Need help identifying things

taylear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am pretty new to the hobby and have a 40 breeder tank that has been up and running for around 7 months now. Currently I am having a bad hair algae outbreak and alongside the hair algae I have noticed some other things popping up around the tank that I'd like to identify and deal with if I need to.

The first is this plant like structure that I notice only in areas on my rock not exposed to light. It is white/clear in color and each piece is like a string with little beads on it. I attached one pic of me holding it in the water and one pic of me holding it out of the water.

The next thing ive noticed is these worm like things that are attached to rocks and some of my hard corals. The picture I attached has them circled in red. They have flat bases that are attached to the rocks and appear to remain stationary.

The last thing is just a picture of the thin hairs that have been popping up all over my tank. Im not sure if they are also just hair algae or not, when I pull them out they look like just really long pieces of green hair algae, its just strange that some of them are so long and appear more brown in the water. Ive also noticed similar looking brown strings popping out of the sand? Is this something different?

I know im throwing you guys a lot, but please let me know if you all recognize any of these and let me know what needs to be done if anything! Thanks, I appreciate it!

image0 (6).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg Inkedimage3 (2)_LI.jpg image2 (2).jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue what the first pics are... white stuff!

Second pic are vermatid snails. If you can take the rock out and break them off with pliers, that would be best. Or, i crush them in the tank with pliers. Some also put superglue over their owning and kill them that way. They are considered a nuisance since they can irritate corals... but, not always.

This pic just looks like a type of gha to me under the blue lights.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back