Magma Wrasse

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As those start to become more and more available what your take on them?
any noticed compatibility issues? I heard that they look nice while stressed but after they stabilize in a tank they somehow fade a bit in colors?
Acquired mine few days back and it's in quarantine and not sure what to expect on intro, its of course going in an introduction box but any one noticed any clear aggression from any other wrasses?
I have the following: Flame, lineatus, rubrimarginatus (he's the boss) adornatus, lubocks, meleagris, bipartitus pair, melanurus pair, rubriventralis, aurantidorsalis, radiant wrass, exquisite, few flashers...
thanks.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've probably seen this, but thought I'd put it up for point of reference for others. I have a flame, so I passed on one at the store the other day. But I don't haven't heard anything about them so far since they're so new. I think they're from the north philippines? Or that's my assumption as there have been a lot of cool fish coming in from there. Tagging a long just because I want to know how yours turns out with your full house! What size tank are they in?

cirrhilabruscomplexes-png.567235

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for posting this, yes had seen it before but beleive the magma has not been classified yet so not sure where it fits. I do have a tonozukai in quarantine as well as well as the following on my list to come:
isosceles, choati, rhomboid and if I'm lucky possibly a femininus . so even without the additional one I think I do have one at least from each complex. I've only removed one wrass so far which was the Teminicky, honestly it wasn't over agressive but Ive seen the damage a terminal male did in a friends tank and decided to remove when my tank leaked as I had the chance... the only agression I've seen was from a pair of ornatus on any bipartitus I added and recently from the melanurus pair over the newly introduced bipartitus pair.
tank is a 400G but as corals have not overgrown yet its still a bit open and fish tend to see each other more than in a mature tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same group as C. jordani. which is the main reason I haven't acquired one. I will be interested to see if they keep their saturated colors in captivity. My Flame gets more colorful as time goes by so I suspect they will too.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do hope he keeps his colors but don't think he'll be anywhere as nice as the Jordani. Mine was purchased as a female and started transitioning. She's a bit dominated by the rubrimargin so it's s a slow transition. I added my lineatus few weeks back which is closer in shape to the rubrimargin there was very minimal flashing close to the intro box but in day 3 lineatus escaped the intro box and was swimming in open water with no aggression. I made an impulse buy with a Scott's and was hesitant to add as well due to reports of them being agressive, unfortunately it jumped out of q tank

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magma is on the new chart. It's in the same complex as jordani, so if there will be an issue it woyuld be with the flame. But in a 400g, it should be fine.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a magma wrasse and have noticed slight color fade over time (1 year) but it's still very vibrant. The cherry red color is still like no other, especially when flashing which it does all day long. I've owned 2 flame wrasses since owning my magma. The mohawk flame paid no mind to the magma and vice versa while my second jordani after the mohawk died was extremely aggressive towards it. I eventually rehomed the 2nd jordani because of this aggression. The temperament of my magma was not an issue, very peaceful in fact.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do the magmas come from, was I right with northern Phillipines? What's they're Latin name?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do the magmas come from, was I right with northern Phillipines? What's they're Latin name?
Correct, they're from Northern Philippines. They don't currently have a Latin name, as they are currently undescribed, but that should change very shortly.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's they're Latin name?
(sp. on the chart is indicative of a scientific placeholder, in that it's recognized as a unique species at this point in time but does not yet have an official description - and therefore no Latin name. There's a couple others on there too in the same situation).

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for posting this, yes had seen it before but beleive the magma has not been classified yet so not sure where it fits. I do have a tonozukai in quarantine as well as well as the following on my list to come:
isosceles, choati, rhomboid and if I'm lucky possibly a femininus . so even without the additional one I think I do have one at least from each complex. I've only removed one wrass so far which was the Teminicky, honestly it wasn't over agressive but Ive seen the damage a terminal male did in a friends tank and decided to remove when my tank leaked as I had the chance... the only agression I've seen was from a pair of ornatus on any bipartitus I added and recently from the melanurus pair over the newly introduced bipartitus pair.
tank is a 400G but as corals have not overgrown yet its still a bit open and fish tend to see each other more than in a mature tank.
I just read that you have a Tono's wrasse. I had my Tono's before I had my magma and of all the fairy wrasse I have, he's the one who won't leave the magma alone. They do mildly resemble one another, so coloration and general aggressiveness of the Tono's might play a role. I am planning to move the Tono's to another tank if it continues too long.

Perhaps you'll be okay of you add them to the display at the same time.

I notice a tiny bit of aggression from the margin fairy I have, but nothing to write home about - I think it's more showing off the anything.

I have many other wrasse and no others have even looked at the magma sideways, including my velvet wrasse.

Good luck! It's a nice fish to be sure :)

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Yes both are in separate quarantines and will be added together soon.. I'm counting on my margin to keep both in check, he has so many other wrasses to keep in check as well sondodbt he'll do any harm.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back