Lyretail Anthias

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! I have 2 lyretail anthias, which thanks to facebook's memory posts, I know I added them 1 year ago today. They have generally been the most active fish in my tank. As of late, I notice they both perch under one of my rock overhangs during the day. They come out to eat and beg for food anytime anyone goes near the tank, they are very heavy bodied, no signs of disease. No new fish in months. My clowns, watanabei, tang, and my dragonets all seem perfectly fine. Any thoughts?

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say some sort of aggression. I've had the same fish for years. My clowns have decided it's time to show the tank they are the boss.
If it's not serious, it might work itself out

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have trouble mixing angels of the genus genicanthus (your watanabeis for example) with Anthias due to similar feeding habits.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they are not being light sensitive. If they are, look for disease. Have you added anything to the tank in last few weeks to month?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas and my male lyretail have always had beef!
This has to do with midas blennies mimicking female lyretails, so the male gives chase as if it were a female, but being a blenny, it doesn't back down.

justjimarri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had four. They seemed great for a year, then one by one they disappeared. One went missing. One jump out the tank. So then I only had just my male and a female left. They hid in the rockwork under an over hang, the male jumps in an out to eat and the female really never left her hidding spot. This went on for about 3months before she staved to death. :(
Anthias are a group fish. When there is enough of them in the tank they get stressed out , lonely and scared. So maybe you just need to add a couple young females.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had four. They seemed great for a year, then one by one they disappeared. One mission. One jump out the tank. I had just my male and a female left. They hide in the rockwork under an over hang, the male jumps in an out and the female really never left her hidding spot. This went on for about 3months before she staved to death. :(
Anthias are a group fish. When there is enough of them in the tank they get stressed out , lonely and scared. So maybe you just need to add a couple young females.
That really depends more on tankmates. I have found squammipinnis are just fine as sole members of their species in a tank.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they are not being light sensitive. If they are, look for disease. Have you added anything to the tank in last few weeks to month?
I did change my light setting...I am really going to have to watch, so far they are both eating and they will swim around for a bit before perching again. I appreciate all the thoughts, it gives me a place to start.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back