Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

San Diego Reef Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is a 220 6x2x30". Eventually I plan to go up to a 6-8'x 3'x30 tank. If I have room, I'll go 4' wide but it may not fit my space in either the garage or in the house. 4ft definitely won't fit in the garage right now as that is my old cars parking spot.

I do not believe I will be taking this Singapore home anymore. It isn't taking much to prepared foods too much still because it's grazing off the rocks. Unfortunately that includes eating parts of the Kenya tree in their aquarium. Normally I wouldn't care but I have two color variations of Kenya tree, one of which is neon green and I can't risk it being destroyed.

One of the other local spots is holding a juvenile imperator angel for me. It's readily eating nori right now. They also have a juvi Koran that is eating like a pig. I hear these could be hot or miss on soft corals as adults however. Yes I am aware these are not in the realm of the dwarfs but Im thinking of a final tank ruler. The other fish I'm looking at locally is a flame, a bicolor, a coral beauty that's almost all purple and a really mustard colored heralds/false lemon angel. I really only have the one QT setup right now so I will have to be choosey.

We are almost at the 90day fallow period so things could progress nicely and perhaps I can convince one of the local shops to hold me some fish while I rotate through QT tanks. I do have the extra tanks for QT, just not the available space built yet. That's the plan with building the fish room in the garage. I'd like to have several 20QTs and maybe a 30+ setup just in case.
Have 5 dwarf…2 Coral Beauty, Flameback, Flame, Potters. It definitely can work. Also, Majestic, Convict Tang and Purple Tang…in 180

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 5 dwarf…2 Coral Beauty, Flameback, Flame, Potters. It definitely can work. Also, Majestic, Convict Tang and Purple Tang…in 180

From all the research and personal experience I have and have seen, the key is variety and numbers. Just like any other species, there's a pecking order and the more that can be spread to, the less one specific individual could be singled out and targeted. It will still and always be survival of the fittest but I'm confident in the future endeavors.

I picked up the imperator this afternoon and I'm waiting for the temps to even out in the the QT before I release the beast. They had already sold the false lemon and the Koran and would have sold the imperator had I not put a hold on it. It will stay in QT for 16 days and then go in the main display. The main display at 16 days will be at 96 days fallow. I may or may not do it right then as that is kind of a busy weekend for me. That is of course if nothing goes away. I've watched this beast mow down on some nori some no worries on eating. Pics to follow .

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot, my guy at the LFS said he can get me venustus and multibar easily and for a reasonable price ...

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goldflake and multibar in the acclimation chamber inside the tank. They have been there for five days. I'll get them out tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• IMG-9883.jpg
    IMG-9883.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goldflake and multibar in the acclimation chamber inside the tank. They have been there for five days. I'll get them out tomorrow evening.
That's the tiniest gold flake I've ever seen, where did you find that? I like the acclimation box, is that homemade? How big is it? It looks like the size of a ten gallon. What size aquarium do you have?

So I came home from golf and this little guy was bopping around the QT, picking at stuff so I've thrown in some pellets. It's not too keen on going for surface stuff but sinking things it has no problem with!
IMG_20220821_200140121.jpg
IMG_20220821_200932643.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_200140121.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 36

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goldflake comes from a local distributor in Spain. It is a tank bred fish and tank bred angelfishes are usually sold pretty small. The multibar is also tank bred.

Yes, the box is homemade. The base is plexiglas bent into a U shape form. The sides are made from crate tied with cable ties. I have a 125 g tank.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the tiniest gold flake I've ever seen, where did you find that? I like the acclimation box, is that homemade? How big is it? It looks like the size of a ten gallon. What size aquarium do you have?

So I came home from golf and this little guy was bopping around the QT, picking at stuff so I've thrown in some pellets. It's not too keen on going for surface stuff but sinking things it has no problem with!
IMG_20220821_200932643.jpg
Beautiful fish, I wish you good luck with this guy.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goldflake comes from a local distributor in Spain. It is a tank bred fish and tank bred angelfishes are usually sold pretty small. The multibar is also tank bred.

Yes, the box is homemade. The base is plexiglas bent into a U shape form. The sides are made from crate tied with cable ties. I have a 125 g tank.
I like the size of that box. I've seen other production style ones and the size you made looks more adequate especially for fish I see. What is the screen material on the crate? Also what did you use to make your plexiglass soft enough to bend? A heat gun or hair dryer?

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Angel is doing awesome, eats everything in site. Feeding nori, pellets and frozen. Picks everything up as it cruises it's current enclosure. Plan is to release by labor day weekend or after as long as no disease shows up.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently its hungry this morning... Also it totally recognizes the bag of pellets because they were in view of it's glass and it was pacing trying to get to the bag.

IMG_20220828_075343561.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently its hungry this morning... Also it totally recognizes the bag of pellets because they were in view of it's glass and it was pacing trying to get to the bag.

IMG_20220828_075343561.jpg
That emp looks quite large but I assume that’s due to tank size.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an angelfish go thru copper treatment? I picked up a multi color angel yesterday. I read they don't do well in copper. I like to treat all new fish with copper. Last year I had an ich outbreak in my main tank. Removed and treated all fish with 80 day fallow period. Don't wanna go thru that again.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can an angelfish go thru copper treatment? I picked up a multi color angel yesterday. I read they don't do well in copper. I like to treat all new fish with copper. Last year I had an ich outbreak in my main tank. Removed and treated all fish with 80 day fallow period. Don't wanna go thru that again.
I have my angels in copper and prazi. Kingi Tiger Angel, BA Regal Angel, BAGoldflake Angel, BA Multibar Angel, BA Majestic Angel, and BA Tigerpyge Angel. All doing great and eating well

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That emp looks quite large but I assume that’s due to tank size.
It might be 3 inches total. It's all perspective because it's a 10g run long ways. As long as it's disease free, it will promptly go into the main display this coming labor day weekend.

I have my angels in copper and prazi. Kingi Tiger Angel, BA Regal Angel, BAGoldflake Angel, BA Multibar Angel, BA Majestic Angel, and BA Tigerpyge Angel. All doing great and eating well
Nice collection you got, any pics of the Goldflake?

I'd like to see pics of these as well.

Does anyone know the growth rates on imperator juveniles? This one reminds me of fish that grow quick like rabbits and tangs. It also has definitely associated people with food, that's for certain. Anyone who walks by the tank is immediately set up on like a dog at the dinner table.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be 3 inches total. It's all perspective because it's a 10g run long ways. As long as it's disease free, it will promptly go into the main display this coming labor day weekend.

I'd like to see pics of these as well.

Does anyone know the growth rates on imperator juveniles? This one reminds me of fish that grow quick like rabbits and tangs. It also has definitely associated people with food, that's for certain. Anyone who walks by the tank is immediately set up on like a dog at the dinner table.
I have a build thread that I'll update

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the size of that box. I've seen other production style ones and the size you made looks more adequate especially for fish I see. What is the screen material on the crate? Also what did you use to make your plexiglass soft enough to bend? A heat gun or hair dryer?
Hi reefsamurai. I'm sorry for this tardy response, but I have been away on vacation. The size of the box is 40 cm (15,75 inches) x 17 cm (6,7 inches) x 22,5 cm (8,8 inches). The material on he crate is white plastic that I buy in a local shop. The plexiglas was bent in the same shop for a minimal amount of money.

I have bound an old Tunze magnet which, together with its counterpart outside the tank, keeps the box in place. I also added some plastic screen with a small pore size because both fishes were small.

IMG_9886.jpg

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update of the small golden flake and multibar 12 days after transferring them to the tank. Both are doing well and eating with gusto. The first two days they were quite shy and both tangs in my tank gave them the "welcome" party. No big deal. Afterwards none of my huge fishes (compared to them) have harassed them any more.

I have been away for 6 days. Therefore the whole tank has been on a dry food diet. When I returned both small fishes were swimming freely and enjoying the tank with the rest of their mates.

Some pictures taken the very first days after they were free from the acclimation box.

IMG_9949.jpg
IMG_9952.jpg
IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg
IMG_9895.jpg
IMG_9899.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back