Need help identifying things

  • Thread starter Thread starter taylear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

taylear

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am pretty new to the hobby and have a 40 breeder tank that has been up and running for around 7 months now. Currently I am having a bad hair algae outbreak and alongside the hair algae I have noticed some other things popping up around the tank that I'd like to identify and deal with if I need to.

The first is this plant like structure that I notice only in areas on my rock not exposed to light. It is white/clear in color and each piece is like a string with little beads on it. I attached one pic of me holding it in the water and one pic of me holding it out of the water.

The next thing ive noticed is these worm like things that are attached to rocks and some of my hard corals. The picture I attached has them circled in red. They have flat bases that are attached to the rocks and appear to remain stationary.

The last thing is just a picture of the thin hairs that have been popping up all over my tank. Im not sure if they are also just hair algae or not, when I pull them out they look like just really long pieces of green hair algae, its just strange that some of them are so long and appear more brown in the water. Ive also noticed similar looking brown strings popping out of the sand? Is this something different?

I know im throwing you guys a lot, but please let me know if you all recognize any of these and let me know what needs to be done if anything! Thanks, I appreciate it!

image0 (6).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg Inkedimage3 (2)_LI.jpg image2 (2).jpeg
 
I have no clue what the first pics are... white stuff!

Second pic are vermatid snails. If you can take the rock out and break them off with pliers, that would be best. Or, i crush them in the tank with pliers. Some also put superglue over their owning and kill them that way. They are considered a nuisance since they can irritate corals... but, not always.

This pic just looks like a type of gha to me under the blue lights.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new