OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much and how often and with what? Your nutrients seem a little low. Might try a little target feeding a couple times a week with some small particle foods.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do 10 ml of Red Sea ab+ mixed with a 1/2 tablespoon of reef roids.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do 10 ml of Red Sea ab+ mixed with a 1/2 tablespoon of reef roids.
Hmm I always hear about reef roids shooting phosphates to the moon. I think that is partially suspect because it is so fine and if it's in suspension when you take a water sample it might skew phosphate test kits. But either way you could try a little target feeding. Also wondering about your 7dkh Is it usually at this point? I would be worried about it dropping under 7. I run mine 8.5 range.

How does it look today?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Dust from Fauna Marine for my Goni's primarily. Seems to be good for mushrooms zoa's and chalices also since it is not quite so fine like the reef roids. I also feed Benepets Benereef and other foods frozen and pellets.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I always hear about reef roids shooting phosphates to the moon. I think that is partially suspect because it is so fine and if it's in suspension when you take a water sample it might skew phosphate test kits. But either way you could try a little target feeding. Also wondering about your 7dkh Is it usually at this point? I would be worried about it dropping under 7. I run mine 8.5 range.

How does it look today?
7 dkh is not what I usually run. I like to keep it around the same as you. Testing just got away from me.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 dkh is not what I usually run. I like to keep it around the same as you. Testing just got away from me.
Ah ok Yes I see in your post you raised your Alk back up. I would be looking more at nutrients then. I have better long term success with these guys when I target feed them 2 or 3 times a week so they get plenty to eat.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok Yes I see in your post you raised your Alk back up. I would be looking more at nutrients then. I have better long term success with these guys when I target feed them 2 or 3 times a week so they get plenty to eat.
What time of the day do you feed yours? Most people say to feed after lights go out, but At night mine are usually mostly retracted and don’t seem willing to eat .

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just feeding them and I noticed something I’ve noticed before, but never really given a second thought. The mouths on my goni got all puffy after a bit of feeding. Is this a good thing? A bad thing or has nobody really noticed this happening before. It’s not the best pic but you can see A bit of what I’m talking about.
FFDBC23A-0AED-4B76-8F31-27EE25943C11.jpeg

A sign of feeding?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
professor farnsworth futurama GIF

After coming home from work today I find my goni looking like this:
F3E086C7-7386-42E1-BA16-9C4E043DABB6.jpeg

I did a targeted feeding yesterday and that seems to have helped.
(Thought that could also be a complete coincidence as well)
I’m not even sure if that’s full extension considering that I only target fed it once.
you think it would be overkill to feed it every day?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Goni. I’ve never done anything for mine that seemed to improve their happiness. In fact, one (ORA red) closed up and near bleached out for two months before bouncing back from his tantrum. So now I do nothing and they’ve never appeared happier. Except when crabs crawl all over them. Mine seem to quite love turbulent flow.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Goni. I’ve never done anything for mine that seemed to improve their happiness. In fact, one (ORA red) closed up and near bleached out for two months before bouncing back from his tantrum. So now I do nothing and they’ve never appeared happier. Except when crabs crawl all over them. Mine seem to quite love turbulent flow.

Best of luck!
Ugggh two of my hermits have taken a liking to sitting right up next to this goni. I pulled one off and dropped him in the sand, and the next day the same exact crab was right back in the same spot. This time he had a buddy on his back who decided he wanted to try and crawl across my goni. I got them both before the little guy did and this time I put them both on the top of my rock work. So far I haven’t seen them back up close and personal with my goni.

I also got a new (lemon head)goni from wwc’s latest live sale and while acclimating I noticed that the water had grown foggy in the container. I placed them in my tank and noticed it giving of something wispy. Then a day or two later I dipped it and while using a baster lots of the actual flesh came off and now the skeleton is highly visible.
B3181006-F6A3-47F1-B8E2-BFDD57A44915.jpeg

I emailed them pics for a doa claim but no response yet.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just feeding them and I noticed something I’ve noticed before, but never really given a second thought. The mouths on my goni got all puffy after a bit of feeding. Is this a good thing? A bad thing or has nobody really noticed this happening before. It’s not the best pic but you can see A bit of what I’m talking about.
FFDBC23A-0AED-4B76-8F31-27EE25943C11.jpeg

A sign of feeding?
Mine will do that. The mouth will sort of protrude upward a bit. I have also seen the body stem below the tentacles get a little puffed out.

How did you acclimate? I don't acclimate corals. Dip if going to dip, inspect for things, rinse in clean water and into the tank. I do check temperature and will float for 5-10min if needed to bring them to tank temperature.

Goni's are just so sensitive.. An antibiotic or iodine dip might save the one in trouble. Probably has some sort of infection so I would be careful it doesn't spread anything to the others.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will do that. The mouth will sort of protrude upward a bit. I have also seen the body stem below the tentacles get a little puffed out.

How did you acclimate? I don't acclimate corals. Dip if going to dip, inspect for things, rinse in clean water and into the tank. I do check temperature and will float for 5-10min if needed to bring them to tank temperature.

Goni's are just so sensitive.. An antibiotic or iodine dip might save the one in trouble. Probably has some sort of infection so I would be careful it doesn't spread anything to the others.
I do a mix of the acclimation instructions from tidal gardens and worldwide corals.I drop acclimated for about half an hour. Then a day or two later I dip. I usually use coral rx dip, but this time I used seachem reef dip.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months and a week later
6E5A50B4-8725-4FFF-B762-FFF6840F5039.jpeg

And he seems to be doing fine.
I’m probably gonna start getting nervous around the 6 month mark. That seems to be the time when peoples gonies start take a dive.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a question, I noticed that the little tentacles around the polyps don’t seem to be as long as they were when I first got my goni. You think there might be any reason for that?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So according to Siri my original post was 7 months and 4 weeks ago …. So basically 8 months

My goni looks like it’s getting a bit territorial. Some of the “petals are starting to look skinnier and have a tip like a torch has at the end of its tentacles.
30563676-0DBF-4692-A020-A66A9F1AF3F5.jpeg

hopefully his new brother is far enough away that they don’t fight each other:

54E55A8E-7DED-44CB-902B-2799753AA732.jpeg

I swear I have a problem. I keep telling myself not to get anywhere goniopora, I have no more room for any more…. But here we are. Lime head goni from wwc for anyone interested about the new goni.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m nearing the first year with my first goni and he’s going strong so far.
FFC6E920-AB89-4965-A725-9C8A0AF39538.jpeg

and as you can see my goni now has a new neighbor. One of my rainbow bubble tip anemones split, and the offshoot decided to plop down right there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back