Melanurus Wrasse QT Tips (Halichoeres Melanurus)

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers [emoji225],

I just bought a Halichoeres Melanurus wrasse for my tank and I'm super pumped. He is so beautiful with great personality. I have him in QT watching him and treating prazi pro this is his 3rd day. I was wondering if it's a good idea to start treating copper as well? It was my understanding that wrasses don't take copper that well and don't want to stress him out even more if not necessary. Also how many days do you keep your fish in prazi? Interested to hear your thoughts [emoji189]!

0fe31bcd9c3228eeaf216ca3e0fa9ec5.jpg

Reef on [emoji226][emoji225]

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My did just fine with Coppersafe. Put a small bowl of sand in the QT for him to sleep in. It will have minimal effect on the Cu and he will really appreciate it.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use tank transfer method with prazipro in transfers 2 and 4, so 2 rounds of prazipro 3 days each. Also with melanurus and other and other sand burrowing wrasses, they should be provided a container of sand in QT to minimize stress.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same as Beardo. Most wrasses do very well with TTM. My melanurus was eating from my hand at the end of the second tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM or a chelated copper product (really anything except cupramine) are both valid options. Ramp up the copper levels slowly though, over the course of 5 days or so.

But as everyone has mentioned, regardless of the method you'll want a bowl of sand in the tank for the fish.
If you're doing TTM, you need new, fresh sand on each transfer.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! He's looking good. I have a isolation box coming tomorrow. I'm done treating prazi and I'm going to put him in the box in my display to let me fishes get used to him for a little bit. I'm not going to treat with copper because he looks fine and don't want to stress him out I think he's ok.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware--he may be a carrier and not show any symptoms. Lots of ICH and velvet in the supply chain now. I had an ICH and velvet outbreak in my tank last Dec. the Melanurus was the only fish that did not show any symptoms. I treated him and my surviving fish and all are doing fine now. At a minimum, I would recommend TTM followed by a 30 day observation period in a separate HT prior to getting him close to your DT.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the wrasse alive and eating as long as possible before treatment -- I find halichoeres to be fragile until "established" to copper. Worth the wait and extra effort, IMO

If you don't wish to wait, very very slowly over several doses per day over a week or so, increase the levels to therapeutic levels.

Last edited:

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave prazipro in the tank for 24hrs then remove with carbon and a 20-25% water change, then retreat with prazipro in 5-7 days.

SpiderWeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my 120g until he started chasing my Flame Wrasse...then he had to go! But they do need sand to bury themselves...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back