Modifying a RO/DI unit for drinking water.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 4 stage 150gpd water saver RO/DI unit. I want to modify it so I can also use it to fill 5 gallon jugs for drinking water. Is possible? I'm under the assumption that I just need to bypass the DI resin for drinking water?

If so, can I just place a tee on the line entering the DI canister? Then run a line with a valve to my drinking water tank?

Thanks!

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work fine, SpectraPure’s drinking water setup is a sediment , carbon block and RO filter. You would want a tee followed by a little ball valve Just downstream of the tee to divert the flow.

Freelamp944

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, can I just place a tee on the line entering the DI canister? Then run a line with a valve to my drinking water tank?
This is exactly how I have mine set up! Works great for now, but I'm also planning on adding a pressure tank and polishing filter. Then running it to my fridge for ice and a faucet at the kitchen sink. From what I've read, running your drinking water line before using the DI line can also help with TDS creep and make your resin last longer.

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly how I have mine set up! Works great for now, but I'm also planning on adding a pressure tank and polishing filter. Then running it to my fridge for ice and a faucet at the kitchen sink. From what I've read, running your drinking water line before using the DI line can also help with TDS creep and make your resin last longer.

Can you tell me where to get this polishing filter and it's purpose? Is it something that would go in a standard 10" canister? Also the pressurized tank is for quicker access to drinking water? Attach a pressure tank to a faucet for quick drinking glass fills I assume?

I'm still trying to figure all this out. I'm tired of going to the grocery store 2 times a week to fill a 5 gal jug lol

Freelamp944

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polishing filter is usually just another carbon filter. Its pretty much just for taste, because the pressure tank can leave a weird taste to the water. I think there are also some polishing or taste filters that will add in minerals to the water. You can get standard 10" filters that would work, but usually its just a smaller inline filter that is replaceable. I know BRS sells a polishing filter specifically for drinking water.

The pressure tank is exactly what you said. It just stores and pressurizes a few gallons of water for quick access. You also have to add a check valve before the tank. That way when you go to make water for your aquarium it doesn't drain the tank at the same time.

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polishing filter is usually just another carbon filter. Its pretty much just for taste, because the pressure tank can leave a weird taste to the water. I think there are also some polishing or taste filters that will add in minerals to the water. You can get standard 10" filters that would work, but usually its just a smaller inline filter that is replaceable. I know BRS sells a polishing filter specifically for drinking water.

The pressure tank is exactly what you said. It just stores and pressurizes a few gallons of water for quick access. You also have to add a check valve before the tank. That way when you go to make water for your aquarium it doesn't drain the tank at the same time.

Perfect. Thanks for all the info!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for butting in but I've heard you're not supposed to drink ro/di water but don't know why. I have been filling 5 gal buckets for tanks and separate buckets for house hold use ad our tap water is horrible. Please tell me what I'm doing to my family. Thanks

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for butting in but I've heard you're not supposed to drink ro/di water but don't know why. I have been filling 5 gal buckets for tanks and separate buckets for house hold use ad our tap water is horrible. Please tell me what I'm doing to my family. Thanks

RO/DI strips too much from the water. Our bodies need more than just pure H2O for hydration. It won't kill you if you drink it, but it slowly strips your body of the things it needs instead of giving it to them.

RO water is safe to drink though, that's why you should tap off the water line before it enters the DI chamber.

Pure h2o is corrosive, it will strip ions from what it touches to try and balance out. Hence why DI resin is called de-ionization. It strips these ions out of the water leaving it in an unbalanced state. That's why if you drink it, it will strip your body of these needed ions.

That's the short version and I'm not a master on the subject. I would definently discontinue drinking it until you modify your filter to bypass the DI chamber.

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You got me thinking with the tds creep...

Would it be better to put a check valve in between the tee and the DI chamber? That way creep is greatly reduced into the drinking supply from the DI resin? Hmm have to wonder it would even do anything since check valves close on back pressure and there isn't any back pressure from a closed line exiting the DI chamber.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI strips too much from the water. Our bodies need more than just pure H2O for hydration. It won't kill you if you drink it, but it slowly strips your body of the things it needs instead of giving it to them.

RO water is safe to drink though, that's why you should tap off the water line before it enters the DI chamber.

Pure h2o is corrosive, it will strip ions from what it touches to try and balance out. Hence why DI resin is called de-ionization. It strips these ions out of the water leaving it in an unbalanced state. That's why if you drink it, it will strip your body of these needed ions.

That's the short version and I'm not a master on the subject. I would definently discontinue drinking it until you modify your filter to bypass the DI chamber.

No this is all an old wives' tale.

The reason you don't drink DI is:

1. It doesn't taste good.
2. Resin is expensive.

The correct advice was given. Tee off before the DI, prevent backflow, and add a taste filter.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much for the information. Greatly appreciated and understandable.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have BRS 4 stages Water Saver.
I just did this with buying the drinking water add on from BRS.
I also added smart buddie for the auto flush and booster pump.

I was thinking only to get the auto flush but the price difference between that and the smart buddie was not that much. $90 vs $110.(Black Friday discount)

Of course the auto flush to lessen the TDS creep.

If you don't have a pressurized tank, the water coming out from the faucet won't be fast. Hence why the pressurized tank.

Pic on my build thread

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically distilled water came with skull and crossbones symbol.
If you mix rodi water with blood in a test tube the erythrocytes dissolve.
In real life the fluids do not mix.
I think rodi became more mainstream when Salt restriction was found to be helpful in hypertension therapy.
That said, not everyone has hypertension, and for some people drinking rodi water is stricktly unadvisable, even contraindicated. Particularly if there are concerns regarding blood salts (as rodi does not contain any), in fluid management and in patients with low blood pressure, or high blood pressure treated with medications altering blood salts. While it is merely MY OPINION, generally tab water through carbon seems a better drinking water. No studies of quality exist to my knowledge.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a link to a taste filter they like. Im looking to use my RODI unit to make drinking water as well now that I have a booster pump set up. Ill take the line off the DI stage to make drinking water. I could put a taste filter in its place if anyone has a good one they like.

Mrfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got a question about this... Zero water uses Di resin, so it's bad for you as well?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back