need help with macro shots

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
canon 20D, 100mm macro lens.
I'm wanting to just do handheldtop downs. 2 problems. I need a better DOF with handheld but still stable and I'm getting slow shutter speeds. What other info can I provide that may be of help getting better images? Way too much of my image is out of focus.
thanks,
casey
pg-1.jpg

pg-10.jpg

pg-11.jpg

pg-12.jpg

pg-13.jpg

pg-14.jpg

pg-15.jpg

pg-2.jpg

pg-3.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just looking at your info on the pictures.....and the reason you have little to no depth of field.......is b/c your aperture is set to an f/stop of 2.8.....which is really big.

you really need to stop down to around f/9 for macro photography (in Av mode) to get better depth of field. but then you'll get a longer shutter speed........and your ISO is already at 800. longer shutter speeds are not a problem with a tripod normally.

although, when i shoot handheld macros, i usually go into Tv mode, or full Manual mode in order to use the light meter and adjust the shutter speed/ISO/aperture accordingly until i have a good light exposure reading. this is a delicate balance in order to make sure your shutter speed is fast enough you do not get camera shake or movement of the corals causing blurriness, a small enough aperture to get enough DOF, and not too much ISO to cause a grainy picture.

Last edited:

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try setting your ISO higher. Shoot with aperture priority and set aperture to maybe f/8 or f/11. Canons do well at higher ISO's around 800 & 1600.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, I guess I'm expecting too much with just wanting to do handheld. I hate messing with the tripod. I don't mind pushing the ISP to 800 or 1600 as the grain issues don't bother me. And like you said when I go higher than 2.8 my shutter speeds are cruddy. thanks guys. :)

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well with ISO at 800 and F11, its usually around 1/40" shutter speed. The tanks i shoot in have a large eurobrace around the edge, and i can usually rest the top down box on there. If not, take a deep breath, and shoot as you slowly exhale.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back