Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever been browsing the forum, looking through threads, and see someone post #reefsquad and wonder 'What is Reef Squad' or 'Who are the Reef Squad'?

Well, here on R2R we have a dedicated team of users just like you that specialize in different aspects of reef keeping. They share their knowledge and experience to assist users both novice and advanced. We call these users the Reef Squad.

We wanted to start a thread highlighting the members that make up the Reef Squad where our members could get to know the team. Here is your chance to take a moment to see who is behind that helpful #reefsquad tag!

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFADB8F4-168C-44C5-9905-D0847D4A24F8.jpeg

E4E33730-667F-4D2B-91AA-727E7F7CC53B.jpeg

I don’t have too many pictures of myself but here’s one of me in a tree and one on vacation in the keys a few years ago.
Name: Kevin
Year started reefing: 2010
Why you choose your user name and avatar: My user name is simply my first initial and last name. Not very original but I have used it for a while. My avatar is a nice zoo colony I used to have.
Favorite fish: Borbonius Anthias
Favorite coral: Any Zoa really
And a little about yourself: Other than Reefs I enjoy woodworking and fishing. I’m a tree guy by trade and work a lot.
Build Thread Link: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kschweer-57-rimless-build.132739/page-37

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Name:
Krzysztof Jozefek

Why you chose your screen name:
My initials
Current tank specs:
75 gal mixed reef
Area of strength in the hobby:
Learn something new everyday;Bookworm

Favorite hobby outside reefing:

Riding motorcycles and aggrevate @Rob.D:p :D

How long have you been reef keeping:
14 years
Favorite fish:
CBB
Favorite coral:
Lps sps and zoa
2008_1007rocks0025-jpg.253993
grouchy look:D

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi – my name is Lasse Forsberg and I´m 68 years young

I live in Europe in a country named Sweden. No – we do not make watches her but – yes we make Volvo cars and thanks to the Golf Stream – we do not have Polar Bears on our streets.

I live near Gothenburg – Sweden’s second city located at the front side of Sweden (the west coast) – in a small village named Bohus. If you click on the address below my Avatar – you can see how it looks like here

I started with saltwater 1979 with a small tank but did a break when we moved in 1981 and restarted a tank in my home around 2006. However, between 2001 and 2006 I work with saltwater fishes at a Science Centre

With freshwater, I start around 1961 – and as a hobby – 1973. The last freshwater tank in my home was taken down around 1993 when I moved once again for a new job. But at that job – I had large freshwater tanks as a step in waste water treatment – did not need any tanks at home

My nick “Lasse” is by itself a nickname of a Swedish name – Lars - but in reality – thats my name today. How I look like – to be honest the avatar is the only good picture taken of me in 68 years All others will end up in the police records as a crime against humanity. Judge by yourself :)

Lasse.jpg

lassef-10x15.jpg

If I have to pick one favourite fish – it will be the Sun Burst Anthias - Serranocirrhitus latus but I love many not so common fish that show a great behaviour

Its probably even more difficult to pick a favourite coral but among SPS - Seriatopora hystrix, LPS – the genus of Euphyllia and for the soft corals – the genus ricordea and GSP

I´m official retired but now I have time to do things that interest me so it has ended up with nearly more to do than before

I have done a lot in my life from have been a shipyard worker in the 70: ties to work with things in the water (instead of on the water) from around 1984. I have a lower university degree of fishery science and management, but all of my different jobs have contributed to the knowledge I have today. I was 34 years old then I started at the university – in Sweden you can do that even if you have a low paid job (al least back in the 80: ties). The education is free, and you can have good loans from the Swedish authorities.

Among other things after 1984 – I have worked with fish farming, research of environmental impact on fish and fishery, experimental waste water treatment and at a science centre. This has result in a rather broad (some may say swallow) knowledge of water and things in it. During the same time – I have been active in the hobby here in Sweden.

In my latest build – started in early spring - summer 2016 – I have try to build a system that help me figure out a way of building systems that favour stability and can give some ideas to other reefers around the world.

FTS1.jpg

I´m active in the Swedish reefer forum and today also at Reef2Reef. A couple of years I was active in another US forum (around 6 – 7 years ago) but the lesson I learned there was to stay out from US forums if you not walking in perfect formation on the main street. However – I come across R2R in late 2015 and decided to do a new try with my new aquarium – and I still here

My skills should other talk about but I always try to put a holistic point of view on a “problem” – many times it show up that the “problem” in reality is an advantage if you attack it in the right angle.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
187g system established Nov 2017.
DSC_0033.JPG

Will edit in a personal picture, I promise!

Name: Steven

Year started reefing: 2016

Why you choose your user name and avatar: Brew12 actually started as Brewme1. When I lived near Seattle I started brewing my own beer. People were always asking me to "brew me one". Eventually, I started selling about half of what I made and people started asking to brew me 6 or brew me 12. Some buddies had Brew12 put on the back of my softball jersey, and that is the form that has stuck since.

Favorite fish: I have a love/hate relationship with my Regal Tang. The fish is beautiful and has a ton of personality. The problem is that he has too much personality. I can't use a frag rack in my system. He is well behaved when I am in the room, but if I'm not there he will pull every frag out of the rack and dump it on the sand. He also checks to see if new coral are loose so he can move them around. When everything is secure he settles for taking hermit crabs up to the tank and dropping them.

Favorite coral: That is tough. Right now, it is probably my BC Secale.

And a little about yourself: I am a research junky. When I have an interest in something I will research it like an addict. While serving as an electrician on the USS Henry M Jackson (SSBN 730 Blue) that passion was directed toward electrical theory. Right now, it is focused on marine bacteria. Not sure why I find it fascinating and not sure how far I can actually push my knowledge, but I have a folder of links to over 40 scientific papers on Cyanobacteria and Dinoflagellates.
Most of my free time is spent on the near endless "Honey Do" list. I also enjoy golf and spend as much time as I can in the spring and fall bass fishing.

Build Thread Link: Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of yourself or your tank (or both if you so choose): two of my other passions
501 mag pic (1 of 1).jpg

33a.JPG

Name: David Martin
Year started reefing: 2012

Why you choose your user name and avatar: Combination of my diving/reefkeeping hobbies and my favorite sports team (Arkansas Razorbacks)

Favorite fish: My Copperband Butterfly given to me by Humblefish. He's a complete pet

Favorite coral: Any...but my bonsai acro I guess would be the one if I can only pick one

And a little about yourself: 35 years as a Family Practice physician, Married 37 years to my dive buddy, Lisa. 3 kids, 7 grandkids

Tank rebuild after a recent move
FTS1-5-18(2) (1 of 1).jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name: Brandy
My user name is fairly self explanatory and my avatar was my license plates which is the same as my user name. Now it's my female clown in her favorite nem.
Been in the hobby since 2010 but have owned freshwater my whole life.
Favorite fish: I love wrasses and find it hard to narrow it down to just one.
Favorite corals: would have to be gorgonians...but I love nems!
And a.little about me......I'm a landscape designer I've been playing in the dirt since I could crawl. I love spending what little free time I have fishing. I have two wonderful sons 14 and 11 and an amazing hubby!
20171230_111825.jpg
2016-09-18_13.08.48.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-start-of-the-120.347810/
20171203_135038.jpg

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Name: Anirban Kar

Year started reefing: I started in 2015

Why you choose your user name and avatar: Lol nothing special. My screen name is my original name. My avatar is a reef tank which I saw in Monterey bay aquarium back in 2015.

Favorite fish: I love all my fishes but I think my hippo tang and clown fish are very close to me. I got them when they were hardly 1/2-3/4 inch both. Since, then its been almost 2 years and they still eat directly from my hand like a puppy. Actually my hippo is one of those early captive bred ones.

Favorite coral: I love challenges so I love acros. But I have a addiction towards Favias too. I just like their colour and how they spread.

And a little about yourself: I am a full time biomedical researcher. I did my PhD in biotech and works in the field of cancer biology at UNC, chapel hill. I teach kids in the university too. So, in short I am little nerdy :D and obsessive about details:p. I like to eat and cook and you can immediately figure that out once you meet me....lol:D. I like to read and travel with my dear lady. I am married to my lovely wife since last 6 years and we are together since last 12 years. I also like to play soccer and cricket and I play both at competitive levels.

Build Thread Link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anirbans-aquaforest-journey.255027/

20181231_113842.jpg

DSC4217.jpg

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introductions all around, then, huh? Ok.

Greybeard here. I'm an old fatman, living in the woods of southern Missouri, as far as I can get from city life. Been there, done, that, never again. Professionally, I'm a work from home industrial software engineer, working primarily in the baking industry. I wrote a batch management system that is in use in large scale commercial bakeries all over the world. Happily, I can usually install and maintain that software from the comfort of my home office, way out here in the woods. I'm down to 2 or 3 business trips a year these days, and if I could get out of those, I would happily do so. I leave home as rarely as possible. I'm trying to insure that the words 'well known local recluse' appear in my obituary :)

A picture of myself? I don't get many photos taken, My wife shot the one in my avatar while I was running the tractor around the back field, and sure enough, that's what I look like. It'll have to do. The moniker 'Greybeard' was very much NOT my choice... I was 17 when my beard started turning. My oldest daughter (I have four) started turning grey at 14. She hated me for that... Anyway, these days, I own it. I'm greybeard here, and in groups of people I associate with through other interests as well. I'm also what polite folks would call a firearms enthusiast... or less polite folks might call a gun nut. Either way, I'm involved in Pro2A politics, competitive and recreational shooting, and carry NRA instructor credentials. Other interests include games I can play with a drink in one hand... Pool, darts, that sort of thing.

I bought a 2.5 gallon, stainless framed, slate bottom aquarium at a garage sale in 1977. Filled it with mollies, guppies, that sort of thing. Been hooked on aquariums ever since. Switched to marine in the early 80's. 29g tank, under gravel filter plate, crushed coral... most of you folks would likely cringe over the conditions we were keeping animals in at that time, but it worked. Tried keeping corals for the first time in 86. Stuck with it for many years, thorough many phases. Did Seahorses for a while in the 90's. Neat creatures. Had a round of GBD take out my entire herd, and gave it up. Had an in wall 220 DSB system that went south through neglect during an extended illness in the family. I shut that system down in 2005. Was out of the hobby for a decade. Got back in 2015, and I'll likely have a reef as long as I'm physically capable of keeping it, or financially capable of having someone else keep it :)

My current tank is a 140g peninsula. Build thread over here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/greybeards-wide-shallow-peninsula.303120/

My wife will be happy to know I'm quite happy with this system, and have I have no plans to upgrade.

I'm a fan of softies and LPS corals... particularly hammers, zoanthids, acans... I'm more interested in personality than looks when it comes to fish. I have a Smith's blenny that I just love. Orange spotted rabbitfish, spotbreast angel, bicolor goatfish... I don't look for the most intensely colored fish, so long as they are (A) a good fit with my other fish, and (B) healthy, hearty, not disease prone... Fat, healthy, and happy is far more important to me than coloration.

FTS_040118.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name: Dave
Year started reefing: 2016
Why you choose your user name:
Back when the internet was a wee little thing barely able to walk, I taught myself how to build websites. That went quickly from a hobby to a job, and once I needed to start billing clients, I thought it would be better to use something other than just my name. So I looked up what it took to start a business and discovered that if the business name included your name, things were a lot easier (which may or may not have been/be correct - I was 14 at the time and Google didn't exist yet...). So I went with my initials and "Design" (because I did both graphic and web design back then). The string is unique enough that it's never already taken, so it gives me a constant username everywhere I go.

Why you choose your avatar:

I'm a Cubs fan. Can't say I always have been, but I am now (and was before they started winning). When the wife and I took a trip to see some games at Wrigley (this was BK - before kids), we had flight troubles and ended up missing most of the first game we were scheduled to see. The next day, we (I) decided to get there right when the gates opened so that we could wander the ballpark. When the gates went up, I made a bee-line for the closest beer stand (it was hot that day) and ordered two Old Styles. When I got our beers and turned around, there was a lady standing there with a clipboard and an employee badge. She asked me if I would like to be the "Old Style Drinker of the Game" that day. I felt it would be impolite to refuse, so accepted. The job did not include free beer all game (nor even one free beer), so that was a bit of a misunderstanding. But I did get a cool jersey out of it (wearing it), got announced to the crowd with my "title", and got my name up on the scoreboard. This was before Wrigley got the modern digital wall installed, so it's actually rather hard to see my name - but it's there; trust me. But mostly; I got to stand within feet of home plate at Wrigley. That was awesome. I use this as my avatar picture anywhere that I want people to see me - which is rare, to be honest... :)

Favorite fish:

The ones that aren't dead, mostly. If it swims, I find beauty in it.

Favorite coral:

Again; the not-dead ones. I tend more towards softies than hard corals due to their hypnotic movement, but I appreciate any coral I can find.

And a little about yourself:

Married with two girls (currently 3 and 1), we also have 2 dogs (both female; a German Shepherd/Akita mix and Shiba Inu/cattle dog mix). I'm surrounded by women and wouldn't change a one of them. Luckily, we also have a turtle named Crush, so I get to talk "guy stuff" with him (he's a horrible conversationalist, but I take what I can get). My girls are my life and joy, basically.
Ever since high school, I've been a computer programmer. Websites back then; web applications now. It's been over 25 years now that I've been working on Internet software and I'm lucky now to be able to choose how, when, and where I work. Which is to say; I work from home as a contractor for various clients. It pays the bills and I don't hate what I do most days. I earn enough that my wife has the dubious ability to spend her days with the girls. Raising a toddler and an infant is harder than my work (and we plan on home schooling), so I'm not really sure I'd trade positions with her. :-|
I've not always enjoyed my job, however. At several points in my life, I've walked away from my career and tried something else (or sometimes worked multiple jobs at the same time). I've spent 10 years as a snowboard instructor - getting certified in the first year and working weekends the other nine. I attended culinary school at night (CCA in San Francisco) and got my degree, after which I moved to the Chicago area (became a Cubs fan) and worked at a sushi restaurant. I was the 6'2" white guy from California working behind the bar at a Korean-owned sushi restaurant in the outskirts of Chicago. We advertised that we had the only real California Rolls in town. :-| I had another option when I finished school, however - I could have moved to Maui (where I had a place to stay practically rent-free) and work on the line at Roy's on the Beach. I sometimes wonder what my life would look like had I gone that route instead of moving to Chicago in the start of Winter, but I have zero regrets (I'd never have met my wife, for one). These days, I mostly use my degree for cooking dinner and the occasional dinner party or catering event (I've done 4 or 5 weddings for friends - one was because the hired caterer got sick the day of; I ended up cooking for 150 people while in my suit).
As far as hobbies outside of reefing, the most prevalent would likely be SCUBA diving. I started when I was 14 and never stopped. For a while, it was just something fun to do on holidays (eventually my entire family would end up certified and we took family trips for the diving). Over the past few years, I've been upping my certification levels and am now a Dive Master - which is technically a "professional" level of certification. So I guess that falls into "career" as much as hobby now?
And - clearly - writing is something I do, I guess. Except it's not really; I just sort of ramble on. And on. And. ON...

Build Thread Link:

Check the sig, though my current tank (525XL) is in the process of being mostly ignored (except when I use it to test out hardware or setups that I need for the new tank) while the new tank ("Water Lily") is little more than a plan and some equipment while the new house gets built...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name:
Jason Mack

Year started reefing:

Why you choose your user name and avatar:
Unfortunately I didn’t choose my name my parents did !! But my friends call me “Mack “ or “Macky” so feel free too call me one of the above !

Favorite fish:
Clownfish have always been my favorite although.. I also love my Cbb !!

Favorite coral:
That's a tough one ... my rainbow acan ... my chalice ... my torches ... I’m just glad that I can keep them alive ...

Hmmmmm ... I’m a Brit , Irish mother , Scottish father ... born in England .. so I’m just confused !! I moved too Holland 21 years ago , I’ve had several careers changes over the years ,when I left school I learnt my trade as a plasterer , went into structural fireproofing did that for 11 years or so then when I moved too Holland I was in demolition, then worked for a company installing light masts for football and hockey ,my last job I was foreman for a welding company doing construction and later thermal warming projects ( pipe line) for the large greenhouses over here , 6 months ago I had two heart attacks, now fully recovered ! So changed jobs for a more relaxed stress free job as house boss(security) in a coffeeshop , which I’m really enjoying !
Hobby’s include
Cars ( the lambo in my photo is not mine , I borrowed it for a couple of hrs)
Martial arts .. jeet kune do .. Aikido (black belt)

Link to build thread

12AE9D55-DF9F-4D7E-BF41-6F50F26F59FB.jpeg

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-little-reef-aquarium.292277/

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
377188_2164589913805_534674942_n.jpg

Name: Freddie

Wife is Angelia (Been together since we were 14 and 15 years old, in 1982)
Two daughters (Heather and Holy-Marie) Grand Child at bottom left is Addie / Son in law on right is Josh

Username: Tennesse Volunteers "Football"

Been going to "Neyland" stadium since 1983
download.jpg

Favorite Fish: Achilles Tang

Favorite Coral: Space Invader / Pectinia

Strength: Asking for input from other reefer's that I fully trust.

Started my first freshwater tank in 1976 with the help and support of my father.

Got hands wet in saltwater (for the first time) in 1986, just after Angelia and I were married.

Current Reef: 2013 / Red Sea S-400 / Bare Bottom / Mixed Reef
IMG_20180429_143202.jpg
IMG_20180429_143155.jpg

Lost just about the entire reef in early 2015 / do to dino's :(

Build link is below:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/govols-red-sea-s-400.308824/

Have been in adverting my entire career and an research-holic ;Wacky ...
Including being an absolute "Other's" build thread, thief ...;Bookworm ...;Wideyed ...;Writing

All three granddaughters together :)
18268.jpeg

Oldest to youngest: Addie / Liesel and Heidi

Still have a long ways to go (in the hobby) and learning each and every day.

An true honor to be one part of the Reef 2 Reef, "family" and never take that for granted.

Can be outspoken, like to be playful and have fun.
Truly a humble person deep down, and try to keep God, close to the heart, at all times.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my name is Cameron
I'm 28 years old and I started this hobby 3 years ago.
I started out with a 26 gallon AIO and I didnt start the normal way, my dad did this when he was younger......so we got some sand and went down to the dock and got water and filled the tank up and let it clear up, then the next night we went and got fish from the side of the dock where all the stuff was grown into it. We got a couple gobys, baby puffers, a bat fish and no lie, two pistol shrimp lol. We ended up with alot of familiar fish you see in reef tanks today just not the colorful ones at all. Oh and pipe fish!
We got back home around ten that night and let them into the tank.......I didnt take my eyes off of it until about 4 that morning.
So we had that setup for a good little while until coral caught my eye.
I then purchased a 3 gallon for starters which is the very first post in "I'm bored lets see your reefs" and it took off from there.

My favorite corals are zoanthids and euphyllia.
Favorite fish would have to be the coral beauty angel being it was my first colorful fish.
I chose my avatar because Yoda is awesome and his name auto corrects to a capital Y when I type his name in.
Have been in the hobby ever since and love every minute of it. Just bought a clam today! For obivious reasons my user name is what it is because it's my name lol.
Happy Reefing!
FB_IMG_1525973130096.jpg
2018-04-24_20.18.55.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/260811/

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First name: Ranjib
Strengths: Nano and pico reef tanks. DIY Electronics, software & computer stuff
Started Reef Keeping: 2015
Why you choose your username & avatar: My username is my first name. My avatar is Jimi Hendrix's "Axis bold as love" album cover, he is my favorite musician
Favorite fish: orange spotted filefish & blue stripe pipefish (its a tie :))
Favorite coral: Rainbow montipora
About Me: I had freshwater tank back as a kid, for almost a decade. Then I got very busy with all things software and internet but always wanted to keep a reef tank, and kept on reading about it for 4 years. I took the plunge to keep a nano tank in 2016 when my son was born, to spend more time at home and also to learn electronics.

Outside reefing, I am an avid opensource software & hardware person, also very much involved in model railroad & robotics
71737F4D-8545-4F97-8F2F-9BA6A3AB3046.jpeg
87A4E15E-B0C4-45A2-801C-493FFED69978.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,
My name is Minh. I am 57 as of 8/2018. I came from Vietnam to the US in 1975.
My Avatar is the picture of my three boys. Orion is the name of my middle son. It is a fairly unique name so that was the reason why I choose it for my online name.

I keep fish and breed them as long as I can remember. In 1980, my freshman year at UT-Austin, I saw a anemone and clown fish at a LFS and was hooked forever. I have keep marine aquarium, and rarely without a marine aquarium since then. At one time I have 15 aquariums of various size in my apartment.
I keep a variety of animals, but my favorites have always been host Anemones & Clownfish, Tridacna clams, and Fairy/Flasher wrasses.
My biggest contribution to our great hobby were two treatment protocols: Fresh water dip for Pinched Mantel Disease in clams and antibiotic protocol for treatment of infected host anemones.

I am very blessed to be married to my beautiful wife for 26 years as of this months. We have three perfect boys. Two in college and my baby still in 7th grade. At this time, I keep 4 systems. 65 gal Anemone reef in my office. 40 gal reef as QT system, and a 30 gal sump less cube as another QT system. and my main DT which is a 320 gal DT system. I finished with fish acquisition mode so I will take down the 30 gal, and convert the 40 gal QT to the same sump as my DT over the next few months.

This is a picture of my family. We were having a lot of fun this last summer.
IMG_0769ed2.jpg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Mike and i went to med school but never finished it. Couldn't handle blood and fainted a few time. I became a computer programmer. I am 42, live in Tulsa Oklahoma and married.
Been in hobby for about 25+ yrs.
Its me with green wrist band
20120929_110231.jpg

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I should say hello being a new member of the FANTASTIC group

Name: Keith

Year started reefing: Had a 10 gal seahorse tank back in 1990 but didn't know anything then, lasted about 6 months. Been in salt water constantly since 1992 with a FOWLR tank till 2017 when I decided to step it up to a Reef tank.

Screen name: Fudsey has been my gamer tag since the 90s

Current tank specs: Waterbox 135.4 won here on Reef2Reef ! ! !

Build thread: You can see the build HERE (Be forewarned, it's a long one) :)

A little about me: Married since 1991, no kids unless you count fur-babies. Started with fresh water tanks in the late 80s and wanted more. Tried my hand at seahorses but didn't know enough to keep them very long. Moved from Mass to NC in 92 and started salt there with a 45 later that year. Moved back to NH in 96. Kept my live rock alive on the trip back in a 10 gal with a battery air pump. Set up the tank as soon as we moved in. Kept a Lion Fish with a Marine Betta and a couple of damsels for around 5-6 years before the lion passed. Got a new tank after that with a 72BF tank around 2003. One of those Damsels lived to be about 17-18 years old before it died from a stupid mistake. Kept that tank going for almost 14 years until the center support cracked. Bought a 90 to replace that in short order to house my new adventure in salt, a reef tank. Would still have it if it wasn't for winning the Waterbox. Been gaming since the 90's and that's where we are.

Thanks for the invite :)

me.jpg

Weirs-09.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Name: Randy

Info: Age 60. Recently retired physician. Ancient degrees in biochemistry and microbiology. Been with my wife Raylene for 21 years; no kids between us, although she has a bunch of great kids and grandkids scattered to the winds overseas who we nonetheless visit frequently.

IMG_4212.JPG

My First Reef: For 5 years starting in 1987, I kept a 100g custom acrylic system from a long defunct company called Lahaina Aquariums, with all the 'modern' features including a wet-dry trickle filter, external countercurrent skimmer with limewood stone, and metal halide/actinic lighting. And even though some of the techniques are no longer considered optimal, the tank did pretty much thrive and with much less effort that I expend now, despite all the intervening advances. It did have one huge design defect though - Return water was directed to the surface as usual, but also straight through the bottom of the tank into a plenum beneath the coral rubble substrate, where it flowed from right to left. Which meant that the only thing keeping the tank from draining completely in the event of a power failure or return pump failure was a huge check valve. Sure OK Fine, unless the valve develops a buildup of organic microfilms and crud and sticks open next time the power fails. (Maintaining proper operation of this valve was a high priority! I never did have that catastrophe, but I came close once.)

Scan-181110-0001b.jpg

The huge slate blue palythoa colony, as well as many other critters there, I got direct from a Hawaiian diver. Many other large pieces like that Elegance were routinely available at shops. Unfortunately the stores at the time would also stock many creatures, including obligate corallivore butterflies, non-photosynthetic gorgonians, even basket stars, that we now know would have had little chance of surviving (and they typically didn't, for long) and that are rarely seen in stores or online at present. I did manage to get some corallivores eating frozen food though, including a beautiful Chaetadon plebeius that was one of my tank favorites for several years.

I sold the tank when I moved for work. The Seattle area, even though on the coast and offering great boating and diving, surprisingly did not offer much support for this hobby at the time, and I was also extremely busy with my new position, so I didn't get back into the hobby until just a couple years ago, when I retired.

Current Tanks: I have two Reefer 450s operational. The first has been up for 18 months, and is a fairly high energy low nutrient system that is becoming increasingly SPS-dominant. The second has been up for 8 months, and is also a mixed reef although more of a back reef environment, and with a large number of BTAs and other nems. I recently added a group of 23 young ocellaris clownfish from Sea&Reef (arrived in fantastic health, btw); we'll see if they form a harem or just wind up attacking each other as they get older.

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

Other interests: When I moved to Seattle, I got my SCUBA certification and spent the next 20+ years diving first Puget Sound on the weekends and then the world on every vacation, always looking for destinations with healthy reefs, abundant fish populations, and relatively few other divers. My avatar and below is a photo of me taken by a fellow diver in the Galapagos, cruising along next a very chill whale shark.

Whaleshark&me.jpg

I am a science and science fiction addict. I collect vintage movie posters and movie props, particularly of and from science fiction films. I also enjoy sport shooting and riflery. And as much travel as my aquariums will allow.

The Reef Squad is a great idea and it's an honor being part of it. I plan to help out any way I can. :)

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me say I'm Honored to be part of such a Great Community of Reefers!

Name: Jay

Us.jpg

Favorite Saltwater Critters: Anemones and Clown Fish. Over the years I have never really paid attention to the Wrasse Species, but recently found a love for them. They are amazing Fish!

Year started reefing: I started my first fresh water tank when I was 10 years old. My Father was Military so we never really had a chance to set up anything for the long term, so everything simple and on the cheap. Back then it was the basic intro fish like Guppies, Tetras and what ever else was marked down that I toss in the tank. I dabbled in freshwater on and off over the years until our company relocated us from Kansas to North Carolina. My wife and I stared our first Saltwater tanks in 2012 with a 10, 15 gallon bow and a 29 gallon Biocube. Somewhere along the line we became hooked.

Screen Name / Avatar: Hdsoftail1065 is a combination of my old slug, 2003 Anniversary Edition Harley Davidson Heritage Softail and part of my Birthday. It is also used for several applications, gamer tag, old email and anything else that requires me to remember a user login. The Avatar is one of the Anemones in the Biocube along with one of our Picasso Extremes.

Biks.jpg

Current Tanks - 32 Biocube and a Oceanic 144 1/2 moon. Going in back into the hobby after short break we purchased the 32 and upgraded the lighting. Our initial plan was a mixed reef but that plan went in a different direction when we introduced 2 RBTA's that decided to have a family of their own. Now we have a nice little 32 gallon Nem tank. The 144 (L 57.5 x W 29 x H 29) has been a slow build all by choice. Remember - Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I seen this tank years ago but at the timing just wasn't right. Fast forward a few years and I found this one still brand new with my name written all over it. It will soon be stocked with some corals. I'm still tossing around what direction I want to go with this one. Mixed, softies, etc, time will tell.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Build Thread: Here

Career:- USAF Retired. / Aircraft Manufacturing

A little about us: Married 14 years to my best friend and feel blessed that we can enjoy this hobby together. You will soon discover I'm one of those guys that pays very close attention to detail...ok, maybe not, but I will NEVER forget our Anniversary! April 1st, who could ever forget that day! To this day she still doesn't know if I was kidding, but then again I still don't know if she was either. We have 2 children, daughter (28) Son (24). 2 grandchildren Keith (7) Addie (6) and 4 fur-babies.
IMG_20180824_172715_1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to be accepted into the Reef Squad and I'll do my best (as always) to help answer reefing questions and to keep adding real life into the forums.

Name:

Ron (bet you could have guessed that!) This is me and my wife, Elaine, doing one of our favorite things, snorkeling in the Florida Keys!
Ron and Elaine snorkeling.JPG

I’ll be 70 in April. So I think I'm the oldest Reef Squad member? I know I’m just a bit older than Lasse.

Year started reefing:
2004 I wanted to bring a bit of my snorkeling addiction into our home. Five years later I had 4 tanks! Now I have a 40g cube that is wall to wall zoas and RFA’s.

Why you choose your user name and avatar:
The user name just seemed logical to me. And the avatar is me in the Florida Keys holding a rare 4 leg Bahamian Star.

Favorite fish:
Any fish that has bright colors. I seem to like juveniles that end up maturing into dull looking fish. Like this young damsel on a reef in Belize.
Dansel in Belize.jpg

Favorite coral: Favorite invert:
Any coral that fluoresces colors well, but mostly zoas now.
FTS of my 40g cube.jpg

Favorite invert:
The most colorful rock flower anemone I can find! I have 30+ in my tank now, but most of them are very small babies (only 2 months old).

I love to learn about almost anything. I used to be a serious adrenaline junkie, but I’m slowing down now that I’m starting to mature! I flew small planes (Cessna 150 Aerobat), I raced sports cars all over the Midwest, I snow skied a lot, I was willing to try most anything adventurous. Current loves (besides my wife, our cat and my reef tank) are Formula 1 racing, snorkeling, beach walks, auto-x, astronomy, photography, science fiction, my hot rod Miata (450+hp), college football, volunteering as a Shell Ambassador on the beaches of Sanibel, ECHL hockey, and… well, you get the idea!

My favorite race car, my 1987 Toyota MR2.
Ron at the SCCA Championships.jpg

My current hod rod, a 2008 Miata with a turbo charged Ford 2.5 liter making 450+ horsepower.
Hot rod Miata.jpg

My daily driver and 2018 C Street auto-x winning car, a 2017 Toyota 86. And the car on the beach at sunset.
2018 C Street winner.jpg Toyota 86 on the beach.jpg

Me as a Shell Ambassador for the Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum on Sanibel Island.
Ron as Shell Ambassador.jpg

I was born, raised and started work in Detroit, Michigan, 3M Co transferred me to Columbus, Ohio at age 32. I became self employed at age 46 and moved to SW Florida at age 50. Retired at age 62 and the last 8 years have been the best of my life (not that the first 62 were anything to sneeze at)!

I’m married to my 3rd wife and I am her 3rd husband. We both understand how important communication is (from lessons we learned the hard way). And at 15 years (+3 years of dating) we’ve only had one ‘raise your voice’ argument. And that was about getting her to retire!

Link to build thread:
In my signature below along with a couple of other threads that are important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back