need help please

unknown_callet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a goldie for over 3 years and woke up to a serious wound this morning. I'm thinking he maybe got caught by my bubble tip anemone, which is a new addition but it hasn't even opened up fully yet, it has left me perplexed. Just tested the water 2 weeks ago and everything was within parameters. The Goldie recently (1 week ago) came out of quarantine due to an ich outbreak and was fine up until this morning. So....I am lost please help!

image0.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a bacterial infection - likely as a result of the ich. You will want to move to qt and treat with an antibiotic.
Considering it is an anthias, uronema is a possibility but the mark doesn’t look right for that.

OP
OP
unknown_callet

unknown_callet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Thank you. This is my first bacterial infection, in my research I came across the ciliate- uronema as well but was unsure because of the markings weren't as depicted. Would you recommend a Erythromycin treatment or is there something more targeted?

OP
OP
unknown_callet

unknown_callet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a bacterial infection - likely as a result of the ich. You will want to move to qt and treat with an antibiotic.
Considering it is an anthias, uronema is a possibility but the mark doesn’t look right for that.
Ok, Thank you. This is my first bacterial infection, in my research I came across the ciliate- uronema as well but was unsure because of the markings weren't as depicted. Would you recommend a Erythromycin treatment or is there something more targeted?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a goldie for over 3 years and woke up to a serious wound this morning. I'm thinking he maybe got caught by my bubble tip anemone, which is a new addition but it hasn't even opened up fully yet, it has left me perplexed. Just tested the water 2 weeks ago and everything was within parameters. The Goldie recently (1 week ago) came out of quarantine due to an ich outbreak and was fine up until this morning. So....I am lost please help!

image0.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While that species is prone to Uronema, the lesion just doesn’t look like that typically does.

Is there any way it could have gotten injured?

For treatment, the general advice would be to dose it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank. Neoplex is one choice. Given the size of the lesion you light also consider lowering the salinity / specific gravity of the treatment tank to 1.020 - just to help with osmotic balancing.
Jay

OP
OP
unknown_callet

unknown_callet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While that species is prone to Uronema, the lesion just doesn’t look like that typically does.

Is there any way it could have gotten injured?

For treatment, the general advice would be to dose it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank. Neoplex is one choice. Given the size of the lesion you light also consider lowering the salinity / specific gravity of the treatment tank to 1.020 - just to help with osmotic balancing.
Jay
Thank you, I'm glad to be part of the community, I've always came here to help with my tank. It was time to join lol.

There's 3 ways I suspects injury,
-Bacterial- from post ich
-Scratching itself on live rock- ich but there is none visible since I put him back in
-A new BTA, a rather large Rosie, but it hasn't fully opened. Its tucked between rocks but again it was over night.

I'm setting up the quarantine tank again after a good wash from the ich treatment.
Thank you

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh! That looks like some type of burn, especially for the flesh looking that raw, that large & that sudden, I’m going to say an injury. I personally have never seen a parasitic or fungal infection develop that quickly & that large overnight in less than 12 hours, those take a couple of days to start showing their ugly head, starting small & developing into a larger infection in the course of several days. Usually the loss of appetite is a good indicator for that type of infection but that looks more like an injury in my personal experience, I could be wrong. I would definitely QT & like everyone else suggested, lower salinity, decent flow, I have noticed they like swimming against current to sooth the injury, slightly higher temp & like Jay mentioned, a broad spectrum antibiotic to prevent further infection from the injury. The overnight appearance, going from 0 - 100 is what leads me to believe it’s some type of chemical burn, from what? That’s anybodies guess. Good look & speedy recovery to the Goldie. Again, I could be wrong but in my experience is what my eye is able to deduce.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back