OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GULP! And to say that I have tank envy is an understatement. Looking forward to seeing the progression. I have no doubt the tank will mature and blossom into a wonderful and awe-inspiring reef!
PS, I think that running the skimmer part-time will be fine for now. It won't be long till you have it running full time and are working on lowering the phosphate as you get more fish in there anyhow. I ran very low phosphates and nitrates with no apparent ill effect on my SPS's. They just adapted and I fed a lot. Now I'm back at getting the numbers down a bit. Things have a way of finding a balance in the long run. Tinkering too much ends up being the most problematic. As soon as I just let things ride the tank always looks better. An alternative to turning off the skimmer part-time is to open up the output so you are skimming less but keep the gas exchange up, FWIW.
Thank you,
You are right, I have been leaving the tank alone and problems are going away. Like I stated before, I have a problem with a need for instant gratification. I'm just hoping one day my tank will look half as good as yours.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Thank you,
You are right, I have been leaving the tank alone and problems are going away. Like I stated before, I have a problem with a need for instant gratification. I'm just hoping one day my tank will look half as good as yours.
I have no doubt it will well surpass the looks of my tank! Patience grasshopper, patience.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I tested my alk for the first time in a while, and it was at 6. I'm shocked since there was no living corals in the tank. So now I'm trying to remember what the rules are on bring up the alk levels. I don't think I can do it all at once. However, I will have to do some research

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I tested my alk for the first time in a while, and it was at 6. I'm shocked since there was no living corals in the tank. So now I'm trying to remember what the rules are on bring up the alk levels. I don't think I can do it all at once. However, I will have to do some research
No more than 1.5Dkh/day or so, but if you have no corals then the 'or so' may be more applicable... Are you dosing alk and Ca? What are your calcium levels? A good read and worth bookmarking for reference...

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I tested my alk for the first time in a while, and it was at 6. I'm shocked since there was no living corals in the tank.

Don't forget coralline algae consume alk, as do bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas in sulphuric zones. (Most likely coralline in your case.)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget coralline algae consume alk, as do bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas in sulphuric zones. (Most likely coralline in your case.)
Speaking of Coraline algae, I spotted couple of dots of coraline algae tonight. I think I got a little more excited then I though I would. I know I had that red algae but it disappeared and never came back.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized tonight that I don't have a calcium test kit. I'm telling you I need to get more organized. I also realized that I'm almost out of the Hanna Alk reagent. So I now have several orders in at BRS. I brought the alk up to 7 something (Sorry can't remember), tomorrow, I will bring it up some more. Right now I'm just dosing equal part of alk and cal until I get the calcium tester. I'm also giving serious thought to sending in a water sample for testing. I'm just worried about the results. LOL.

Question: I have noticed that all the snails that came in with the first batch have doubled the size of thier shells, are they depleting calcium from the water to make the shell?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be using calcium, but I doubt it's having much impact in your levels by itself. Unless you have large snails by the hundreds!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88C1E6B8-A833-420A-A7F0-1A17829DBC4E.jpeg

Do you know it’s funny the first time I asked for a utility sink, the wife said no. After washing the skimmer in the kitchen sink a couple times I got a resounding yes.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what comes next: Keep asking her for a little $120 Cube Freezer to use in your fish room, dedicated to all your frozen foods (like mussels, shrimp, and other frozen fish concoctions). She will say "No." UNTIL she gets tired of all its its 'nasty-smelliness' being part of her kitchen freezer... then she will say "Yes."

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what comes next: Keep asking her for a little $120 Cube Freezer to use in your fish room, dedicated to all your frozen foods (like mussels, shrimp, and other frozen fish concoctions). She will say "No." UNTIL she gets tired of all its its 'nasty-smelliness' being part of her kitchen freezer... then she will say "Yes."

You should be a life coach!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am way ahead of you, I already got her to approve a small mini fridge and freezer combo. Actually, it was her idea. I really do have a great wife.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'm looking for recomendations for a beginner DSLR for the tank. I have one that we bought in the early 2000's but it does not take good pictures. I'm not looking to spend a thousand dollars, I'm hoping to keep in around 5-600.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this morning I tested my alk, and it came in at 7.9, so I did a dose to bring it up to 8.5. Then when I tested the tank this afternoon it was at 7.1. The think is I only have 3 dead corals in there, and very little coraline algae.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this morning I tested my alk, and it came in at 7.9, so I did a dose to bring it up to 8.5. Then when I tested the tank this afternoon it was at 7.1. The think is I only have 3 dead corals in there, and very little coraline algae.

Test your magnesium to see if it is low (maybe precipitating), some bacteria consume alk too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back