Need more acros

Georgie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello quick question I have a 180 that’s going to be sps dominated but I need help I want to buy a bunch of sps and Indo like bulk does anyone know a good website or a wholesaler that can help me out ???

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering colonies trans shipped is not for the faint of heart. Losses are heavy, you will have months of acclimation and the costs can get high. This is not impossible, or anything, just not very easy either. livestockusa.org can do this, but be sure and call them so that they can talk you through all of the ins and outs.

Ordering a box of frags from a well-known vendor might be an easier route. A Battlebox from Battlecorals or even picking out your own frags from a well-done hobbyist like Therman is usually a better place to start for most people. When ordering many frags, the prices come down quite a bit and get VERY reasonable.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also caution you to not add too many at once since most people's taste changes in the first few years of keeping acropora. It sucks to have a "full" tank and have to get rid of stuff to make room for your new loves.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good vendor i have used for buying multiples is @BoomCorals. Always have gotten very healthy corals.

Wild frags or colonies are a hit or miss with me. Wild colonies from tonga have had my highest survival rates for me anyway out of the three main collection areas.

Before buying a huge amount id try one wild colony off DD, see if this is a route you want to go. Sucks losing $100 but, far less than losing $1500.

OP
OP
G

Georgie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also caution you to not add too many at once since most people's taste changes in the first few years of keeping acropora. It sucks to have a "full" tank and have to get rid of stuff to make room for your new loves.
I have two tanks the current one a 180 and I have a mix reef a 240 but the 180 I want a pure sps and I’m looking into adding more like maybe 5 each month till I have around 20 or 25 acros

OP
OP
G

Georgie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good vendor i have used for buying multiples is @BoomCorals. Always have gotten very healthy corals.

Wild frags or colonies are a hit or miss with me. Wild colonies from tonga have had my highest survival rates for me anyway out of the three main collection areas.

Before buying a huge amount id try one wild colony off DD, see if this is a route you want to go. Sucks losing $100 but, far less than losing $1500.
From DD what’s there website

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From DD what’s there website
Divers den from live aquaria. They have nice wild corals and have better survival rates than the drop shipments you pick up from the airport.

This is an acelus i ordered from them. They have a rather forgiving refund policy on corals compared to many shops, that only do arrive alive.
Also less chances of random large pests like gorilla crabs this method.

F1ECA76A-040D-403A-9938-7F67A87857DA.jpeg

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ba
Hello quick question I have a 180 that’s going to be sps dominated but I need help I want to buy a bunch of sps and Indo like bulk does anyone know a good website or a wholesaler that can help me out ???
Battlecorals message him he gives good deals and you can tell him what you want and what your trying to do and he will come up with a good package trust me I've gotten 3 orders the last one was a bunch of huge pieces and good price. By the way he has really nice pieces

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den from live aquaria. They have nice wild corals and have better survival rates than the drop shipments you pick up from the airport.

This is an acelus i ordered from them. They have a rather forgiving refund policy on corals compared to many shops, that only do arrive alive.
Also less chances of random large pests like gorilla crabs this method.

F1ECA76A-040D-403A-9938-7F67A87857DA.jpeg

Very true, big perks from ordering from them. Thoes gorilla crabs can really mess up some acros. I ordered from figi right after a hurricane passed through there and there was 2-3 crabs on each colony, guessing from all the nutrients that got lifted up made the crabs go nuts.
Live aquaria is the only place I know of that guarantees the corals longer than just the first day of receiving.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So less than a dkh is fine to maintain a good stability ?
Ordering colonies trans shipped is not for the faint of heart. Losses are heavy, you will have months of acclimation and the costs can get high. This is not impossible, or anything, just not very easy either. livestockusa.org can do this, but be sure and call them so that they can talk you through all of the ins and outs.

Ordering a box of frags from a well-known vendor might be an easier route. A Battlebox from Battlecorals or even picking out your own frags from a well-done hobbyist like Therman is usually a better place to start for most people. When ordering many frags, the prices come down quite a bit and get VERY reasonable.

I got a Battlebox from Adam. I asked for 10 frags and got 12 For $400. I did not specify chunky but several verged on being mini colonies. On corals, I usually lose some. But everything I got from Adam is doing fine. So I highly recommend him.

There are problems with wild colonies and mariculture. You can get all sorts of pests like acro eating flat worms. Also these colonies even if pest free, are not used to aquaculture and they have been stressed by extensive travel. You can do it. But it is a crap shoot. Of course, it can be fun too if you like a challenge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back