Neptune SKY early leak

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this marine depot post on my Facebook feed which linked out to the Neptune website with more info. Looks awesome! I wonder what the price will be. Thoughts?

A3C9DFAB-CE49-4A5B-A877-7E8B94A553D1.png

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here it is at BRS

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of having the a few white lights not being diffused to create shimmer though I fell like 4 channels is sup-par to competing lights.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The shimmer thing is nice. One thing holding me back from panel lights is missing the shimmer from my Reefleds. Will be interesting to see how it actually looks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They look a lot like T5s. Very little shimmer in the setup I saw.

It's definitely a step in the right direction but $870 for a 24*30 (at best) spread is pretty steep. I'm also not a fan of the fans. ATI does it without and Neptune should have as well. Fans fail regularly and are one more maintenance item that aren't needed.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it says "UV enhanced color pop", how?? Uv light isn't visible to human eyes, so how in the world would it enhance color pop??

Ul listed, I searched the ul site and zero results for Neptune systems, but the meanwell driver is listed. So just the power supply must be ul listed.

Greg Carrol posted a picture of the sky mounted to a radion mount on Instagram, but the mount almost completely covers the fans. So the big selling point on the fans is moot if you use the radion mount. But another selling point is using already available mounts, but using those mounts will clearly interfere with fan operation. I don't get it.

I hope this light is head and shoulders above others in performance and spread to make up for the marketing it needs to push out of the gate

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it says "UV enhanced color pop", how?? Uv light isn't visible to human eyes, so how in the world would it enhance color pop??

Ul listed, I searched the ul site and zero results for Neptune systems, but the meanwell driver is listed. So just the power supply must be ul listed.

Greg Carrol posted a picture of the sky mounted to a radion mount on Instagram, but the mount almost completely covers the fans. So the big selling point on the fans is moot if you use the radion mount. But another selling point is using already available mounts, but using those mounts will clearly interfere with fan operation. I don't get it.

I hope this light is head and shoulders above others in performance and spread to make up for the marketing it needs to push out of the gate
That's the old Radion mount and not available. The new Radion mount is open for fans and airflow.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspect over a promo video that doesn't actually show the lights being used.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks promising. I’m guessing a lot of time and testing went into this, since Ecotech has been dominating this area and they want to be a strong competitor. I’m hoping BRS does a par and spectrum video before it’s released. Neptune was smart making the spread wider than Radions. It won’t help Neptune in the 48in and under category. But for 60in and bigger it works, you could end up buying one less light. I’m looking at getting 4 xr15 for a 60in mixed tank which would be about the same cost as 2 Skys and same wattage.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen anything about it being controllable without apex. I know it is connected via aquabus cable, but does anyone know if it can be run stand alone?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, the Gen 5 Radions left me with a really bad first impression (cracking and LOUD fans) and I can’t say I would be opposed to trying something else. Not sure I’d shell out $870/ea to Neptune though. If the build quality is equivalent to other modules of late, looking at you trident, these will be plastic junk.

Very curious to see the PAR tests. 200w rating but with a built in diffuser. So wattage is the same as XR30s but I’d expect these to have 10-15% less PAR off the bat and considering wider spread probably even less. Yet they are stating 3 units for a 72” tank. Would be awesome if that were the case. Finding I need 4x XR30 for a 72”

UV causes certain corals to fluoresce, noticeable difference in running with and without UV channels on Radions.

But for 60in and bigger it works, you could end up buying one less light. I’m looking at getting 4 xr15 for a 60in mixed tank which would be about the same cost as 2 Skys and same wattage.

60” tank is pushing it for 4 XR15s depending on what you’re keeping. I’d say it’s almost territory for 3x XR30 on the contrary 2x of these Sky lights seem to be right in line.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back