Need Advice: Installing RODI Unit In Science Classroom

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of prepping for a tank build in my classroom and of course one thing on the list is installing an RODI unit in the room. I have installed units at home both using the washer water line and under the faucet using a John Guest adapter. The issue I am having is the lines under the sink are not hoses, its metal piping, 3/4" diameter. I do have access to a plumber to help with the work but I am thinking the may need some guidance. Do anyone have any ideas on how I can attach my RODI unit to this water line? Would it make sense to see if they can convert the line to a hose and use a John Guest adapter again? I'm not handy so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of faucet is available? Thinking with it being a school making adjustments to the physical plumbing is probably quite a hurdle to overcome.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of faucet is available? Thinking with it being a school making adjustments to the physical plumbing is probably quite a hurdle to overcome.
Can you elaborate? Is there a possibility that the piping could be converted to hose?

Not exactly mine but seems similar.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for plumber. Is there a shut off for the cold side? Shut off, cut pipe, install "T" sharkbite fitting with the fitting you need on it. They are just push to connect and very easy to use.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for plumber. Is there a shut off for the cold side? Shut off, cut pipe, install "T" sharkbite fitting with the fitting you need on it. They are just push to connect and very easy to use.
Thanks! Could you possibly link me to the fitting you are describing? I would really appreciate it!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the new fitting is what you need they are available in 3/4 also. Just verify all fittings. They are around 25-30$ a pop
Perfect, I am meeting with our maintenance staff next week, I wanted to at least have an idea of what I am looking for. I think this should be very doable. Thanks so much for your help.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a Shut-off valve under the sink, you can “Y” off of it. Also if the Shut off is attached to the pipe with a Compression Fitting, Lowe’s has a Double Shut off compression mounted valve, that can replace the Single Shut of Valve. BTW, Shark-bite use in Commercial Buildings in most Jurisdictions is against the Codes. I wouldn’t use them, just due to future liability. I drilled my Laundry Sink, and installed a separate valve in the back deck deck for my RO/DI Tap. Pictures are on this site. You said this was in a Classroom? School? They should have in house plumbers that will do the work, just need to get into the work order system to put in a request. I worked Facilities my last 13 years, and we took a very dim view of boot legged work. As in lets get a suspension in order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a Shut-off valve under the sink, you can “Y” off of it. Also if the Shut off is attached to the pipe with a Compression Fitting, Lowe’s has a Double Shut off compression mounted valve, that can replace the Single Shut of Valve. BTW, Shark-bite use in Commercial Buildings in most Jurisdictions is against the Codes. I wouldn’t use them, just due to future liability. I drilled my Laundry Sink, and installed a separate valve in the back deck deck for my RO/DI Tap. Pictures are on this site. You said this was in a Classroom? School? They should have in house plumbers that will do the work, just need to get into the work order system to put in a request. I worked Facilities my last 13 years, and we took a very dim view of boot legged work. As in lets get a suspension in order.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I do have a work order in, I am meeting with the head of maintainance next week to discuss. I guess I was just looking for ideas that I could present to them so they exactly what I am looking for. Maybe saying less is better? Just tell them I need a tee off of this copper tube to a 1/4" push connect with a valve on it?

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my garage sink is linked below. It doesn't require any alteration to the plumbing system and you can remove it easily if necessary. I found it on Amazon. Works just fine.

LiquaGen Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve/Adapter Ring + Tubing | Reverse Osmosis Water | Lead Free | Faucet Aerator Adapter Kit | Water Diversion Connector​

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 17-48-11 LiquaGen Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve Adapter Ring + Tubing ...png

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push to connect is a good solution. Although you need enough wiggle room to get it in, then enough rebound to get it seated properly. Maybe a screw onto end of faucet adaptor is a better, safer alternative

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my garage sink is linked below. It doesn't require any alteration to the plumbing system and you can remove it easily if necessary. I found it on Amazon. Works just fine.

LiquaGen Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve/Adapter Ring + Tubing | Reverse Osmosis Water | Lead Free | Faucet Aerator Adapter Kit | Water Diversion Connector​

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 17-48-11 LiquaGen Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve Adapter Ring + Tubing ...png

Does this screw onto the faucet itself? It doesn't have threads in my situation.

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push to connect is a good solution. Although you need enough wiggle room to get it in, then enough rebound to get it seated properly. Maybe a screw onto end of faucet adaptor is a better, safer alternative
Doesn't seem like that is possible, there are no male threads on my faucet.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back