallest one. Thisnone was actually below the other two but moved to the back and then to this side where I have no real camera access because it’s mean like that. Which is what led me to think the shrimp popping under there. Since it is hard to see, if you look at the first one and how it drapes over, like a thin blanket, the green one here is more, thick? In comparison. I offer food but its mouth seems so small and almost not even there. It’ll partially close over stuff but I don’t think it’s actively eating.

I offer some of the mysis/ brine shrimp that I feed the fish. I have reef roids but am thinking of moving onto something else as it doesn’t seem like I have anything that actually wants it and it caused some issues in the past. Will test the params this weekend.

Attachments

• image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230810_124219_01.jpeg
    IMG_20230810_124219_01.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Temps do change when it gets warmer in the day due to just living in the south in a janky trailer lol. However it’s not really “swings”. Maybe three degrees up during the hottest part of the day bringing them to about 81 ish.
Ph has been consistent as well.

Yeah the powerheads have been replaced with off name brands. I’m wanting to switch to Nero’s I think. But man. $$ lol.
I use off-brand most things...

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alright so here’s some pics from yesterday. They aren’t great. I need to clean the glass. I know it looks “purple” but I promise it’s just the phones I can up to whites and snap later.
image000000.jpeg

Fts. One thing I absolutely hate about this light is the way it does the shimmer. It doesn’t blend well.

image000002.jpeg

Biggest rock flower. It’s always open. Eats well for me. Very happy flaming butthole.
image000005.jpeg

Comparison of the second largest with the largest. I just don’t understand why it’s so small in comparison. I feed it and sometimes it’ll eat. I don’t think it’s the lights. For what it’s worth my shrimp/ goby live under this rock. So maybe they’re picking at it from under. I think it would move if so but what do I know.
image000006.jpeg

The smallest one. Thisnone was actually below the other two but moved to the back and then to this side where I have no real camera access because it’s mean like that. Which is what led me to think the shrimp popping under there. Since it is hard to see, if you look at the first one and how it drapes over, like a thin blanket, the green one here is more, thick? In comparison. I offer food but its mouth seems so small and almost not even there. It’ll partially close over stuff but I don’t think it’s actively eating.

I offer some of the mysis/ brine shrimp that I feed the fish. I have reef roids but am thinking of moving onto something else as it doesn’t seem like I have anything that actually wants it and it caused some issues in the past. Will test the params this weekend.
Grab a pair of orange shooting glasses for a cheap lens alternative.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can peel back cuticle lil bit , be sure to be wearing rubber sole shoes ,other hand touching nothing,
better yet just order ground probe , not expensive 10 $ ... ;) :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back