Mantis Tank Setup

Hotshot163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've toyed with the idea of a saltwater setup for years now, and I recently came across the mantis shrimp. These little critters have pretty much inspired me to move from a theoretical setup to an actual setup! Since I am a newbie to saltwater and I dont want a completely austere aquascape, I was thinking of macros/soft corals to round out the tank and still keep things simple. Anyone have any recommendations, advice, or observations to share? Cheers, all.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are relatively easy to keep. A 10 gallon works for most. If it is a larger species, a 20 long would most likely suffice.

A hob filter, heater, sand, some rock, a small power head for water flow, a cheap led hood that's commonly found on the 'complete packages' at Petco would be all that's really needed.

Keeping up with water quality with water changes would be your best bet.

If you think you'll want to get into corals later, buy a better light right off the start so you dont need to buy another later.

OP
OP
H

Hotshot163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looking at a larger species, and looking to give him lots of room. Softies and macros are very much on the docket, assuming there aren't any conflicts with doing that. I've read that low light/high flow is best to keep down shell rot and more closely mimic their natural environment.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I’ve heard is that you should put plastic or acrylic at the bottom of the tank so that the mantis doesn’t break through the bottom. I’m not sure how likely it is that that would happen, but it’s something to look into.

OP
OP
H

Hotshot163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same thing, ShrimpNibbler. Seems to be a larger concern with thinner glass and little substrate for them when they dig out their dens. I'm looking at a 1/2" thick glass setup with some abs PVC for it to use as a den and a ~2" substrate layer. Others with that config haven't had issues with the bottom.

OP
OP
H

Hotshot163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon Waterbox that I keep a zoa garden, some euphyllia, and a G. smithii. He ignores the corals completely.

Totally missed your response, Sierra Bravo. Good to hear! How does he tolerate the lighting?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally missed your response, Sierra Bravo. Good to hear! How does he tolerate the lighting?

Truth be told, he used to be out and about until I put a six line in with him. That worked for about 6 mos, but eventually, the wrasse started harassing the shrimp and he went into hiding. The wrasse is long since removed, but I don't see my shrimp much anymore.

OP
OP
H

Hotshot163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told, he used to be out and about until I put a six line in with him. That worked for about 6 mos, but eventually, the wrasse started harassing the shrimp and he went into hiding. The wrasse is long since removed, but I don't see my shrimp much anymore.

Bummer that he has gone into hiding. I've heard that the Smithii are usually pretty outgoing and inquisitive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back