Nano Inspiration: Nano Photos Past & Present and Why Do You Nano?

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 291 49.0%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 125 21.0%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 98 16.5%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 71 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 1.5%

• Total voters

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be helpful to define what "Nano" means... to me it's anything in the 10-Gallon and less variety, which means my tank doesn't qualify, and I see a lot of tanks that are offered as "Nano" tanks that wouldn't fit my definition, but other smaller tanks that are not offered as "Nano" tanks. So there's a disparity in the Industry due to lack of a clear definition :-D
I have seen this question come up several times with only a partial answer, but it was good none the less. Following is my basic suggestion:

Pico - 5 gallons or less
Nano - between 5 and 20 gallons
Micro - between 20 and 40 gallons

I would measure the total capacity.

If I use the total capacity, my bigger tank is a "Micro" at 30 gallons with an actual display volume of just over 20 gallons. It is an IM All in One that is referred to as a 30 gallon tank, but that really is a bit of a marketing cheat because the display area is only 20 gallons.

I also have a 12 gallon AIO with 10 gallons of display. That I refer to as a "Nano"

I also have a bookshelf tank that is 36" long but only 8 gallons. That is also a Nano. If I set up a 2 or 3 gallon tank then I would call it a Pico.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nano build https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shallow-long-nano-build.874685/
IMG_20211119_113751246.jpg

IMG_20211124_195707001.jpg

IMG_20211124_193522778.jpg

Last edited:

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my IM 30 gallon AIO, 20 gallon display...

Yes, there are 2 tangs in there. I have had the Hippo tang for about 18 months since the size of a quarter.

The PBT "disappeared" completely virtually overnight after a month. I have no idea where it went. It was completely healthy and eating mysis and pellets very well. Totally cleared out any trace of GHA too.

It was a failed experiment of 2 tangs in a small space while I get my 70 gallon tank set up They didn't fight, but they weren't particularly happy!

20211007_200804.jpg

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some consider under 40 a nano so here is my 30 L. I love the size, (I'm short). I can reach everything, it's an AIO so relatively easy to take care of but appears much larger than it is. I also have a 14g peninsula so my nano has a nano too, And a 10g freshwater Nano Nano Nano!

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 134

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this question come up several times with only a partial answer, but it was good none the less. Following is my basic suggestion:

Pico - 5 gallons or less
Nano - between 5 and 20 gallons
Micro - between 20 and 40 gallons

I would measure the total capacity.

If I use the total capacity, my bigger tank is a "Micro" at 30 gallons with an actual display volume of just over 20 gallons. It is an IM All in One that is referred to as a 30 gallon tank, but that really is a bit of a marketing cheat because the display area is only 20 gallons.

I also have a 12 gallon AIO with 10 gallons of display. That I refer to as a "Nano"

I also have a bookshelf tank that is 36" long but only 8 gallons. That is also a Nano. If I set up a 2 or 3 gallon tank then I would call it a Pico.
Yeh, I agree with most of this, though I think creating a 3rd category (Micro) maybe confuses things a bit. The problem is the industry needs standardization. I have a Fluval Flex 32.5G that has a display volume of around 25 Gallons I think, since the back chambers aren't sealed as they should be it's really hard to discern how much water they will hold, and I think 7 Gallons is actually pushing it a bit. That puts me in the Micro category going by yours, but plenty of people consider it a Nano tank, lol... We just need a clear definition that is known to the community, and hopefully that will force the industry to follow suit.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some consider under 40 a nano so here is my 30 L. I love the size, (I'm short). I can reach everything, it's an AIO so relatively easy to take care of but appears much larger than it is. I also have a 14g peninsula so my nano has a nano too, And a 10g freshwater Nano Nano Nano!
I had a 30 long over a decade ago in my office at work and it was probably my favorite size tank. It looks much larger than it is, and as shallow as it is, a little light goes a long way. I ran a 36" PC fluorescent light and could grow almost anything.

It had an under gravel plate under one side and a "Skilter" HOB filter. I retrofitted the skilter with a limewood block to reduce the noise and it worked great. I also drilled it so it would drain the skim into a 1 gallon jug behind the cabinet.

Now that I think of it, it was closer to 20 years ago!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has seen better days. But I am happy to say it is on the upswing at least for the moment. Plans are to make it an anemone tank when I upgrade in a few months. The only thing I don't like is lugging water up 2 flights of stairs. 10g waterbox.
20211202_131023.jpg

Its in the office along with my pico tank. Why? Why not?
20211202_092022.jpg

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite surprised that I enjoy the nano (Started Aug 2021) more than our display tank (Red sea 350). Dedicated zoa and rock flowers is the theme. Love it. Very simple in design.
IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

Struggling to get a decent full tank shot! Suggestions are welcome.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new cabinet is on the way for under the freshwater tank. I am also waiting for stock so I can upgrade my light on that tank too. For the reef tank on the left, I am adding an auto doser and may change lights at some point

IMG_0282.JPEG

IMG_0351.JPEG

IMG_0454.JPEG

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my nano partially as a landing place for things I wanted to keep from a tank I was taking down. I wanted to start my 50g with all new stuff in the hopes that I might avoid some of the problems of the original tank. Spoiler alert, the nano with all the old stuff runs way better than the 50 with the shiny new stuff in it.

This little 10 gallon IM tank has been great. It maybe has a few more bristleworms that I'd like and some kind of sea lettuce that won't go away, but it's been a great place to send corals that are struggling (for some reason they all love this tank) and it's great for tiny creatures like my porcelain and pom pom crabs that would likely become snacks in the other tank. Water changes and other maintenance tasks are easy. Makes me want another one!

PXL_20211202_185114637.MP-01.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be helpful to define what "Nano" means... to me it's anything in the 10-Gallon and less variety, which means my tank doesn't qualify, and I see a lot of tanks that are offered as "Nano" tanks that wouldn't fit my definition, but other smaller tanks that are not offered as "Nano" tanks. So there's a disparity in the Industry due to lack of a clear definition :-D
To me, a nano is 10-40 gallons, a pico is less than ten gallons.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been in this hobby since the early 80’s and I’ve always kept nanos, in fact, I never kept a tank larger than a 29g until 4 years ago when I upgraded my 22g to a custom 90g. I mostly kept nanos because of budget and the lack of room, also because i spent a lot of time on the road as a gigging musician and found nanos easier to take care of, but that’s just me. I wish I had photos of my 15g nano from the 90’s, but unfortunately I lost a lot of pictures when I moved. Needless to say, it was lit by a single 150w iwasaki 6500k MH and had a 10g display refugium below.
After I moved to SoCal, I didn’t keep a tank for a long time, but couldn’t stand not having one, so I set up this 22g for my son. Here is the final top down shot before I upgraded to the 90g. It ran without a skimmer for over 2 years, but the biomass required a little more O2, so I had to add a skimmer for the last year of its life.
1D25908A-37DD-4E91-8834-BBEA47752E95.jpeg

I love nanos and I’m currently setting up a 25g with a 10g mangrove/clam lagoon attached. Here’s the skeleton system getting ready for the final assembly and leak test (not in its final destination).
2237A643-0A28-46D8-834C-4742373F2ACB.jpeg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, a nano is 10-40 gallons, a pico is less than ten gallons.
Haha, this is kind of my point, if you read after my initial post, someone else replied and has a different idea of what differs between Pico, Nano, and "micro". The "to me" stuff is what makes it hard to nail down. We should have a thread/poll dedicated to creating a definition and then have that in a dictionary so everyone is on the same page. Then, perhaps the industry will take note and start naming their tanks accordingly (I know, pipe dreams galore)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back