Marble cat. Not eating?

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Marble cat for about two weeks. He’s eating but not as much as my bamboos. The Marble cats about 18-20”. He’s acclimating. Very active at night doesn’t move all day. I feed him half a silverside( tail side) about 2” He takes it chews it and spits it out. There is no sign of a goiter. No swelling. I wasnt expecting to see anything as it wasn’t at the LFS for more than 5 days before I picked it up. And my understanding is goiters take month to appear in captivity. Not sure how much of the mazuri vit he’s eating as like I said he constantly takes it chews spits it out. And takes it again.

Thoughts. What I can do to get him to eat more. I now taken to place small pieces of shrimp and silversides throughout the DT at night in hopes that he eats more. Hard to tell who’s eating with the bamboos also hunting at night.

Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Marble cat for about two weeks. He’s eating but not as much as my bamboos. The Marble cats about 18-20”. He’s acclimating. Very active at night doesn’t move all day. I feed him half a silverside( tail side) about 2” He takes it chews it and spits it out. There is no sign of a goiter. No swelling. I wasnt expecting to see anything as it wasn’t at the LFS for more than 5 days before I picked it up. And my understanding is goiters take month to appear in captivity. Not sure how much of the mazuri vit he’s eating as like I said he constantly takes it chews spits it out. And takes it again.

Thoughts. What I can do to get him to eat more. I now taken to place small pieces of shrimp and silversides throughout the DT at night in hopes that he eats more. Hard to tell who’s eating with the bamboos also hunting at night.

Thoughts?

You're correct, goiter won't show up on a fish bad enough to keep them from eating in that short time frame.

Can you try stick feeding it other foods? Broadcast feeding won't allow you to really know if it is eating or not.
Any other fish in the tank, and are they all fine?

Jay

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct, goiter won't show up on a fish bad enough to keep them from eating in that short time frame.

Can you try stick feeding it other foods? Broadcast feeding won't allow you to really know if it is eating or not.
Any other fish in the tank, and are they all fine?

Jay

He’s in there with two bamboos, Hawaii trigger and several tangs. He’s not being harassed. I do stick feed him under his ledge. He takes it. Chews it a few times spits it out. Does it several times. Sometimes he swallows it but mostly just leaves it. Breathing is normal. Bamboo sharks are eating great. At night extreme active non stop swimming back and forth . He might be picking up scraps as there’s always bits of shrimp and silversides laying on the bottom. My nitrates have been in the 60 but doesn’t seem to be effecting the bamboos.

Are you still feeding daily?
I’ve cut back but the bamboos go nuts as soon as food hits the water. I do try to feed the Marble cat daily. But difficult because he hides during the day and refuses to come out until lights off ( By lights off I mean even room lights, TV)

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in there with two bamboos, Hawaii trigger and several tangs. He’s not being harassed. I do stick feed him under his ledge. He takes it. Chews it a few times spits it out. Does it several times. Sometimes he swallows it but mostly just leaves it. Breathing is normal. Bamboo sharks are eating great. At night extreme active non stop swimming back and forth . He might be picking up scraps as there’s always bits of shrimp and silversides laying on the bottom. My nitrates have been in the 60 but doesn’t seem to be effecting the bamboos.

I’ve cut back but the bamboos go nuts as soon as food hits the water. I do try to feed the Marble cat daily. But difficult because he hides during the day and refuses to come out until lights off ( By lights off I mean even room lights, TV)
You’ve probably tried, but smaller food pieces can help.
I would also try a live Molly/guppy on a stick (a bit off putting to some people) - that’s how I always get newly hatched bamboos to feed.
Jay

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve probably tried, but smaller food pieces can help.
I would also try a live Molly/guppy on a stick (a bit off putting to some people) - that’s how I always get newly hatched bamboos to feed.
Jay
I’ve tried Dime size pieces. Same thing. Bites sucks it in. Chews spits out. Sucks it back in. He does every now and then take a big piece 2” and swallows. Maybe I’m comparing apples and oranges but my bamboos can’t seem to stop eating. The bamboos mouth is smaller than the Marble cats. ( Bamboos are definitely thicker ) And they have eaten full silversides. He ignores any attempt to feed while he’s cruising the tank at night.

You think he still might be acclimating to his new surroundings? Can I be stressing him out waving a stick with a fish in front of him when he’s hiding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried Dime size pieces. Same thing. Bites sucks it in. Chews spits out. Sucks it back in. He does every now and then take a big piece 2” and swallows. Maybe I’m comparing apples and oranges but my bamboos can’t seem to stop eating. The bamboos mouth is smaller than the Marble cats. ( Bamboos are definitely thicker ) And they have eaten full silversides. He ignores any attempt to feed while he’s cruising the tank at night.

You think he still might be acclimating to his new surroundings? Can I be stressing him out waving a stick with a fish in front of him when he’s hiding?

IMO, it should have acclimated to your tank in two weeks. I wonder if the bamboos are intimidating it?

The key to using a feeding stick is to not touch the face of the shark with the food, but rather, to move it close to its mouth and let it come to the food.

Jay

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it should have acclimated to your tank in two weeks. I wonder if the bamboos are intimidating it?

The key to using a feeding stick is to not touch the face of the shark with the food, but rather, to move it close to its mouth and let it come to the food.

Jay
I can’t believe they’re intimidating him. If anything he’s harassing the Bamboos. Lol. When he does move he goes to a cave with one of the bamboos and wedges himself in. Forcing the bamboo out.

I don’t usually touch him. I place the food under his nose and he sucks it in. Sometimes it’s difficult because he’s in such a tight area.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Funny thing Jay. Lights out he came out and started swimming around. I offered him a few small pieces and he took spit it out. So I decided to give him a whole silverside 3-4”. He took it spit partially out then sucked it back in. Ate the entire silverside. I’m wondering if the pieces were to small. I measured him against the glass he’s 22”. Jay have you seen this behavior before?

Thank you for your help.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can’t believe they’re intimidating him. If anything he’s harassing the Bamboos. Lol. When he does move he goes to a cave with one of the bamboos and wedges himself in. Forcing the bamboo out.

I don’t usually touch him. I place the food under his nose and he sucks it in. Sometimes it’s difficult because he’s in such a tight area.
Do you remember what I said to you about sexing these sharks and how Atelomycterus are aggressive? Multiple males in one tank will surely show aggression especially when they are sexually mature. Also, do not feed daily like I have said to you. If you really want assistance then take the suggestions that are given to you instead of doing the same thing repeatedly then coming here asking for help on the same subject. If it is showing interest at least in dead food that's a good sign. Get some live ghost shrimp and throw them in there, if the shark is healthy it will 100% show an aggressive feeding response to the live food, if it doesn't show interest in the live shrimp then it likely has an internal parasite which will need to be treated. Do you have a UV sterilizer? I consider a UV a neccessity on a shark tank they are very susceptible to bacterial infections as they are benthic and nocturnal so they don't move much if at all during the day allowing for easy bacterial buildup. A large UV will help keep the bacteria population at bay.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember what I said to you about sexing these sharks and how Atelomycterus are aggressive? Multiple males in one tank will surely show aggression especially when they are sexually mature. Also, do not feed daily like I have said to you. If you really want assistance then take the suggestions that are given to you instead of doing the same thing repeatedly then coming here asking for help on the same subject. If it is showing interest at least in dead food that's a good sign. Get some live ghost shrimp and throw them in there, if the shark is healthy it will 100% show an aggressive feeding response to the live food, if it doesn't show interest in the live shrimp then it likely has an internal parasite which will need to be treated. Do you have a UV sterilizer? I consider a UV a neccessity on a shark tank they are very susceptible to bacterial infections as they are benthic and nocturnal so they don't move much if at all during the day allowing for easy bacterial buildup. A large UV will help keep the bacteria population at bay.
The sharks have been sexed. 1 male bamboo 2 females. Also if you read my answer earlier you would know I cut back on feeding the bamboo’s. They still come out and try to grab some of the food when I feed the other fish in the tank. I can’t do anything about that. But I’m only spot feeding the bamboos 2 times a week. The Marble Cat I try to feed everyday until I know he’s eating steady.

There has been no aggression at all amongst the sharks. They all pretty much share the same cave. And yes I run 2x80 watt sterilizers.

Aspect I’m sorry you feel I’m not taking your advise. Because I have taken everyone’s advice. If I wasn’t looking for help why would I be posting questions? . Aspect I really appreciate your help but if you find yourself getting annoyed by my questions it might be better for you to just ignore my post. And save us both any off topic drama.

Thank you and stay safe.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The sharks have been sexed. 1 male bamboo 2 females. Also if you read my answer earlier you would know I cut back on feeding the bamboo’s. They still come out and try to grab some of the food when I feed the other fish in the tank. I can’t do anything about that. But I’m only spot feeding the bamboos 2 times a week. The Marble Cat I try to feed everyday until I know he’s eating steady.

There has been no aggression at all amongst the sharks. They all pretty much share the same cave. And yes I run 2x80 watt sterilizers.

Aspect I’m sorry you feel I’m not taking your advise. Because I have taken everyone’s advice. If I wasn’t looking for help why would I be posting questions? . Aspect I really appreciate your help but if you find yourself getting annoyed by my questions it might be better for you to just ignore my post. And save us both any off topic drama.

Thank you and stay safe.
You said you're still trying to feed the marbled catshark daily. Can only lead a horse to water. Good luck with the shark.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing Jay. Lights out he came out and started swimming around. I offered him a few small pieces and he took spit it out. So I decided to give him a whole silverside 3-4”. He took it spit partially out then sucked it back in. Ate the entire silverside. I’m wondering if the pieces were to small. I measured him against the glass he’s 22”. Jay have you seen this behavior before?

Thank you for your help.

I've seen food too small for a shark to home in on to try and eat it (like brine shrimp of small krill) but I've never seen a shark take in food and then spit it out because it was too small. I have seen sharks take in food, chew it, spit it out, take it in again, and repeat, to try and get it to a more manageable size. I presumed that's what was going on here.

I've kept marbles in a touch tank, where we had to broadcast feed the tank daily for the other fish. That worked fine, EXCEPT that we had difficulty ensuring they got the needed Mazuri shark vits. I think the staff ended up target feeding them vitamins in some food, once a week.

Jay

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen food too small for a shark to home in on to try and eat it (like brine shrimp of small krill) but I've never seen a shark take in food and then spit it out because it was too small. I have seen sharks take in food, chew it, spit it out, take it in again, and repeat, to try and get it to a more manageable size. I presumed that's what was going on here.

I've kept marbles in a touch tank, where we had to broadcast feed the tank daily for the other fish. That worked fine, EXCEPT that we had difficulty ensuring they got the needed Mazuri shark vits. I think the staff ended up target feeding them vitamins in some food, once a week.

Jay
Jay She would eat the small piece..Spit it out then it would float away. This evening once again. Gave her a small piece. She grabbed it spit it out grabbed it again spit it out and it just floated away. I then gave her a whole silverside. She Grabbed it spit it partially out and then sucked it straight in. She took 2 whole silversides. I’m guessing the small pieces are getting away from her?

Jay why do they take food chew it and spit it out then suck it back in. My bamboos do it even with the tiniest pieces. They bite chew spit out and suck it back in. Are they tasting it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay She would eat the small piece..Spit it out then it would float away. This evening once again. Gave her a small piece. She grabbed it spit it out grabbed it again spit it out and it just floated away. I then gave her a whole silverside. She Grabbed it spit it partially out and then sucked it straight in. She took 2 whole silversides. I’m guessing the small pieces are getting away from her?

Jay why do they take food chew it and spit it out then suck it back in. My bamboos do it even with the tiniest pieces. They bite chew spit out and suck it back in. Are they tasting it?

IDK for sure, I don't think it is a "taste" thing, I think they are just chewing it to make it more manageable to swallow, just like we do.

Jay

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sharks go crazy for Omega One frozen Alaskan shrimp. You just have to de-shell them. It's the only thing my one bamboo shark will eat, and I've tried everything with her. They are also big enough to fit vitamins in.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sharks go crazy for Omega One frozen Alaskan shrimp. You just have to de-shell them. It's the only thing my one bamboo shark will eat, and I've tried everything with her. They are also big enough to fit vitamins in.
My Bamboos seem to just want Silversides and Shrimp. And are constantly hungry. They sense anything in the water there out of there caves. I Put a sheet of nori on the clip and one shot up like a rocket pretty sure if I didn’t remove my hand he would have got me.

The marble shark was giving me a hard time Spitting out every little piece. Was worried I wouldn’t get him to eat. Yesterday he took a few silversides and this evening he ate 4 whole good size silversides. And didn’t spit them out … So crisis averted.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back