maroons

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

I bought 2 maroons, wild caught, on 9th of March and noted some white poo floating around on the 11th of March thus, I started treatment with general cure on the 11th, second dose on 13th, water change and third dose on 15th and fourth dose on 17th. on the 14th the small one stoped eating and on the 16th I noticed some white stuff hanging from the small one (picture attached)

his fins don't look good to me and they looked like this from day one of purchase. the big fellow eats with good appetite and don't show any sign of aggression towards the little fellow. in fact I had a egg crate as divider and little one somehow went thru and there was no sign of aggression.

are there stubborn strains of internal parasite or should I treat for other infections?

thanks for all the input

Soren

20170316_183104.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop is an indication of internal parasites/worms. I think you would have better luck switching over to Prazipro.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop is an indication of internal parasites/worms. I think you would have better luck switching over to Prazipro.
thanks for this advice but unfortunately prazipro is not available over here. just to give you more info about "general cure" I actually use API general cure which contains metronidazole and praziquantel. praziquantel is the main ingredient in prazipro.

my bad that I didn't explained the "general cure" properly

but again, thanks for your input :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for this advice but unfortunately prazipro is not available over here. just to give you more info about "general cure" I actually use API general cure which contains metronidazole and praziquantel. praziquantel is the main ingredient in prazipro.

my bad that I didn't explained the "general cure" properly

but again, thanks for your input :)
Are you dosing it in the water or binding it to food?

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing it in the water or binding it to food?
I'm dosing it in the water and a little bit into food. the big one eats that food while the little one does not eat at all.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing it in the water and a little bit into food. the big one eats that food while the little one does not eat at all.
Metroplex bound to food with Focus would be what I would like to recommend. That doesn't do you any good if you can't get the Metroplex or if it isn't eating. So far I'm 0 for 2.
General Cure actually puts the same amount of Metro in the water (if not more) than Metroplex. And I would think it would get a boost from the Prazi.
I guess that makes me 0 for 3.

Maybe we can coerce either @melypr1985 or @Humblefish to get on and help.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex bound to food with Focus would be what I would like to recommend. That doesn't do you any good if you can't get the Metroplex or if it isn't eating. So far I'm 0 for 2.
General Cure actually puts the same amount of Metro in the water (if not more) than Metroplex. And I would think it would get a boost from the Prazi.
I guess that makes me 0 for 3.

Maybe we can coerce either @melypr1985 or @Humblefish to get on and help.
both metro and focus can't be found. well I found metro and kanaplex at a shop here but both expired..... choices on medications are limited while the shops have plenty on their shelfs but no ingredients are listed.

I've tried to get some kanamycin from a pharmacy but somehow the pharmacist couldn't get it. chloroquine is a controlled drug/substance and only available at a general hospital while those hospitals are not willing to hand them out. that just for the availability of certain meds over here...

I have on hands:
ick shield powder
general cure
sera costapur, a mixture of malachite green oxalate and formaldehyde
seachem paraguard
seachem cupramin

million thanks: )

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both metro and focus can't be found. well I found metro and kanaplex at a shop here but both expired..... choices on medications are limited while the shops have plenty on their shelfs but no ingredients are listed.

I've tried to get some kanamycin from a pharmacy but somehow the pharmacist couldn't get it. chloroquine is a controlled drug/substance and only available at a general hospital while those hospitals are not willing to hand them out. that just for the availability of certain meds over here...

I have on hands:
ick shield powder
general cure
sera costapur, a mixture of malachite green oxalate and formaldehyde
seachem paraguard
seachem cupramin

So I just read through this thread again. Lots of good info.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/page-4

It looks like you are doing the best thing you can. Mixing the GC with food if you can get the little guy eating would be better than only treating the water. Otherwise, it looks like you may need to treat the tank for up to 3 weeks for some really stubborn internal parasites.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just read through this thread again. Lots of good info.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/page-4

It looks like you are doing the best thing you can. Mixing the GC with food if you can get the little guy eating would be better than only treating the water. Otherwise, it looks like you may need to treat the tank for up to 3 weeks for some really stubborn internal parasites.
thanks for the link, thought I've read all about internal parasite but this I haven't.

would you recommend to take the bigger out of this qt and add to another qt to avoid further problems?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the link, thought I've read all about internal parasite but this I haven't.

would you recommend to take the bigger out of this qt and add to another qt to avoid further problems?
I wouldn't unless you see aggression issues. No reason to stress either of them more. If they have been sharing water together this long there is no reason to think they both don't already share the same parasites or diseases.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't unless you see aggression issues. No reason to stress either of them more. If they have been sharing water together this long there is no reason to think they both don't already share the same parasites or diseases.
no aggression at all, they sleep together and that looks really cute

million thanks again and I'll update on this issue

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Metroplex & Focus cannot be obtained, continuing with GC dosed in the water is the best course of action.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Metroplex & Focus cannot be obtained, continuing with GC dosed in the water is the best course of action.

just one more question, given I run 100 grams of activated carbon on 10 gallon of water, how long does it need to remove the left over meds. in the past I run it for about 5 hours, would that be enough time to remove the meds?

thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just one more question, given I run 100 grams of activated carbon on 10 gallon of water, how long does it need to remove the left over meds. in the past I run it for about 5 hours, would that be enough time to remove the meds?

thanks

Typically, its best to let carbon run for at least 24 hrs before assuming all traces of meds are gone. However, with copper it can actually take much longer than that if carbon is used alone. So it's better to use Cuprisorb or a poly filter for removing copper.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, its best to let carbon run for at least 24 hrs before assuming all traces of meds are gone. However, with copper it can actually take much longer than that if carbon is used alone. So it's better to use Cuprisorb or a poly filter for removing copper.
Great, I did it always wrong..[emoji15]
change water today, run carbon and dose meds tomorrow....

thanks

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to another shop and their focus expired 2015..... but I found another medication. azoo anti endoparasite. I'm not sure about the % of the active ingredient but they listed as:

metronidazole, mebendazole, levamisol, vit. b complex

and the instructions day 10ml per 100 liter every 24 hours for 3 days.

could I consider this as a alternative to GC?

thanks again :)

20170319_101544.jpg

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all dewormers, except the latter is an appetite stimulant. I would definitely be trying to food soak this product. :)

I read an article were they sprayed a antibiotic on to pellet food, left it go dry and then coated the pellets with fish oil to avoid leaching from the treated pellets. I faintly remember reading something about a omega fish oil is used for some reason and therefore "not harmful" for fish.

I need to find the article again...

million thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read an article were they sprayed a antibiotic on to pellet food, left it go dry and then coated the pellets with fish oil to avoid leaching from the treated pellets. I faintly remember reading something about a omega fish oil is used for some reason and therefore "not harmful" for fish.

I need to find the article again...

million thanks

You can absolutely soak pellets in Omega 3 fish oil. It is a very beneficial vitamin for fish to have.

However, I would like to see the article about using it as a binder to prevent antibiotics from leaching out.

OP
OP
SoreninKL

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely soak pellets in Omega 3 fish oil. It is a very beneficial vitamin for fish to have.

However, I would like to see the article about using it as a binder to prevent antibiotics from leaching out.
unfortunately this article is in German language but I think Google translate will do to give you a good overview on the why and how.

I was searching for a binder and bumped into that article....focus not available here. here is Malaysia and I'm a German citizen. just to explain why I'm reading German articles

http://www.korallenriff.de/artikel/327_Pathogene_Bakterien_im_Meerwasseraquarium_Teil_1.html

cheers and thanks again :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back