My Current QT Process

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concentration of prazi in GC is slightly lower than Prazipro. So for whatever reason the liquid version poses a much higher risk for issues in QT when mixed with copper. Used solely there is no issue and I prefer prazipro over GC.

Bacterial bloom from the Prazipro is a result of the oxybispropanol it is dissolved in. Oxybispropanol is an alcohol, so it is essentially like you are carbon dosing (ie vodka/vinegar dosing)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is 1tbsp of food? Like frozen mysis. Do I defrost them to get that measurement or?
Yes, defrosted and strain off the suspension liquid then measure out 1tbsp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh I did it wrong than. I defrosted a full cube of frozen mysis in a tbsp of water. I imagine my food is just not as strong

One problem with using medicated food is that different fish may eat more/less of the food due to speed of eating or hunger. It works 'best' when fish are treated 'singly'- but if monitored certainly is a great way to manage treatment for a group of fish

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem with using medicated food is that different fish may eat more/less of the food due to speed of eating or hunger. It works 'best' when fish are treated 'singly'- but if monitored certainly is a great way to manage treatment for a group of fish
I wanted to feed all of them incase it spread

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks that medicated food mixture in your first post, any fish we shouldn’t use it for? I just picked up a Lubbock wrasse and he has been in QT (copper, furan, metro) from the seller but internal wasn’t treated. So I wanted to do that before putting in DT.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks that medicated food mixture in your first post, any fish we shouldn’t use it for? I just picked up a Lubbock wrasse and he has been in QT (copper, furan, metro) from the seller but internal wasn’t treated. So I wanted to do that before putting in DT.
I used his medicated food recipe for many similar wrasses.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it for ALL fish, Wrasse are not a problem. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you feel about using kanaplex prophylactically?

Here is how science feels:

The aminoglycosides, including gentamicin, neomycin, kanamycin, and amikacin, are very effective against gram-negative bacteria infections when administered by injection. Unfortunately, this group has also been shown to cause kidney damage in fish when administered by this technique.

As a group, these antibiotics are not considered effective when used in oral or bath treatments. A couple of exceptions may be kanamycin and neomycin, both of which may be effective against external infections if used in bath treatments. In addition, kanamycin is also believed to be effective when mixed with feed to treat gastrointestinal bacterial infections (Gilmartin, Camp and Lewis 1976).

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how science feels:

The aminoglycosides, including gentamicin, neomycin, kanamycin, and amikacin, are very effective against gram-negative bacteria infections when administered by injection. Unfortunately, this group has also been shown to cause kidney damage in fish when administered by this technique.

As a group, these antibiotics are not considered effective when used in oral or bath treatments. A couple of exceptions may be kanamycin and neomycin, both of which may be effective against external infections if used in bath treatments. In addition, kanamycin is also believed to be effective when mixed with feed to treat gastrointestinal bacterial infections (Gilmartin, Camp and Lewis 1976).
So basically kana plex should be used as a food soak, when bacterial infection is suspected?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks what's a good live food to get tangs and blennies eating?
Tangs love live brine. Some will eat blackworms as well. I usually try to have both on hand when I have an inbound batch of fish.
How do you feel about using kanaplex prophylactically?
I really try to avoid the use of any antibiotics during prophylaxis. IME Kanaplex is just a good general antibiotic to have on hand I case an external infection shows up. Wide spectrum and when combined with Furan 2 (nitrofurazone) it's very effective. I don't feed either of them though. Only use in the water column for external infections.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs love live brine. Some will eat blackworms as well. I usually try to have both on hand when I have an inbound batch of fish.
I really try to avoid the use of any antibiotics during prophylaxis. IME Kanaplex is just a good general antibiotic to have on hand I case an external infection shows up. Wide spectrum and when combined with Furan 2 (nitrofurazone) it's very effective. I don't feed either of them though. Only use in the water column for external infections.
What medication do you use that contains nitrofurazone?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to follow the steps in Hotrocks original post on this round of fish. Thanks for the post by the way. Nice, detailed and easy to understand. Much like all of Humblefish’s stuff. My plan is to use the same qt tank. Heaters, powerheads, filter will be identical to the first round. All equipment sterile. I’m fully certain I can remove the fish from the tank to a sterile 5 gallon bucket with copper power dosed to 2.0 while I drain the aquarium, let it soak in bleach water for a half hour or so. Rinse it out thoroughly. And either use a hair dryer or air compressor to make sure its thoroughly dry. And then wipe it down with vinegar. Make sure that’s dry. I’ll already have a second batch of Bio Spira seeding the new filter running in a five gallon bucket. In a separate room with the rest of the unused equipment. And I’ll have my brute ready to go with 20 gallons of matched temp and specific gravity of the first rounds parameters.
Just roll it over, pump new water in, throw the equipment on it, and transfer the fish back. So the only thing being reused is the tank itself. I’m not fully confident I could sterilize all the filter components, powerheads and heater, so this is my best option without having to purchase another Tank. I’ll only be out the expense of another aquaclear 50. I figure having a game plan ahead of time I could do this in less than 2 hours. Seems feasible to me anyways. Currently on day 4 of quarantine. Last batch of fishes went through 30 days copper power @ 1.75ppm per Hanna and 2 rounds of GC. I’m thinking this will be easier on this round of fish. Only two small fish I might add. The first round actually did really well with the 30 day copper treatment though. Even the Melanurus Wrasse handled it well. Matter of fact it showed no signs of stress whatsoever. It was a 6 day ramp up though. Im sure that helped a bit. Any reason anyone sees why this plan won’t work??? If the tank is thoroughly dry could anything possibly survive??

EDIT. Went ahead and bought another qt tank for transfer. Decided not to risk it.

Last edited:

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do about uneaten food? I fear it's going to cause nitrate issues. I guess turkey baster?

My orchid Dottyback isn't eating as much as I'd like

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm done trying QT

Lost my Dottyback.

Water paramters were all perfect. Copper was slowly coming up. At about 1.25 ppm. Was in the tank about a week barely ate

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm done trying QT

Lost my Dottyback.

Water paramters were all perfect. Copper was slowly coming up. At about 1.25 ppm. Was in the tank about a week barely ate
What are "perfect" water parameters (also what test kit did you use)? Were there any other symptoms besides "barely ate"? I actually bought a $50 reef led for both of my 20 gallon qt's so I can see the fish clearly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back