Mattgsa 315 gallon build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a quarantine standpoint I'd be worried about the achilles tang as they are known to be very susceptible to ich/velvet. And an achilles is pretty hard to replace now Hawaii is closed.

From an aggression standpoint, it could work as all your tangs will be from a different genus to each other. Although it is more ideal to introduce them all at once or three or more when introducing new ones to established ones.

You have a good scape for them being out of eyesight so that might help.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got some new fish, and it could have gone better. The Achilles is not a very welcoming host. However, moving the rock around and putting a mirror on the glass for a couple of days took most of the fight right out of him. Every one seems to be minding their own business.
In addition to the new fish I drove up to Austin to pick up some corals from Farmerty. I just hope that my tank will look half as good one day. Here are some pictures.
Sorry the pictures suck from the Iphone
CB Blue Tort
IMG_0738.jpg

JG Yellow
IMG_0736.jpg

CC Habanero
IMG_0735.jpg

Westside Purplishous

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the tank is covered in green hair algae and I gave in to temptation rather then trying to wait it out. My only concern is my UV will keep it from working. However the fishes safty and well being is more important, so the UV is going to stay on.
IMG_0726.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Nazo tang is still not happy and has not changed back to a normal color. I'm just trying to ensure that he is eating. I put the mirror back up on the other end of the tank to keep the other tangs busy.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

Get some urchins before dosing vibrant! Get like 5-6. Urchins do not require QT. They need a few set of rinses and cab be added to the DT. I truly believe vibrant throws of your other bacteria's balances. Urchins can be used as a tool if you do not want them long term. I would recommend pinchusions or Halloween in a 315.

Did you get that Purple from LA? I would not risk the biscuit as it is coming direct from the wholesaler and not even DD. You know where to get a QTed one... I see you over there all the time.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

Get some urchins before dosing vibrant! Get like 5-6. Urchins do not require QT. They need a few set of rinses and cab be added to the DT. I truly believe vibrant throws of your other bacteria's balances. Urchins can be used as a tool if you do not want them long term. I would recommend pinchusions or Halloween in a 315.

Did you get that Purple from LA? I would not risk the biscuit as it is coming direct from the wholesaler and not even DD. You know where to get a QTed one... I see you over there all the time.
I may not add any more, the algae is already starting to go away. I told the wife I was not going to add any more livestock for now, except perhaps corals. No, I'm not going to get the purple tang. There are just too many risks, and I don't want to have problems with ich or marine velvet or any other types of diseases. I will just wait until the wife approves the Purple tang from Marine collectors or TSM Aquatics. My main concern now is the Achillies, he is not a friendly fish, I'm seriously thinking about looking for another large tang to whittle him down a bit. Perhaps a large powder blue, or brown tang. LOL

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

Great advice here.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not add any more, the algae is already starting to go away. I told the wife I was not going to add any more livestock for now, except perhaps corals. No, I'm not going to get the purple tang. There are just too many risks, and I don't want to have problems with ich or marine velvet or any other types of diseases. I will just wait until the wife approves the Purple tang from Marine collectors or TSM Aquatics. My main concern now is the Achillies, he is not a friendly fish, I'm seriously thinking about looking for another large tang to whittle him down a bit. Perhaps a large powder blue, or brown tang. LOL

Well that is good to hear. Did you actually use the vibrant? I mean you could classify urchins as a tool or algae removal equipment if totally necessary HA!
Smart move unless you have a home QT tank. If you are going to go the QTed vendor route and concerns about your Achilles ( I have one too and is the boss no questions asked), I would look at getting a trio or multiple sets of tangs, preferably not Acanthurus ( Powder Blue/Brown/Shoal/clown/orange shoulder/convict/mustard) since the Achilles is established. As @GBRsouth mentioned an Naso is a good option, 3 purples/gems, 2-3 larger bristletooths, . This is all under the assumption a tang is what you want. Acclimation box is key! If you don't have a big one, you can make a cheap one out of polycarb or acrylic and some weld on since it does not need to be water tight.
OR put the Achilles in the sump for a month while you add whatever you want and move a couple rocks around and might have a way better chance.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just to clarify, I was joking about adding a powder blue or brown. I don't want anything ruffing up on my Achillies. I want him to be happy and healthy. Sorry I wasn't very clear. It does make me sad to see him picking on every other fish in the tank, not just the tangs. Yesterday he was going after the fox face. The good news is, last night the Nazo was out and about fighting his reflection in the mirror, but he was eating. I feel a lot better when I see all the fish-eating. It's when they stop eating I start getting really concerned.

That's not to say that I'm not a little envious of people like Mark C who has 3 Achillies, plus a plethora of other tangs in the same tank. It lends credence to the philosophy that with more fish there is less aggression. I think in the future I will do things differently, for one I didn't realize how small the Naso was going to be when I bought it, and that's my fault. I will also try and order fish in groups. I did order a large acclimation box and it should be here any day now.

As for the Vibrant, I did put in one dose. I'm going to wait and see how things go. I'm sure the algae will go away all on its own and I just need to be patient. That's truly the most difficult part of this hobby.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just to clarify, I was joking about adding a powder blue or brown. I don't want anything ruffing up on my Achillies. I want him to be happy and healthy. Sorry I wasn't very clear. It does make me sad to see him picking on every other fish in the tank, not just the tangs. Yesterday he was going after the fox face. The good news is, last night the Nazo was out and about fighting his reflection in the mirror, but he was eating. I feel a lot better when I see all the fish-eating. It's when they stop eating I start getting really concerned.

That's not to say that I'm not a little envious of people like Mark C who has 3 Achillies, plus a plethora of other tangs in the same tank. It lends credence to the philosophy that with more fish there is less aggression. I think in the future I will do things differently, for one I didn't realize how small the Naso was going to be when I bought it, and that's my fault. I will also try and order fish in groups. I did order a large acclimation box and it should be here any day now.

As for the Vibrant, I did put in one dose. I'm going to wait and see how things go. I'm sure the algae will go away all on its own and I just need to be patient. That's truly the most difficult part of this hobby.
Achilles can be super bossy and just luck of the jaw when it comes to demeanor.
I agree with you on the Mark C comment, but you have to remember he has so many connections and resources he can make this work or easily re shuffle and try again. I would have a full set of 20 tanks as holding tanks to slowly build my dream inventory and them add them in the order I want have they are all preconditioned, but it is just no feasible to most.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In looking at the tank this afternoon, I can't help but feel frustrated, and like a newbie. I have only had a problem with hair algae once before, and it was with my fist tank. I didn't use RODI water and just filled the tank directly from the tap. However, I have done multiple tanks since, and not once had a problem with hair algae. I'm either screwing up royaly or there is something going on here that I'm not catching. With my other tanks I didn't let them sit so long with out the lights. I used dry rock and a bacterial starter, and didn't have any of these problems. I must say for a second this afternoon I was thinking about adding sand to the tank. Because that is the only thing I can think of that I did differently. However, I'm not ready to give up yet.
On top of that the Achillies going around beating on all the other fish is causing a lot of stress not only for me but the other fish in the tank.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I can't help but think of Ryan's tank with BRS and how he said he was having all these problems too, and he added sand. I still don't want to add sand to the display. However, I have a rather large sump, and I'm considering ordering live sand from someone like Tampabay live rock and adding it to the sump. What do you all think?

I'm also considering Urchins per rds85 suggestion. I have read they are like bulldozers and just plow down corals. Not to mention they have a taste for Coraline algae. In addition, I bought tuxedo urchins on the first tank, and remember they didn't really do much of anything for hair algae. Which ones do you recommend?

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I can't help but think of Ryan's tank with BRS and how he said he was having all these problems too, and he added sand. I still don't want to add sand to the display. However, I have a rather large sump, and I'm considering ordering live sand from someone like Tampabay live rock and adding it to the sump. What do you all think?

I'm also considering Urchins per rds85 suggestion. I have read they are like bulldozers and just plow down corals. Not to mention they have a taste for Coraline algae. In addition, I bought tuxedo urchins on the first tank, and remember they didn't really do much of anything for hair algae. Which ones do you recommend?

I think the sand in the sump is totally fine. The smaller section might just cause a longer time to get the results he did on his tank.

If you glue the corals you will be fine! I have tiny frags in my DT and are still good. Your tank is large I would go with pinchusions and halloween urchins. Then rehome them if the get to big for your taste.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check with ReefCleaner and see what they have. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sand in the sump is totally fine. The smaller section might just cause a longer time to get the results he did on his tank.

If you glue the corals you will be fine! I have tiny frags in my DT and are still good. Your tank is large I would go with pinchusions and halloween urchins. Then rehome them if the get to big for your taste.
Thanks

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With putting sand in your sump, if you set up racks with trays of sand in the racks you could create more sand surface area in a small space.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back