Method to combat dinos.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all,

I’ve been battling dinos for a solid month and a half, and they started due to an imbalance in nitrates and phosphates. I had moderate levels of nitrates while having undetectable phosphates. This imbalance arises because I did not think to dose nutrients during a fallow period, which really sent my tank to hell. Anyways my current treatment plan is as follows:
Dose neophos
Do small water changes with subtle amounts of phosphates doses to reduce extremely high nitrates
Dose 1.5 ml of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.

I have also added my clownfish after finishing qt in order to increase the bio load.

So far I have gotten much more hair algae, however there has been no affect on the dinos other than low amounts of die off on the back glass due to h2o2

I have also ordered some bacter 7 and will begin dosing 1 ml per day to introduce some competition.

Now here’s my dilemma. I saw the video by Julian speung informing not to disturb anything and allow the ecosystem to mature. Before I saw this I was siphoning out dinos into a 10 micron filter sock.

Now my sand bed has gotten very nasty. Should I continue to wait it out and cause minimal disturbance, or should I be manually removing as much as possible.

I have tried uv but to no avail because this species hugs the sandbed. Any advice on which path I should take, or constructive criticism to my current procedure would be pretty awesome and very appreciated. #reefsquad ?
I am also dealing with Dino's on a big scale. First things, PLEASE REMEMBER, this is a slow battle to win. Short of starting over, their are no quick ways to win this battle, you have to be in it for the long haul. It can be won, you just have to have patience. ;) :)

We are trying to defeat Dino's and change the chemistry balance in our tanks at the same time, THUS, the patience. Nothing in salt water tanks is done quickly with great results.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also dealing with Dino's on a big scale. First things, PLEASE REMEMBER, this is a slow battle to win. Short of starting over, their are no quick ways to win this battle, you have to be in it for the long haul. It can be won, you just have to have patience. ;) :)

We are trying to defeat Dino's and change the chemistry balance in our tanks at the same time, THUS, the patience. Nothing in salt water tanks is done quickly with great results.

Yep already prepared myself for the long haul. I’m starting to see some decent progress however as I’m getting a lot of GHA and film algae.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anything has changed but I have had an outbreak twice for similar reasons and Algaebarns phyto has helped both times. It takes about 2 weeks to start noticing a difference but once it kicks in it clears up very fast
Not sure if anything has changed but I have had an outbreak twice for similar reasons and Algaebarns phyto has helped both times. It takes about 2 weeks to start noticing a difference but once it kicks in it clears up very fast

I’m pretty tight for money and algae barn is very expensive without shipping costs. Would seachems product work? If not I can also get home cultured phyto on Amazon.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty tight for money and algae barn is very expensive without shipping costs. Would seachems product work? If not I can also get home cultured phyto on Amazon.
I would go for silicates instead. Actually I believe the quickest of them all. You may want to add Fauna Marin Bacto Reef ReBiotic to the mix.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for silicates instead. Actually I believe the quickest of them all. You may want to add Fauna Marin Bacto Reef ReBiotic to the mix.

I’ll look into fauna marin, but I already ordered sponge excel this morning. I’ve heard very good reviews of silica dosing if the few posts there are.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back