Month old tank

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my 55 gal tank up in the beginning of the month, and I’ve been posting updates every now and then. This is my third attempt at starting a saltwater tank, and so far I haven’t had any catastrophes yet. I just did another weekly 4 gallon water change, and all of the brown algae is gone now. Instead, it was replaced with this green long algae, I was told it was hair algae, and I was also told it was turf algae. My 3 turbo snails are hard at work but it’s still a constant. Other than that everything is going good, no deaths and my water parameters are still really good. Would that algae be a concern or will it dissipate as the tank matures? As always thank you for all feed back!!!

IMG_0518.jpeg IMG_0519.jpeg IMG_0521.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that build thread going!!! So I can follow updates like seeing progress really like your scape as for the GHA what type of water do you use?
Thank you i appreciate it! When i do my water changes i go to my local fish store for the premade saltwater. And whenever i add water for evaporation i have a gallon of purified water i buy.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the assumption that your nutrient levels were under control. If not, then that would be an obvious cause. How long were the rocks in your friend's tank? Were they dry rocks you bought and just placed in his tank? If so for how long?

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Okay couple things like mentioned above need a little more on the rocks and how they were stored or cured this could be an issue another thing you just mentioned is purified water is this for top offs? If so don’t use purified used distilled this could be a result to the issue at hand

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@livinlifeinBKK The rock’s were in his running tank for almost a year i bought them dry and he let me put them in his tank for, and I use the test strips for testing the water. I just checked now and my nitrates/nitrites are low. But i do use purified water for Top offs though,@Stephen8169301 i’ll buy a gallon of distilled

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@livinlifeinBKK The rock’s were in his running tank for almost a year i bought them dry and he let me put them in his tank for, and I use the test strips for testing the water. I just checked now and my nitrates/nitrites are low. But i do use purified water for Top offs though,@Stephen8169301 i’ll buy a gallon of distilled
Dont trust those test strips try and use salifert or hannah but salifert is a good brand to trust

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd highly advise you to go ahead and invest in a small RODI filter. They aren't too expensive on Amazon but are very effective. I use the RO Buddie.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it, i’ll go ahead and try to order one next week, and when I changed the water i scrubbed alot off. I appreciate all the feedback

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the suggestions above. I would like to add that after implementing these suggestions add a tuxedo urchin or two. There gha eating skills will put your turbos to shame.
Are they relatively easy care?

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very easy, however when there is no algae left you will have to supplement with nori, I rubber band it to a rock, or algae wafers so they don’t starve.
I’ll try to see if i can find one!

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running and what is their schedule? Is the tank near a window?

Nitrate/Phosphate levels may be reading falsely as the algae is taking it up.

Manual removal during a water change will help.

If you have a sump you could rubberband a toothbrush to a length of 1/2 inch vinyl hose, run the end end into a filter sock in the sump, start a siphon and scrub the rocks with the toothbrush. The siphon will pull the scrubbed algae into the filter sock and the tank water will drain through. This allows you to spend however long you need to clean the rocks off without running your tank down (just keep your return pump running).

If no sump you can do the same with a 5 gallon bucket. Just turn off the return pump, attach the filter sock into the bucket and dump the filtered water back into the tank when the bucket is full. Repeat until you get the algae scrubbed or you get tired of dumping a 5 gallon bucket back into the tank.

Ultimately finding/reducing the source of the Nitrate/Phosphate and the proper clean up crew will be the best cure.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running and what is their schedule? Is the tank near a window?

Nitrate/Phosphate levels may be reading falsely as the algae is taking it up.

Manual removal during a water change will help.

If you have a sump you could rubberband a toothbrush to a length of 1/2 inch vinyl hose, run the end end into a filter sock in the sump, start a siphon and scrub the rocks with the toothbrush. The siphon will pull the scrubbed algae into the filter sock and the tank water will drain through. This allows you to spend however long you need to clean the rocks off without running your tank down (just keep your return pump running).

If no sump you can do the same with a 5 gallon bucket. Just turn off the return pump, attach the filter sock into the bucket and dump the filtered water back into the tank when the bucket is full. Repeat until you get the algae scrubbed or you get tired of dumping a 5 gallon bucket back into the tank.

Ultimately finding/reducing the source of the Nitrate/Phosphate and the proper clean up crew will be the best cure.
I’m using the fluval marine and sea 25k spectrum light, and i have it on the schedule where it goes throughout the day/night cycle. And unfortunately i don’t have a sump i have a 100gallon canister filter

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the fluval marine and sea 25k spectrum light, and i have it on the schedule where it goes throughout the day/night cycle. And unfortunately i don’t have a sump i have a 100gallon canister filter
You could still go with a 5 gallon bucket and filter sock. Just turn off the return and any flow pumps, scrape/siphon through the filter sock until 4 gallons or so, stop siphon, dump water back into tank, repeat, profit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back