Mattgsa 315 gallon build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most likely being impatient but my cycle feels stalled. The ammonia level has been sitting at .8 for a couple of weeks. I'm not going to do anything for now. Perhaps add more bacteria. I was thinking of turning off the return pump, and adding a lot of bacteria, and giving it more of a chance to settle into the rock without having to worry about being shot around the tank. I'm even considering adding some live rock from the Gulf Coast to the sump, while I don't like the idea of possibly introducing pests one can't deny the benefit to the overall health of the tank. I'm certainly not going to add any livestock right now.

Just go with extra bacteria for now. (To satisfy impatience! :p )

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go with extra bacteria for now. (To satisfy impatience! :p )
I may, for better or worse, work is keeping me really busy. We are having all kinds of problems. I have not had much time to worry about the tank. However, yesterday I did manage to re-route the automatic water change tubes and the aqua bus cable through the wall, rather than through the door. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something intresting when I turn off my UV the orp goes down. Also, my amonia is down to .02. Yea!!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw last night that the TDS on my RODI output is now up to two. I was a little disappointed. I've only done a few hundred gallons. LOL. Either way, I have ordered refills for the DI resin and also the carbon blocks. I should have enough water in my storage container to easily last me until the new filters get in.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got around to taking a picture of the face plate that i installed to run tubes and a aquabus cable to the garage.

IMG_0490.jpg

I still need to get something to help tidy it up.
I also added some more amonia to the tank. I want it to cyle a little longer before I start putting fish and lights on the system. However, I didn't put nearly as much as I did the first time.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about lights. I wondering is there really any need to have the EcoTechs plugged into the Neptune controller? I have a ceiling fan and light that I was going to take out, because I didn't want the fan directly over the tank. I was thinking I could run the power cords for the lights into the attic and plug them in up there. I would also serve to the hide all the wires.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about lights. I wondering is there really any need to have the EcoTechs plugged into the Neptune controller? I have a ceiling fan and light that I was going to take out, because I didn't want the fan directly over the tank. I was thinking I could run the power cords for the lights into the attic and plug them in up there. I would also serve to the hide all the wires.

I don't think gen 5 ecotech lights work through apex. I think you have to control them through the mobius app.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think gen 5 ecotech lights work through apex. I think you have to control them through the mobius app.
I was thinking the same thing, so I'm not going to wast plugs on the EB8. I'm wondering if the the power brick would have a problem being located in a hot attic here in Texas.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing, so I'm not going to wast plugs on the EB8. I'm wondering if the the power brick would have a problem being located in a hot attic here in Texas.

If your attic in Texas is anything like inside the roof of my house in Australia. (An absolute oven in hot weather.) I wouldn't put a power brick there unless you have some means of keeping it cool.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Ecotech mounting rail in yesterday. Assuming the cord isn't long enough to put the brick out of sight, I guess I could mount it directly to the rail. I first have to relocate the ceiling fan, or else the blades will hit the mounting wires for the lights. I also saw another build here on the site; I'm sorry, I wish I could remember who's build it was. But they ordered a nice acrylic hood for their lights from Advanced acrylics. It also served as an excellent way to hide the wires and the power bricks. I contacted them, and they stated it would be over 800 dollars for that. I will hold off on that for now.

I also received some of the things I need to make screen tops for the tank. I was going to do the custom ones, but I felt the price was a little high.

I have a trip coming up in March, and I have decided not to add any livestock until after the trip. I will give the tank plenty of time cycle. I will continue to dose with ammonia and bacteria.

Other than that, the tank runs very smoothly, and I have been busy working on fixing some of the automation. I must admit I'm a little concerned with the amount of time I think it will take.

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and I wish you all the best for 2021; it has to be better than in 2020.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was going to order some fish since my amonia reading was at zero. However, I was worried the bacteria would die with no amonia so I dosed what I thought was a small amount, and now my amonia is reading at 2, so no fish for now. I'm thinking about ordering some algae to help consume the amonia, but I have not decided if it is worth it. I'm worried it would cause nutrient problems down the road.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was going to order some fish since my amonia reading was at zero. However, I was worried the bacteria would die with no amonia so I dosed what I thought was a small amount, and now my amonia is reading at 2, so no fish for now. I'm thinking about ordering some algae to help consume the amonia, but I have not decided if it is worth it. I'm worried it would cause nutrient problems down the road.

If your bacteria are well established now the reading should reach zero in 24 hrs.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your bacteria are well established now the reading should reach zero in 24 hrs.
I thought so but they are still running high even today. I'm not sure why, It's making me reluctant to buy fish, and now I'm worried I waited to long. I read today they closed the Hawaii fishery, and I believe they are the supplier of some of my favorite fish. I'm little depressed to say the least.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so but they are still running high even today. I'm not sure why, It's making me reluctant to buy fish, and now I'm worried I waited to long. I read today they closed the Hawaii fishery, and I believe they are the supplier of some of my favorite fish. I'm little depressed to say the least.

The bacteria are still there. You couldn't get rid of them if you wanted to. As for Hawaii, those fish will mostly be available in other locations so don't worry.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria are still there. You couldn't get rid of them if you wanted to. As for Hawaii, those fish will mostly be available in other locations so don't worry.
True but for what price. I just went and looked at Kole tangs and Yellow tangs are now 500, which mean the Achiles tang is going to be up there with the Peppermint angle. Which means i need some more algae eaters that won't require me to refinance my house.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but for what price. I just went and looked at Kole tangs and Yellow tangs are now 500, which mean the Achiles tang is going to be up there with the Peppermint angle. Which means i need some more algae eaters that won't require me to refinance my house.
Yellow tangs are captive bred. I can’t see them going up to far in price. As for the joke tang and Achilles, well hopefully one day they become captive bred because there 2 fish in my wish list

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs are captive bred. I can’t see them going up to far in price. As for the joke tang and Achilles, well hopefully one day they become captive bred because there 2 fish in my wish list
You are right about the Yellow tang, I went over to TSMAquatics, and they are selling small ones for 149. However, I can't imagine that price will not going up now that they are the only supplier, and I'm sure the damand will not go down. The good news for me is I don't like yellow tangs. So I will not be buying one. LOL. I do want some Kole tangs. I guess i will have to be patient and see if the fishery re-opens in the future. In the mean time I will keep my eyes open for a fox face. Granted not my first choice but still a good algae eater.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back