Mimic tang with flukes

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a mimic tang this past weekend and believe he has flukes.. What can I treat him with to cure and rid the parasites? I was hoping to use prazi pro but no local store around me carries it, wondering what else I could use to treat it? I want to start treating ASAP before it gets worse.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use general cure, which has the same drug as Prazipro in powder form. Don't follow GC's instructions, instead treat as you would with prazipro- two doses 5-7 days apart (you can do a 25% water change between doses).
1. For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration.
2. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium.
3. After 5-7 days repeat dose of API CG as in step 2.

GC contains both praziquantel and metronidazole, Prazi is reef safe-ish but metro isn't, so if you use GC and have inverts/corals don't dose it in your display tank! If the fluke-infected fish in the display tank you may want to treat al fish nd leave the tank fallow for 4 weeks to make sure all fluke eggs have hatched and adults have died.

also #mods maybe move this to disease forum?

OP
OP
Reefman603

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use general cure, which has the same drug as Prazipro in powder form. Don't follow GC's instructions, instead treat as you would with prazipro- two doses 5-7 days apart (you can do a 25% water change between doses).
1. For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration.
2. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium.
3. After 5-7 days repeat dose of API CG as in step 2.

GC contains both praziquantel and metronidazole, Prazi is reef safe-ish but metro isn't, so if you use GC and have inverts/corals don't dose it in your display tank! If the fluke-infected fish in the display tank you may want to treat al fish nd leave the tank fallow for 4 weeks to make sure all fluke eggs have hatched and adults have died.

also #mods maybe move this to disease forum?
Great info thanks!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info thanks!

Yes should conduct FWD before treating with medication. praziquantel in GC will cause the flukes to spasm and fall off. This is painful and damaging to the fish. The dip will remove from the body before treating which is less stressful on your fish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back