Neptune SKY LED

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the latest BRS video, mentioned that the Sky was designed to "beat" their "tests." It was admitted that the Sky did just that.... So, take that as you might, but Sky sound likes best new T5 replacement is my guess in terms of spread and even par... Which is kinda evident from the pictures--flat and even and nice looking... Still curious about penetration in deep tank.

At the end of the day, it makes the tank look like you have T5s. When i saw the tank in orlando, it was not impressive. The only way you could tell it was LEDs and not t5s was the LED color pop, but still lacked any meaningful shimmer that would make it look like a piece of a reef. But they delivered on their promise. The light gives you the illumination of the Sky. They just left out the Sun, but they never promised that. And thats whats missing. And the manufacturers states they need to be replaced every 5 years, but only has a year warranty.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, it makes the tank look like you have T5s. When i saw the tank in orlando, it was not impressive. The only way you could tell it was LEDs and not t5s was the LED color pop, but still lacked any meaningful shimmer that would make it look like a piece of a reef. But they delivered on their promise. The light gives you the illumination of the Sky. They just left out the Sun, but they never promised that. And thats whats missing. And the manufacturers states they need to be replaced every 5 years, but only has a year warranty.
I'm not a fan of the T5 look either, but some people swear it's the best lighting for coral growth. However, if you want to tune the spectrum with T5's you have to experiment with bulb combos.

I love the look of halides and shimmer is awesome IMO, but the heat they kick off and the need to replace bulbs and augment with actinics puts me off. Shimmer also means you're going to have shadowing which destroys your options for coral placement.

LEDs probably won't need to be replaced every 5 years. That has to be overly conservative. They should last far longer and the spectrum doesn't shift as much as other lights. They're relatively quiet. They are programmable in ways no other light source can match.

What I'm hearing about SKY is they've tried to eliminate the weaknesses of other light sources yet build on their strengths. The only thing I have yet to see are PAR readings, spectrum, and I'm particularly interested in the user interface.

One of these days I'll venture off the forum and find out who's tested this and what they're saying.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I supplement my radion gen4 pros with Kessil spots as I find the former kind of flat. May be a good approach for the SKY. Mostly out of the early adopter game these days so plenty of time to get a good sense as sky gets rolled out.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo....an after- market plate w/ more " holes".
Nothing stopping people from drilling more holes. The apparently have the caps.
Really gotta love the too much / too little caustic lines thing.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the T5 look either, but some people swear it's the best lighting for coral growth. However, if you want to tune the spectrum with T5's you have to experiment with bulb combos.

I love the look of halides and shimmer is awesome IMO, but the heat they kick off and the need to replace bulbs and augment with actinics puts me off. Shimmer also means you're going to have shadowing which destroys your options for coral placement.

LEDs probably won't need to be replaced every 5 years. That has to be overly conservative. They should last far longer and the spectrum doesn't shift as much as other lights. They're relatively quiet. They are programmable in ways no other light source can match.

What I'm hearing about SKY is they've tried to eliminate the weaknesses of other light sources yet build on their strengths. The only thing I have yet to see are PAR readings, spectrum, and I'm particularly interested in the user interface.

One of these days I'll venture off the forum and find out who's tested this and what they're saying.

The only thing they missed the ball on is that shimmer that makes it look like a piece of the reef. If they had just put a small cluster of white LEDs that were not going through a diffuser, there would probably be no debate, and no compromise. Im sure the lights will work fine, but most of my tanks have lighting solutions that grow coral, dont shadow, have the correct spectrum, plenty of PAR and have the shimmer you would see over a reef in the ocean without looking like a disco ball . The Sky doesnt check that last box, so its inferior to solutions that are already out there. Specific examples of what i currently have over two 4 ft tanks, 2 Kessil 360s and 4 T5 Blue Plus and Coral Plus, and on the other 4 G3 Radion XR15 Pros with diffusers (because Radions still provide shimmer through the diffusers)

Ive grown coral under halides, t5, T5 halide, AI, Radion, Kessil, Kessil T5, and they all do just fine growing coral. Adjustability is the biggest joke. I appreciate Kessil for tanking that out of your hands, and now, Ecotech has kind of done the same thing with the G5s. Program a spectrum into the light that works to grow coral and allow for adjustment of intensity. I know it may be what some people want, but thats because they dont know any better, or just want a toy to play with.

After seeing it in person, i wouldnt buy the Sky, because i wouldnt want to downgrade how my tanks look.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I supplement my radion gen4 pros with Kessil spots as I find the former kind of flat. May be a good approach for the SKY. Mostly out of the early adopter game these days so plenty of time to get a good sense as sky gets rolled out.

So..... the Sky is just another light that needs to be supplemented to make a tank look good.

Sorry, but there is nothing innovative about this light, and its not great just because someone who works for the company, or someone who wants to sell a bunch of them says so.

BTW, i agree with your method. The biggest difference is both Ecotech and Kessil have an extensive record of success and durability.

So when the Radion G6 comes out , all they need to do is give them to some folks with YouTube channels, and have them use the phrase “game changer” a lot.

Pscha4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing they missed the ball on is that shimmer that makes it look like a piece of the reef. If they had just put a small cluster of white LEDs that were not going through a diffuser, there would probably be no debate, and no compromise. Im sure the lights will work fine, but most of my tanks have lighting solutions that grow coral, dont shadow, have the correct spectrum, plenty of PAR and have the shimmer you would see over a reef in the ocean without looking like a disco ball . The Sky doesnt check that last box, so its inferior to solutions that are already out there. Specific examples of what i currently have over two 4 ft tanks, 2 Kessil 360s and 4 T5 Blue Plus and Coral Plus, and on the other 4 G3 Radion XR15 Pros with diffusers (because Radions still provide shimmer through the diffusers)

Ive grown coral under halides, t5, T5 halide, AI, Radion, Kessil, Kessil T5, and they all do just fine growing coral. Adjustability is the biggest joke. I appreciate Kessil for tanking that out of your hands, and now, Ecotech has kind of done the same thing with the G5s. Program a spectrum into the light that works to grow coral and allow for adjustment of intensity. I know it may be what some people want, but thats because they dont know any better, or just want a toy to play with.

After seeing it in person, i wouldnt buy the Sky, because i wouldnt want to downgrade how my tanks look.
I have only seen the new SKY’s on you-tube video. However, the reefers that are testing these out have commented on the shimmer through a diffuser that has an opening for white LED’s and the ability to adjust to basically no shimmer with a diffuser that does not have the opening. Are you saying there is no shimmer or just not enough for your liking?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seen the new SKY’s on you-tube video. However, the reefers that are testing these out have commented on the shimmer through a diffuser that has an opening for white LED’s and the ability to adjust to basically no shimmer with a diffuser that does not have the opening. Are you saying there is no shimmer or just not enough for your liking?
Even when pointed out in videos, i cant see shimmer, its that slight... the shimmer is caused by holes in the diffuser panel. Maybe you can drill more holes?

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive seen it in person at their display at RAP. Its got some if you stand close to the tank. But if you stand back from the tank, you wont see it. It doesn't look bad, but there are so many other options that look better, and better by a lot. You tubers will love this light for no other reason than it has a mode where you wont need a filter to film the tank.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do question whether the Sky is going to penetrate 30 inches say as well as halides, or the Kessil 500's, however, which can utilize lens designed to do just that....
In my 32" deep tank, I think they penetrate just fine, they grow acro colonies from accident frags on the sand. 96x32x32 with four lights.

It looks like the gen 4 Radion brackets almost completely cover the fans.

Is this going to be an issue as far as cooling is concerned?
No, there is some space under and around the fans. This has been tested. Only in the most brutal environment inside a closed hood would the thermal management system possibly kick up the fans to their highest RPM.

I soooo love the idea of those narrow reflectors you can use with the Kessils. On or just below ceiling mount, possibly recessed....

I need the tank lit. I don't need to see the fixtures.
I totally agree with wanting the holy grail of a open-top tank with no fixtures seen. The Kessil can do that in some locations and configurations. The only drawback is you must be in love with the all the erratic and strong caustic lines. Some prefer more shimmer than the SKY, no doubt, but in that lensed version of the A500, the shadowing, contrast, and shimmer is pretty off the chart, but for some that will be their desire no doubt

Well, the latest BRS video, mentioned that the Sky was designed to "beat" their "tests." It was admitted that the Sky did just that.... So, take that as you might, but Sky sound likes best new T5 replacement is my guess in terms of spread and even par... Which is kinda evident from the pictures--flat and even and nice looking... Still curious about penetration in deep tank.
See above, growing acro colonies on my sandbed. NSI members with deep tanks loving it.

And the manufacturers states they need to be replaced every 5 years, but only has a year warranty.
I don't know where we may have said that in print so please let me know so I can clear up the verbiage. I have verbalized to some that most people will change out their lighting within 5 years - whatever lighting they choose. And, nearly all LED will degrade about 20% or so under normal conditions. Some LED with inadequate cooling will degrade or fail faster.

Even when pointed out in videos, i cant see shimmer, its that slight... the shimmer is caused by holes in the diffuser panel. Maybe you can drill more holes?
I guess one could drill more holes - or we could and offer more shimz in the fixture at some point. However, I will say that due to the refresh rate of video, the shimmer effect on all lights is not shown as it is seen to the human eye in person. To my eye, the SKY has more shimmer than diffused G5 that do not have openings for non-diffused light.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to add. We have people testing adding the smallest of Kessil along with the SKY to get more of the shimmer they may desire. This is likely a much easier "hybrid" approach than trying to use single point lights and using T5 to get the even coverage needed on a tank. Expect to see more of this approach very soon on tanks out there with the SKY.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you can't win either way, I've seen people moan that certain lights have too much shimmer or even just shimmer in general then others in the camp of not enough shimmer. Funny how us humans are so vocal when it's something we do not like but tend to be less so when we are happy with something.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 32" deep tank, I think they penetrate just fine, they grow acro colonies from accident frags on the sand. 96x32x32 with four lights.

No, there is some space under and around the fans. This has been tested. Only in the most brutal environment inside a closed hood would the thermal management system possibly kick up the fans to their highest RPM.

No, better penetration really. Slightly better with un-diffused G5, but then you get the "static-TV-on-the-sand" look.

I totally agree with wanting the holy grail of a open-top tank with no fixtures seen. The Kessil can do that in some locations and configurations. The only drawback is you must be in love with the all the erratic and strong caustic lines. Some prefer more shimmer than the SKY, no doubt, but in that lensed version of the A500, the shadowing, contrast, and shimmer is pretty off the chart, but for some that will be their desire no doubt

See above, growing acro colonies on my sandbed. NSI members with deep tanks loving it.

I don't know where we may have said that in print so please let me know so I can clear up the verbiage. I have verbalized to some that most people will change out their lighting within 5 years - whatever lighting they choose. And, nearly all LED will degrade about 20% or so under normal conditions. Some LED with inadequate cooling will degrade or fail faster.

I guess one could drill more holes - or we could and offer more shimz in the fixture at some point. However, I will say that due to the refresh rate of video, the shimmer effect on all lights is not shown as it is seen to the human eye in person. To my eye, the SKY has more shimmer than diffused G5 that do not have openings for non-diffused light.

Thanks for the reply. This is a nice light no doubt and seems as economic as any light, including T5's when factoring in the number of lights needed for coverage on larger tanks. If Neptune continues to make products not reliant on the Apex, and that play nicely with other brands, when my T5's go the way of the dodo, I'll definitely be considering these.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems you can't win either way, I've seen people moan that certain lights have too much shimmer or even just shimmer in general then others in the camp of not enough shimmer. Funny how us humans are so vocal when it's something we do not like but tend to be less so when we are happy with something.

THIS!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a ceiling mount now. Kessils 500's (and some 360's) recessed 30 plus inches up with narrow 35 degreee reflectors. However, a 60 inch ATI T5 fixture is surrounded by the T5's and raises and lowers on an remote controlled window blind motor. The T5's can be run flush with the ceiling or lowered near the tank. The ultimate goal is all lighting to be recessed all of the time. This mount allows this, but if the T5 light spill is too much when running from the ceiling then i can lower the T5's part of the day when i am gone and then raise them and turn them off for viewing under the kessils when home.

Just saying because I can switch out the T5 fixure pretty easy, later, say for Skys..... especially a version can be ceiling mounted.... Just saying, hint hint, lol!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a ceiling mount now. Kessils 500's (and some 360's) recessed 30 plus inches up with narrow 35 degreee reflectors. However, a 60 inch ATI T5 fixture is surrounded by the T5's and raises and lowers on an remote controlled window blind motor. The T5's can be run flush with the ceiling or lowered near the tank. The ultimate goal is all lighting to be recessed all of the time. This mount allows this, but if the T5 light spill is too much when running from the ceiling then i can lower the T5's part of the day when i am gone and then raise them and turn them off for viewing under the kessils when home.

Just saying because I can switch out the T5 fixure pretty easy, later, say for Skys..... especially a version can be ceiling mounted.... Just saying, hint hint, lol!
Just use Orphek Amazonias..
15 degree reflectors.

Hang it 8ft up.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Except for something like narrow beam single chip style LED, there will be far too much spillage. Tons of wasted energy and/or a lot of stray light.

As I said, my opinion, for an open top tank, this is the holy grail. As such, just as elusive. With a canopy or in-wall, much more is possible.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Orphek Amazonias..
15 degree reflectors.

Hang it 8ft up.

Definitely an option it seems looking at the website. I have considered just going pure Kessil 500's/360's, but as Terrance politely pointed out, the shimmer would be extreme unless, maybe, i had a lot of them.

So more looking for a panel light to mix in with the Kessil 500's/360's, which dull the shimmer while adding coverage.

I guess i could just use a ton of kessil 500's/360's or Orpheks with narrow reflectors. I have a few kessil 360x's too and will test their par at 30 plus inches with narrow reflectors. A herd of those may be the ticket, supply the par in total with less shimmer since so many of them.

The last factor, though, is that i am pretty partial to T5's--used them since the 2000's... They just work, i think are better than LEDs of any kind, and i like the look a lot.

Skys appear to mimic T5's pretty well (with added pop and some shimmer) from what i can tell--so that is what is attracting me to it--instead of pure spot light approach (kessil or orphic amazonains)

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for something like narrow beam single chip style LED, there will be far too much spillage. Tons of wasted energy and/or a lot of stray light.

As I said, my opinion, for an open top tank, this is the holy grail. As such, just as elusive. With a canopy or in-wall, much more is possible.

Well, looks like Neptune has a challenge ahead of it... I am sure you are "can do--nothing impossible type person and company..."!

Don't get me wrong, i like the Sky. But it's not really truely revolutionary or innovative; rather, it just does what LED's were supposed to from the get go--provide as good of light a T5's in a sleek, simpler, package...

If Neptune could reach the holy grail as you say--and create a panel light that can be mounted in the ceiling--then you'd truly be surpassing the competition! (And, FYI, yes spillage of light is bad if it impacts viewability--but i could careless about wasted energy or being "efficient" (there is nothing efficient about a reef tank--they use a lot of energy no matter what and a bit more is of little consequence at all)).

Why not just a ton of narrow beam single chip LEDs in a panel--i mean so many it turns into a wall of light just going straight down? Probably expensive, but so what.... i'd buy one!

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back