Neptune SKY LED

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is as well. Especially for us braced tanks. I don't have a lot of SPS. Most of my corals are doing fine with the three 26 HD that I have. I would love to be able to have the ability to control the lights with all of my other Neptune gadgets. I just don't want to put three of these lights on my tank. Three smaller ones would be perfect. Right now that's the only thing that would stop me from switching over cuz I'd love the controllability. I don't really like iota. The lights loose connection too easily for some reason so I control the hydras with the my AI app. It would be sweet to also be able to control the lights with my Neptune.. maybe also Neptune skimmer down the line.
They could also make a shimmer kit addition of a supplementary group of LEDs that can add any desired shimmer, then it doesn't have to be purchased if people are happy with the light as is. Maybe it could be a clip on kit that can sit around the side of the unit or attached to the mounting screws either end and maybe positionable. Just a thought

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software and quick photo settings on the Sky are a selling point. Other lights could have better software.

I was just taking another look at ATI Stratons. Even more slim than the Sky. Anyone know how the LEDs compare between the Sky and Straton?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I had seen a post from @Dana Riddle that he got his hands on a Neptune SKY for testing. I'm not going to ditch my Orpheks but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SKY performs. Being able to control through an Apex is a huge benefit.

Does anyone recall seeing anything about this?
Yes, I have two SKY LED luminaires and they are over my 120 reboot. I've got test results but writing reports always takes some time.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a large Ferris wheel with LEDs on each seat (year).
Hold fast, so you don't fall down!
I've never saw so much hype for a plastic panel.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software and quick photo settings on the Sky are a selling point. Other lights could have better software.

I was just taking another look at ATI Stratons. Even more slim than the Sky. Anyone know how the LEDs compare between the Sky and Straton?
That's what I am waiting for... A comparison between SKY and Straton. I watched the whole BRS episode, no mention of Straton even though they sell them as well. I suspect even they can not get their hands on a Straton...

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am waiting for... A comparison between SKY and Straton. I watched the whole BRS episode, no mention of Straton even though they sell them as well. I suspect even they can not get their hands on a Straton...

The Straton is facially more attractive me for a couple reasons:

1. Who could make a better T5 replacement other than ATI???!!!
2. Much slimmer and very quality aluminum body--not plastic like the Sky as another pointed out...
3. The aluminum body is also the heat sink--meaning no fans--yet also it's very light unlike the Phillips...
4. Straton tells you what the LED spectrum from their diodes and does not keep secret that information.. Why would Sky do that?? Makes me less likely to buy not more...
5. Straton is more expensive by a couple hundred dollars--but if you're spending $900 for light--you'll spend $1,100.00 for a light too, especially if made better made, silent, with no moving parts to wear out.

That said, i want a nice comparison... Sky is apparently using nice diodes and going to have nice software and usability, including easy photo taking, which is simple it would seem to do (but many manufactures don't!) and no peanuts.

No doubt BRS would favor Neptune products--they sell a ton of them--that's only common sense... Up to users to filter perceived bias out...

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no dog in this fight, but I'm disappointed in the overzealous removal of posts leveling fair criticisms. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. ..."

The SKY fixture looks nice though, is it fully controllable without an apex? I also appreciate @Terence replies, I too wish their was an option for "invisible" lighting for a rimless tank but that seems impractical at this point.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no dog in this fight, but I'm disappointed in the overzealous removal of posts leveling fair criticisms. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. ..."

The SKY fixture looks nice though, is it fully controllable without an apex? I also appreciate @Terence replies, I too wish their was an option for "invisible" lighting for a rimless tank but that seems impossible at this point.

I feel like the concept of invisible lighting is just unrealistic. Either you have something extremely high powered with such a narrow optic that it is hung or recessed in the ceiling, in which case it would look like a tractor beam, or you put the lights where they’re visible. One cannot have their cake and eat it too. The super high mounted narrow beam will have too little scatter. Shadows would be too hard for any branching corals at all. Even coralites would shade other coralites under that situation.

The only other option is seeing the luminaire. In which case the only real choice there is how big is too big? Some people think anything outside of salt shaker size is too big, some are ok with a light fixture the size of the tank itself.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the concept of invisible lighting is just unrealistic. Either you have something extremely high powered with such a narrow optic that it is hung or recessed in the ceiling, in which case it would look like a tractor beam, or you put the lights where they’re visible. One cannot have their cake and eat it too. The super high mounted narrow beam will have too little scatter. Shadows would be too hard for any branching corals at all. Even coralites would shade other coralites under that situation.

The only other option is seeing the luminaire. In which case the only real choice there is how big is too big? Some people think anything outside of salt shaker size is too big, some are ok with a light fixture the size of the tank itself.

I agree. I wish I could see no light fixture above my rimless tank but I think that's unrealistic. Maybe someday.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I wish I could see no light fixture above my rimless tank but I think that's unrealistic. Maybe someday.

Lol my desire is even more unrealistic. A tank in which sps corals are suspended
Mid-water and illuminated from not only the top, but from the sides or even the bottom a-la algae turf scrubber style

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The SKY fixture looks nice though, is it fully controllable without an apex? I also appreciate @Terence replies, I too wish their was an option for "invisible" lighting for a rimless tank but that seems impossible at this point.

Actually think the physics favors higher lights and narrower angles but need a bit of proof.
Well if one listened to jda he stated the best led tanks run lights high and of course full.
Higher up and more light us running perpendicular but full surface coverage.

Don't think it is unrealistic at all...just not common.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually think the physics favors higher lights and narrower angles but need a bit of proof.

Well if one listened to jda he stated the best led tanks run lights high and of course full.

I am more referring to the idea of a kessil type dense matrix array, with a 20 degree reflector hung 6 feet off the water

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uncommon is better phrasing than unrealistic. It's not impossible but not readily available off the shelf.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncommon is better phrasing than unrealistic. It's not impossible but not readily available off the shelf.
Right..
I am more referring to the idea of a kessil type dense matrix array, with a 20 degree reflector hung 6 feet off the water
Just use these and a tighter Angela. :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right..

Just use these and a tighter Angela. :)

I’m familiar with that product. Looks good to go under certain applications. I fall into category B (don’t care how big a fixture is, and I use a 16” tall canopy to get my lights elevated plenty high up for better color blending. My lights are neither the latest nor the greatest. But they get the job done

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no dog in this fight, but I'm disappointed in the overzealous removal of posts leveling fair criticisms.
There's a balance there. It's their forum, remember though and their rules. Keeping the thread from derailing is a worthy goal and Reef Central died because of people being mean and out of line. Owners of companies aren't likely to be offended, but people may not visit Reef2reef if its just garbage posts.

That said, i tend to agree that the best way to discuss any product fairly is without censorship.

No doubt that pointing out BRS's long relationship with Neptune and high sales #'s of their products is fair commentary when BRS posts videos of an unreleased product that promotes the Sky.

The SKY fixture looks nice though, is it fully controllable without an apex?

Bluetooth no WIFI.

I also appreciate @Terence replies

Me too!

I too wish their was an option for "invisible" lighting for a rimless tank but that seems impossible at this point.

Totally possible, just more expensive, and you have do some digging. Kessil has a display tank in its office with essentially 360's with 12 degree (Felix) brand reflectors. That light will get four feet from the surface and is available for $1200 each i believe. Youll need multiple. You could do x500's (or 360's) with 35 degree reflectors for 25 inches away. I asked kessil about 500x's witj 12 degree reflectors and theyre looking into it. Plus, other guys are suggesting other ways to do it! :)

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a balance there. It's their forum, remember though and their rules. Keeping the thread from derailing is a worthy goal and Reef Central died because of people being mean and out of line. Owners of companies aren't likely to be offended, but people may not visit Reef2reef if its just garbage posts.

That said, i tend to agree that the best way to discuss any product fairly is without censorship.

No doubt that pointing out BRS's long relationship with Neptune and high sales #'s of their products is fair commentary when BRS posts videos of an unreleased product that promotes the Sky.

Bluetooth no WIFI.

Me too!

Totally possible, just more expensive, and you have do some digging. Kessil has a display tank in its office with essentially 360's with 12 degree (Felix) brand reflectors. That light will get four feet from the surface and is available for $1200 each i believe. Youll need multiple. You could do x500's (or 360's) with 35 degree reflectors for 25 inches away. I asked kessil about 500x's witj 12 degree reflectors and theyre looking into it. Plus, other guys are suggesting other ways to do it! :)

I agree there's no room for name calling and personal attacks. But if its a discussion thread then all sides should be able to discuss (respectfully), otherwise it's just a hype thread. I know this site makes money from these companies so it's a fine line, disclosure is important though.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, people should be suspicious of commercial bias. In this case, BRS’s perceived affinity for Neptune. But people should also be suspicious of their own biases. We can’t just lean on professionals and accept their feedback when it confirms our own beliefs. There might be legit reasons that we have to be open to or it’s just all hocus pocus and we’re just cherry pickin’.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back