Mandarin question - Introducing male - with established female

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female green mandarin in my 108 gallon....She's been in there for a couple of months now and is doing great. Fat and healthy. I have a thriving pod population in the tank, and culture Tisbe and Tig pods on the side as well - just in case. I've been wanting to add a male for awhile, and ordered one from Biota. He arrived two days ago, and is currently in a 10 gallon observation tank. He is eating pods and pellets just fine. My problem is....my female is about 1.75 inches long, and the male they sent me is much smaller.- maybe just over an inch. I've been reading that this size difference may be an issue - as the female may be very aggressive to a smaller male. So....should I put him in and watch closely? Or should I keep in the the QT to grow?

TIA

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make a post on Tinder for these kinds of situations. :)

(Common, someone must have a legit answer!) bump

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female green mandarin in my 108 gallon....She's been in there for a couple of months now and is doing great. Fat and healthy. I have a thriving pod population in the tank, and culture Tisbe and Tig pods on the side as well - just in case. I've been wanting to add a male for awhile, and ordered one from Biota. He arrived two days ago, and is currently in a 10 gallon observation tank. He is eating pods and pellets just fine. My problem is....my female is about 1.75 inches long, and the male they sent me is much smaller.- maybe just over an inch. I've been reading that this size difference may be an issue - as the female may be very aggressive to a smaller male. So....should I put him in and watch closely? Or should I keep in the the QT to grow?

TIA
I've also heard to add a smaller female to an established male. If you choose to proceed, I would proceed with caution. Acclimation box first and monitor.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I tried this a while ago, Have 3 year old Captive breed female, Aquired a captive breed male, who was smaller to her, Once in tank she hunted him down,,,, Well rest of story, is she is still single...

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the female is bigger she will kick his hinney. When I added the 3 I have, 1 female was a little bit bigger than the male and she nailed him on the way to the bottom. As he out grew her they started hanging out together and now all 3 stick close to each other.

Best advice is keep them separate until he's her size or bigger.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone....I'm going to leave him in the QT for awhile, and let him grow. He seems happy - hunting pods all day. Last question....how fast will he grow? Just trying to figure out a time line.

Back