Multiple dwarf angels in one tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that TSM aquatics out of New Jersey has 3 multicolor angels in stock. Little pricey at $160 but if you really want one you might want to act fast.
I wish I could but my love for clams is overpowering the Angel.
Instead I’m settling for a small Choati from my LFS (Going to start hunting in March/February). These are too irresistible plus they have that nice touch of orange. I guess the Multicolour will be the Angel for the 4’ tank once one of my other fish pass.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is doing great so far. The xanthurus gets chased everyone now and then mostly only at feeding time. I believe the imperator has resolved that it's new buddy is here to stay and to get over itself.

IMG_20221024_191317627.jpg
IMG_20221024_191329124.jpg
IMG_20221024_191408985.jpg
IMG_20221024_191410370.jpg
IMG_20221024_191413402.jpg
IMG_20221024_191415238.jpg
IMG_20221024_191418598.jpg

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time for a post but we have been looking and until now, very unsuccessful in finding healthy fish. I prefer to buy local for both my personal eyes on the individual and I can support a local who inturn supports the community. Today we walked into a our favorite shop and in one tank, had an eibli and a very orange coral beauty. Needless to say they are home now and in my QT for the next month. They are not the best of friends yet but they were already together so part of the battle is established.

Here's some pics including the xanthurus checking out it's new neighbors.

IMG_20221218_130120137.jpg
IMG_20221218_130117857.jpg
IMG_20221218_130126476.jpg

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time for a post but we have been looking and until now, very unsuccessful in finding healthy fish. I prefer to buy local for both my personal eyes on the individual and I can support a local who inturn supports the community. Today we walked into a our favorite shop and in one tank, had an eibli and a very orange coral beauty. Needless to say they are home now and in my QT for the next month. They are not the best of friends yet but they were already together so part of the battle is established.

Awesome finds! Hope the intro goes smoothly. I added a couple of multicolor angels to the dwarf gang myself.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have photos of close ups to the CB?
It looks like it could be what used to be sold as a Tiger Tail CB (Which seem to have just vanished from the markets).

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have photos of close ups to the CB?
It looks like it could be what used to be sold as a Tiger Tail CB (Which seem to have just vanished from the markets).

It's not a true tiger. The purple rings all the way around and envelopes the tail section. A true tiger would be great but this one is fiesty enough.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a true tiger. The purple rings all the way around and envelopes the tail section. A true tiger would be great but this one is fiesty enough.
That’s a shame, I honestly think the tigers are more common than they’re made out to be it’s just that some aren’t as easily spotted as others.
I think in total I’ve had 3 CBBs that were all tiger tails out of 5. But that tends to just be my luck with fish.

Either way, yours is still a beautiful specimen and I can’t wait to see what other dwarfs you go for!

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many angels are you up to the system? All dwarfs? Looks like everyone is mostly getting along.
7, all dwarfs. Coral beauty, Flame back x2, Flame Angel, Pygmy and Multicolor x2. There was definitely some pretty intense aggression when I first added the two Multicolors but they're all getting along pretty well now. I used two breeder boxes to acclimate and eventually lowered them down a little so they could swim out. I left the boxes in the tank for a few more days after they swam out so the could come back if they got chased around too much, which is exactly what happened. Once they looked pretty integrated I took the boxes out. I think I'm pretty set on stocking for now but would love to add a Potter's as a final addition if they ever become available again.

Attachments

• PXL_20221210_193451809.jpg
    PXL_20221210_193451809.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7, all dwarfs. Coral beauty, Flame back x2, Flame Angel, Pygmy and Multicolor x2. There was definitely some pretty intense aggression when I first added the two Multicolors but they're all getting along pretty well now. I used two breeder boxes to acclimate and eventually lowered them down a little so they could swim out. I left the boxes in the tank for a few more days after they swam out so the could come back if they got chased around too much, which is exactly what happened. Once they looked pretty integrated I took the boxes out. I think I'm pretty set on stocking for now but would love to add a Potter's as a final addition if they ever become available again.

You have my entire stocking list with the exception of the flame. I've heard too many reports of them picking off softies and my whole system is softies only.

Let me know how the multicolors do. They are a deeper water angel and it's been speculated that the high lights and warmer temps do not fare them well.

My next addiction I'm going to go after is a false lemon peel/heralds.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a nice collection of angels. Which ones do you have currently and have you had any for years?

Get some large angels too. I love the Gold Flake, Majestic, Blue Line (and the “Maze” hybrids) and Regal. :) Angels are my faves so we definitely agree on this one.

I don’t think Flames are that bad, plenty of people keep them in reef settings. @OrionN is the C. Loricula expert here.

Like you I am also willing to forego coral diversity in favor of angels. I’m an Angel / overall fish person all the way, but still want to have some corals.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're bolder than I am! Any coral nibblers in the group?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if any one’s seen mixed species pairs / spawning between dwarves of the same complex? I know they exist in the wild due to hybrids, but I wonder in captivity if any of you have seen (examples):

Coral Beauty x Flame (Bispinosa complex)

Flame x Rusty (Bispinosa complex)

Flame / CB x Potter’s (Bispinosa complex)

African / Brazilian Flameback x Cherub / Pacific Pygmy (Xiphypops subgenus)

Lemonpeel x Eibli / Half-Black (Flavissima complex)

Multi-Bar x Venusta (Multifasciata complex)

Just some examples.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if any one’s seen mixed species pairs / spawning between dwarves of the same complex? I know they exist in the wild due to hybrids, but I wonder in captivity if any of you have seen (examples):

Coral Beauty x Flame (Bispinosa complex)

Flame x Rusty (Bispinosa complex)

Flame / CB x Potter’s (Bispinosa complex)

African / Brazilian Flameback x Cherub / Pacific Pygmy (Xiphypops subgenus)

Lemonpeel x Eibli / Half-Black (Flavissima complex)

Multi-Bar x Venusta (Multifasciata complex)

Just some examples.

My system is large enough that I think this would be something to strive for, even if I couldn't raise the fry(let alone collect them).

Day three update on the newbies. I had to add some extra LR due to aggression from the CB. The eibli wants a friend and the beauty is having one of it. They have not started eating nori however frozen is eaten and they may eat pellets but I haven't seen it yet.

The xanthurus is very curious of the eibli because they can see each other through the glass. This may or may not help the future drop in next month. The imperator doesn't seem to care as long as it always has nori sheets..

Speaking of the imperator, it is starting to turn to adult colors. It's namesake bullseye is the first stripe to start fading.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What experience do you have with Xanthurus angelfish? It closely resembles the Singapore angelfish in color and pattern but seems to be easier to feed and stress, however I find it less attractive.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What experience do you have with Xanthurus angelfish? It closely resembles the Singapore angelfish in color and pattern but seems to be easier to feed and stress, however I find it less attractive.

Just the one I'm keeping. Current observation however is that once it has settled it, it eats like a horse, is intelligent and can recognize humans and that we feed and care for it. It has nipped at my Kenya tree every once in a while but nothing major. Currently for it's size, it rules the tank out of the two fish in the MT.

I had the option at a Singapore locally but it was a fussy eater, actively nipping the tanks Kenya trees and would hide often. I'm glad we picked up Bandit (wife likes to name the fish) as it's got a lot of personality.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have my entire stocking list with the exception of the flame. I've heard too many reports of them picking off softies and my whole system is softies only.

Let me know how the multicolors do. They are a deeper water angel and it's been speculated that the high lights and warmer temps do not fare them well.

My next addiction I'm going to go after is a false lemon peel/heralds.
Your tank is awesome! The flame doesn't bother corals at all really but I don't have too many softies. I can't say I've seen him nip at any coral.
Hoping the muilticolors do well. Hopefully I have enough overhangs and darker spots for them.

You're bolder than I am! Any coral nibblers in the group?
Not really... I mean they kind of nip at everything but coral the least. They mostly nip at the rock and sand all day. I've definitely seen them nip at coral occasionally but not enough to bug me at all. As long as they aren't killing or damaging anything I'm good. I honestly get way more annoyed at my chalk bass who frequently spaz out, darting from the top of the tank to the bottom, as fast as they can, breaking anything in their paths. Usually happens just as I'm starting to admire the growth on an acro. I wish I could say I purposely put them in as a planned automatic fragging system to keep things trimmed. Their work leaves a lot to be desired though

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since starting a new life in Thailand I am becoming acquainted with the owner of a local fish farm called Atoll Farm. They’re looking at exporting their captive bred fish in the future but still figuring that out. For now they’ve successfully bred Flames and Colin’s Angels, and the guy told me he will be releasing not C. Acanthops, but C. Aurantonotus in a few months as captive bred fish. First in the world.

He is also working on P. Multifasciatus and will soon do P. Venusta, C. Multicolor and Lemonpeels and Eiblis.

The dude is passionate about what he does and actually takes time to personally respond to messages regularly unlike Bali Aquarich and some others.

On top of angels the guy breeds standard fare like Clowns and Dottybacks, as well as Royal Grammas, Azure Damsels, Molly Miller Blennies and Mandarins (S. Splendidus).

Really cool guy to talk to. He also has his own brand of fish food. What’s cool about him is that he not only talks about breeding different angelfish species, he is having success. The hatch rates for Flame, Colini and now Brazilian Flameback eggs under his protocol is 80+%, that’s what he claims and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s really at / near that figure.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back