My sps die in 2 weeks

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have a 50 gallon tank,In which I try to keep sps unsuccessfully, The aquarium is 1 year and 7 months old, In this time I have only been able to maintain zoas, I searched everywhere, I changed all the routines, I used test of all the marks, but I can not keep the sps alive, could anyone help me?

I am going to provide a lot of photos of the system, my parameters and the routine that I follow.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , could use a little more info .. how many fish ? What sort ? What other corals do you have , what are your current water parameters ..

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment

-Light: Ati powermodule 8x24
The photoperiod has a total of 8 hours, the accessory is hung at 10 ', I receive a pair of 100 at the bottom of the tank and a pair of 350 in the line of flotation.

-Skimmer
Nyos quantum 120, the device works 24/7, is doing a good job with black foam

-Live rock
Add 10 kilograms of dry rock and 5 kilograms of live rock, I also have 3 bags of siporax, and 3 blocks of marinepure

-Seaweed Refuge
A friend gave me a little chaeto a week ago, this is new in the system

-Circulation
Inside the tank there are 2 pumps tunzes 6045

-Fish
At the moment I maintain inside the tank, 5 fish

1 Zebrasoma flavescens
1 hepatus
1 amphitrion ocellaris
2 crhomis viridis

My Parameters
My parameters are stable over time, I have had reef aquariums successfully for 8 years and I have never had these problems.

Alk: 8.1 red sea test
Ca: 410 red sea test
Mg: 1360 red sea test
Po4: 0.04 hanna
No3: 8 red sea test

Water changes

I make a water change every 15 days of 12 gallons

Additives

- Peristaltic use with additives red foundation a, b and c, to maintain the basic parameters

- I use fitoplakton de seachem, 1ml 3 times a week

- I use zooplakton de seachem, 1ml 3 times a week

- Coral vitalizer 2 drops per week

- Food to my fish, with food ocean nutrition in flakes 1 time every day

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Are there any other corals in the system besides the ailing SPS and zoas? Any chance of contaminants; do a massive water change? Are you running activated carbon? How are you utilizing the 2 Tunzes? That's a lot of flow for a 50G system, might be too much? Any chance of stray voltage?

And FYI those tangs are too large for a 50G.

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- In the system there is an acanthastrea, this one is releasing their heads little by little. Some of my zoas are doing well, others are not. I also have some mushrooms, which are doing well too.

- I have made large water changes over a long period of time, but the sps that I enter later die again weeks later.

- I'm running 150ml of carbon 24 hours, I change it every 3 weeks, The active carbon is in the machine room, next to the pump up.

- The two tunzes are oriented towards the surface, they create a good flow, but with the form of my rocks they do not have a direct flow that can be stressful

- I do not understand what it means by stray voltage, does it refer to any electrical device that introduces electricity into the water?

I'm going to take some photos to show you in a few minutes, I can also take a video to show you the system well

Thank you very much for your help

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on stray voltage; any electrical device that could be adding current to the water. You would likely see some oddness in many of your coral. Photos may help, but most of the time this tends to be a chemistry issue.

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my appliances are new, I have never had any electricity cuts, nor do I feel anything strange about electricity,

The aquarium when it started was doing well for a few months, then the sps started to stn and rtn.

Throughout this year I have performed 3 analytical triton with no apparent anomalies, in 1 of them my copper levels were 5 parts per billon, I think that is not an alarming result, equally I put cuprisorb to prevent. I have thought of restarting the system at the end of the year if I do not find the cause

SAM_2013.jpg

SAM_2015.jpg

SAM_2017.jpg

SAM_2016.jpg

SAM_2020.jpg

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can use a RO DI water equipment, my water has a value of 0 TDS, my equipment has 6 stages, with mixed resins and antisilicate / phosphate resins. Filters and resins are periodically replaced to maintain water quality.

The density of my water is controlled by a Millwaukee digital refractometer, it is 1025 sg or 35ppt, The salt I use is red sea salt.

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, I have algae in my rocks, I have been trying to feed heavier in case the problem, but not the problem, I am now feeding a little lighter, to re-control the algae

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance the filter floss you are using could have a treatment for mold/mildew or fire retardant on it? Is it made for aquariums?

OP
OP
Rixar

Rixar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter is for aquariums, the brand is prodac, I do not know if it commercializes where you live.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough one. Any airborne chemicals in the area of the tank? Aerosol scents or anything like that?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well your tests for nutrients are worthless. Your rock work is covered in algae, you clearly have nutrients in the system. If you didn't, then the algae would not exist; this is a far better indicator than any test. Testing won't come back positive when you have that much algae in your system. I would focus on cleaning that stuff up and monitoring your nutrients, specifically your feeding. I'm not sure if this is what's causing your SPS to die, but its definitely an issue you should address.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is your T5 bulbs? What is your par where you keep your sps before.
T5 with 8hrs run last about 8 to 10 months tops.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%

Back