OP
OP
M&M

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now few more pictures, tank is still going strong. I made few changes to the system, mainly removed my refugium, it was not able to keep up with nutrients and mostly grew cyano and hair algae. My NO3 were registering 40 ppm, which is not bad considering how much I feed. Now I dose vodka and nitrates dropped to 20 ppm already and everything looks better. Also re did my siporax , it is now stacked nicely in eggcrate box, 10 liters. Still only few fish in , I have 3 chalk basslets, only one Fathead anthias left of trio and beautiful Sunset anthias male. Starting to seed my sponges for QT , as I am ready to add more fish soon.

Tank pictures from last night :)

FTS1.jpg

FTS2.jpg

NPS Tank.jpg

NPS Tank2.jpg

FTS3.jpg

IMG_5561.JPG

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this system (and your past NPS systems). Do you have any info on the siporax, like how it works exactly or any articles/info on it you could refer me to? And any info on how to build (or buy?) and materials needed? Thank you so much

OP
OP
M&M

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Siporax is basically media for more surface for bacteria to colonize , usually used with minimal LR in DT. I read somewhere that 1 liter is roughly equivalent of 10 Ibs of LR.
You can buy it online, sites like Ebay or Amazon or look at your LFS. Few in my area carry it. If you google it,there is plenty of info and long threads on other forums about using it. Place it in low flow, usually after mechanical filtration , so pores don't clog with detritus. I have mine in a box made of eggcrate in last chamber of sump.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your tank so clean and algae free with a higher nutrient level? Do you have a large clean up crew?

OP
OP
M&M

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your tank so clean and algae free with a higher nutrient level? Do you have a large clean up crew?
Mostly it is lack of light, I only have couple small 3W blue spotlight LED over the tank for 5 hours a day, not enough for algae to grow. Honestly I only wipe my glass once a month or so, I do have clean up crew that consist of 10 Nassarius snails, 20 hermit crabs, one staghorn crab and 5 margarita snails. But I am sure if I put regular reef lighting over my tank, algae would grow like crazy.

PAR16_grande.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's amazing!

Phantomwinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's as if the simple approach is working with these notoriously hard to keep NPS....great work Mark it looks awesome.

OP
OP
M&M

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing!
Thank you Rev !
It's as if the simple approach is working with these notoriously hard to keep NPS....great work Mark it looks awesome.
Thank you, yes I try to keep it as simple as possible, manual feedings, WC, very little of equipment, only the necessary stuff and easier corals like suns , dendros and "easy" gorgonians. So far it is working well :)

OP
OP
M&M

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I target feed all corals, also drip powder food for gorgonians couple of times a day, more often weekends.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back