My New 75.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just upgraded from a 55 to a 75. I am starting this thread as a way to document my progress as I get into SPS. The new set up is a Oceanic 75 with an external overflow. I kept my DIY sump which is a 20T. The skimmer is a ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe. I have switched from T-5's to 2 X250W Radiums, I like the look of the Radiums. I have everything in the stand and barely have enough room to remove the collection cup from the skimmer. I will be posting pictures of my progress periodically and would welcome all comments and advice. my plan is to perform a 20 to 30 gallon water change every 2 weeks. Well its not much to look at right now but here are some pictures.
Coral view ballast, I have to tame the tangle of wires.
DSCI1284.jpg

Sump with skimmer
DSCI1285.jpg

DSCI1286.jpg

DSCI1287.jpg

FTS
DSCI1248-1.jpg

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Pics.
DSCI1256.jpg

DSCI1258.jpg

DSCI1251.jpg

DSCI1253.jpg

DSCI1252.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn71/KingRicky1961/Aquarium/75%20Gallon%20Tank/DSCI
1254.jpg
DSCI1289.jpg

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks good. Couple things though.

Get those ballasts off the bottom of the stand. And that plug/timer combo need moved too. That is just asking for disaster. Stick all electronics at least above sump water level. Putting those ballasts on the bottom of the stand is dangerous. Any splash or overflow or leak, and you are mixing saltwater and electricity - a deadly combo!

What kind of water changes do you do? I saw you will be transitioning to SPS (dominated I assume). If that is the case, you will probably need to do some pretty large/frequent water changes to keep the water pristine with the heavy bioload you have (I counted three tangs and a large foxface at least). As those four fish grow, they will be a heavy load on your system. So water changes will need to be pretty frequent to keep nutrients low enough to benefit SPS.

HTH,

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Couple things though.

Get those ballasts off the bottom of the stand. And that plug/timer combo need moved too. That is just asking for disaster. Stick all electronics at least above sump water level. Putting those ballasts on the bottom of the stand is dangerous. Any splash or overflow or leak, and you are mixing saltwater and electricity - a deadly combo!

What kind of water changes do you do? I saw you will be transitioning to SPS (dominated I assume). If that is the case, you will probably need to do some pretty large/frequent water changes to keep the water pristine with the heavy bioload you have (I counted three tangs and a large foxface at least). As those four fish grow, they will be a heavy load on your system. So water changes will need to be pretty frequent to keep nutrients low enough to benefit SPS.

HTH,
Thanks for the advice, I have already made some corrective actions. I mounted the power strips on the wall of the stand. I made a stand out of egg crate for the ballast to sit on. It doesn't get them above the sump but it's the best that I can do. Living in an apartment doesn't really leave me with a lot of room for equipment. I have added a DIY ATO. I placed it in a cabinet sitting next to the tank. Having a 21 month old, everything has to be up high or locked. Seems he can get into just about anything.

As for water changes, I am currently doing 30 gallons every 2 weeks. I am monitoring my prams pretty close and if need be can increase the frequency of the 30 gallon changes. When the fish get to big for the tank, I will be trading them for smaller ones. So far, the water changes and my skimmer seem to be doing the job. I have had this tank for about 3 or 4 months and have seen some really great growth. I am running my Radiums on a 8 hour cycle. They come on at noon and go off at eight. I feed the flake food daily and cyclopese and brine shrimp every two to three days.
DSCI1632.jpg

DSCI1634.jpg

DSCI1635.jpg

DSCI1636.jpg

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Pics.

Here are some updated pics of my tank. I have moved a few things around and replaced some others.
Full Tank Shot
IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got them from called them Fire and Ice but I had someone else tell me they were Lunar Eclipse.
IMAG0065.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, everything is growing in really nicely!

Thanks, I am fighting an outbreak of Bryopsis. I pulled all the rock out a couple of months ago and scrubbed it with a wire brush but it has started to come back, I started using Kents Tech M to try and beat it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back