Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my experience as well. I have loved every fire fish I've had and mine is out all day. I just wish we could keep multiple for long periods. A mated pair of Helfrichi would be so cool to me

I currently have a pair of purples that share a burrow and swim together all day. I’m hoping they pair up.
ae80e4b53f6c986abc1716c4a1f025e9.jpg

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the 4-6 month mark when I've noticed things can go wrong. I hope you pull it off and they pair properly! I'd love that

I will definitely keep an eye on them. I never heard that before. I had a single in my last tank. Liked it so much I had to give a pair a shot!

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over rated - designer clowns

under rated - purple fire fish. most people say they hide all day or just stay close to their "hole". If given a true non aggressive environment, these beautifully colored fish roam the tank all day long and are not shy at all.
my firefish is out during scheduled periods each day. i can almost set my watch by it. it's cute.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess i kicked your puppy, sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually didn't say anything about the "Snowflake midnight ice lightning whatever" names though, i was saying that calling clownfish "nemos" or "nemo fish" on forums is eye-roll inducing, and also paying hundreds of $ for "Snowflake midnight ice lightning whatevers" is also eye-roll inducing for me personally... but also pointed out that it was very much a to each his own thing and that one man's underrated was another man's overrated judging by the responses in this thread. sorry my opinion offended you, but i don't think any belt loosening is needed :)
No kicked puppy here. It just makes me laugh when people use the nicknaming of something as to why they dislike it. Just take a look at all the ridiculous coral "names".

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the disdain for "mutant" designer clowns how many here have a special breed cat or some sort of special breed dog? Or for that matter the same disdain for special breed cats or dogs as well? What's the difference? I'm not asking to defend myself cuz I have a maroon ice black lightning onyx snowflake sunshine whatevertheheck clownfish, just curious on the thought process here. Boredom lol. I ask because I have a Bengal cat, bred for it's markings, size and personality. I had a yellow lab, bred for it's select dominance of genetics...what I'm getting at is whether purebred or designer bred these pets are bred for their looks, size, temperament etc. and for the owners that will be living with and caring for and loving the animals through their lives.
TL;DR just wondering if you feel special breed dogs and cats are "mutants" as well?
I love all these different opinions here!!!
And I like @Surfandturf take on coral names here...Can't wait to grow out that really cool frag of n-a electric superman blackhole wondernova ;)
Cheers

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the disdain for "mutant" designer clowns how many here have a special breed cat or some sort of special breed dog? Or for that matter the same disdain for special breed cats or dogs as well? What's the difference? I'm not asking to defend myself cuz I have a maroon ice black lightning onyx snowflake sunshine whatevertheheck clownfish, just curious on the thought process here. Boredom lol. I ask because I have a Bengal cat, bred for it's markings, size and personality. I had a yellow lab, bred for it's select dominance of genetics...what I'm getting at is whether purebred or designer bred these pets are bred for their looks, size, temperament etc. and for the owners that will be living with and caring for and loving the animals through their lives.
TL;DR just wondering if you feel special breed dogs and cats are "mutants" as well?
I love all these different opinions here!!!
And I like @Surfandturf take on coral names here...Can't wait to grow out that really cool frag of n-a electric superman blackhole wondernova ;)
Cheers
Hey Why-Me.......I don't think there is any disdain or any reason for "designer clowns" being listed here multiple times. This discussion is about "over rated and under rated" fish. I think what we are seeing is that just because something gets bred and end up looking different doesn't make it all that special and worth more money and hype to a lot of folks. To a lot of fish keepers, there is no big deal about it. For me, I just see nothing cool about them so to me its over rated. I like the good ol' oscellaris.

Its no different then labra-doodles, pom-a-poos, etc for dogs. Me, I love rescues, and the last one we had we weren't even sure what he was, other than a great dog!

So, I don't think there is much held against designers, I just think a lot of folks don't care for them, and a lot of folks do!

And of course, someone asked the question, so now we get the answers;)

mogul1906

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Gems and all sorts of “designer clowns.”
I plan to have all of the above. Only “overrated” fish I can comment on would be that hideous $1000 soapfish LA had for sale a few years ago.
Underrated? Flame hawks. They’re absolutely classic.
Totally agree on the flame hawk

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
That is my experience as well. I have loved every fire fish I've had and mine is out all day. I just wish we could keep multiple for long periods. A mated pair of Helfrichi would be so cool to me
My purple firefish lived for about 4.5 years. Was not shy after the first 8 months. Loved it. Why can't you keep multiple for long periods?

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kicked puppy here. It just makes me laugh when people use the nicknaming of something as to why they dislike it. Just take a look at all the ridiculous coral "names".

Lol, well the Coral nicknames actually get me more riled up than mutant fish names... one vendor on here in particular is really bad about not remembering what they called something two months ago... i bought a nice Acan from them a few months back under one super-duper-wondernova name and I've seen them selling frags of the same thing under at least 3 different names since then... I don't care if you want to make up some magic-rainbow-unicorn-farts name for something, but pick 1 name and stick to it! lol. that's my only real gripe with "common names"

Also there's a difference in referring to something by a common name i.e. Clownfish for Amphiprion ocellaris or Mystery Wrasse for Pseudocheilinus ocellatus and straight up referring to it as a "Nemo fish" or "Dory fish" if you're under about 12 I'll give you a pass on that, anyone older than that using those names is going to get a hard eye roll and maybe a little poking fun at ;)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
M

My purple firefish lived for about 4.5 years. Was not shy after the first 8 months. Loved it. Why can't you keep multiple for long periods?
Unless they're a true pair, they don't usually work out long term. One always seems to take over and ends up being the only one alive. I don't know why.

The few times I've heard it being successful with non-paired is in very large tanks where each can stay on their own end basically.

Maybe someone far smarter than I can shed more light on the topic.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Any clown fish, especially "designer". I will never put a clown in any of my tanks again.

Underrated: Firefish but specifically the Helfrichi. I rarely see them and they are easily my favorite
I have two Helfrichi firefish. They are stunning, hardy and inexpensive.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two Helfrichi firefish. They are stunning, hardy and inexpensive.
They are $120 or so around here. Not exactly inexpensive. The one I had years ago came in super cheap. Not sure why but I got it for like $35. Best deal I've ever gotten I think

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Underrated: Talbot damsel. I picked a damsel knowing most of you are running away, lol. Really is a pretty fish and not as aggressive as your typical damsel.

Overrated: royal gramma
Gonna pick up some talbot very pretty fish. they are not as aggressive as the blue damsel which are very mean. totally agree with you.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned Lightning Maroon clowns as a designer clown but the original one or two came from the wild. Most domesticated animals have been bred and cross-bred to get their distinct ability, the webbed feet on a lab comes to mind. The fact we are breeding so many clownfish versus taking them from the wild should be a good thing. I have met a few mean ones in my time.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most underrated genus - cardinals - especially the Pajama Cardinal - also known as polka-dots cardinal. But not only one or two - many in the same aquaria. I have 11 :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most underrated genus - cardinals - especially the Pajama Cardinal - also known as polka-dots cardinal. But not only one or two - many in the same aquaria. I have 11 :)

Sincerely Lasse

I just added 3 red striped cardinals about a week ago. They are first up and last to bed and are out and about all the time. I don’t think I want 11 though[emoji57]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back