My Rimless 14G Biocube SPS Reef

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So In June my Biocube crashed and this is the recovery.
I'll ask questions along the way and if anyone can help me, that'd be great :)
I dose Calc, Alk, and Mag from reef grow.
This was before the crash
this pic was taken about 20 hours after the first one, I crashed hard.
this is a post crash rbta
I've had this green trumpet for a while, it survived the crash but looks like hell, I don't know if it will ever bounce back.
the two euphyllia on the right went through the crash and the big frogspawn in the back is post crash.
this guy is actually the starburst anenome you see at the top of the tank in the pre-crash photos. It seemed to lose all its tentacles and is now beginning to regrow them. Needless to say he is a crash survivor as well.
Thanks for looking! I'll take all advice and suggestions possible!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Looking good!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks good! I did something similar with my return jet as well. Actually pretty much the same thing but I didn't use as much locline. What return pump are you using?

edit: Also, would you happen to have any pictures of how you did the rimless?

OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks good! I did something similar with my return jet as well. Actually pretty much the same thing but I didn't use as much locline. What return pump are you using?

edit: Also, would you happen to have any pictures of how you did the rimless?
I'm using the MJ1200 return pump. Make sure you get the cobalt MJ1200 not the Marineland Maxijet 1200. I read so many threads saying "don't try n take the rim off while the tank is running" or "it's hard and takes time and patience" honestly, I agree you should take your time but I completed mine in 30 min while it was running. I just started my cut just past chamber 3, even with the wall and I used a small saw (or something with teeth..steak knife etc) and I slowly made cuts one at a time in one direction, back towards me, as to not push any of the plastic back into the water. Once I got down to the glass, I put a new razor blade between the glass and the rim and slowly cut the silicone as I wiggled it making sure every few cuts I was getting higher up. Once I got a few inches of the rim off the glass I just pulled it up as I cut. Then cleaned the excess silicone off the glass with a razor blade and boom! Rimless! Just make sure you're careful and you should be fine :)

Corals.com
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Did I miss where you posted what you think caused the crash? Just curious if you know why?
Not sure if I posted why or not, it crashed bc I changed the substrate. I went from Hawaiian black to Tahitian Moon sand. I know EXACTLY how unbelievably stupid that was, at the time I had blinders on just bc I wanted the fine black sand so bad. It was a very bad mistake and it will never happen again. Lost everything but fish.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Jeez thats rough.But it looks to be coming back well! How deep was the sand bed that your replaced?

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm using the MJ1200 return pump. Make sure you get the cobalt MJ1200 not the Marineland Maxijet 1200. I read so many threads saying "don't try n take the rim off while the tank is running" or "it's hard and takes time and patience" honestly, I agree you should take your time but I completed mine in 30 min while it was running. I just started my cut just past chamber 3, even with the wall and I used a small saw (or something with teeth..steak knife etc) and I slowly made cuts one at a time in one direction, back towards me, as to not push any of the plastic back into the water. Once I got down to the glass, I put a new razor blade between the glass and the rim and slowly cut the silicone as I wiggled it making sure every few cuts I was getting higher up. Once I got a few inches of the rim off the glass I just pulled it up as I cut. Then cleaned the excess silicone off the glass with a razor blade and boom! Rimless! Just make sure you're careful and you should be fine :)
I've been thinking about going rimless since I have the lid off anyway. I used the MJ900 probably should have used the 12 but oh well.

OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Got the Aqua Illumination Prime HD! Stay tuned for pics. Also if anyone else has a prime, post your schedule, I need a good base to start from

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 301 36.9%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 360 44.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 105 12.9%

Online statistics

Members online