Neptune SKY LED

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have 3 kessils and 2 400watt halides but it would blind those sitting on the couch, you could feel the heat from 3-4 feet away

This just made me giggle... lol... But gets the point across about which lighting is more like the sun...

Totally agree LED's have plus sides with small form factor and less heat (usually). My frag tank and coral qt are pure led for this reason... My nano is too... But that is about to be switched out for a 50 gallon because the corals have out grown it.

Having run both LEDs and t5's--i will say that for my main displays--i just bought to two chillers on sale at marine depot...

For main displays of any size past 40-50 gallons, I think i prefer to have idiot proof lighting that grows better and bigger and faster. I'll just run a chiller and install a canopy or hood... Lighting is then just one less factor to worry about...

The main reason is stability. Big growth i think means healthier coral. Growing quickly seems to soak up nutrients quicker and less algae issues. T5's definitely gets corals to size quicker and then pests and disease are less of issues--big growing corals survive most anything--but slow growing frags do not.... And when the corals grow quickly you can frag for back ups.... I have some corals under LEDs that just don't grow or grow super slow, while others grow great.. LEDs have been weird like that for me.... The same corals under t5's thrive... so i like the simplicity of something that works...

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no skin in this light game as I can’t afford any of this but if I could, I would buy the Phillips Coral Care. I’ve seen some amazing growth in tanks using them. I wonder if there is any tech in the Sky that was ripped off of the Phillips. They look very similar. And the mount, ETM can’t be too happy about that.

I’ve always believed it’s best to buy a product from a company that specializes in said product. Not that my two cents means anything.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no skin in this light game as I can’t afford any of this but if I could, I would buy the Phillips Coral Care. I’ve seen some amazing growth in tanks using them. I wonder if there is any tech in the Sky that was ripped off of the Phillips. They look very similar. And the mount, ETM can’t be too happy about that.

I’ve always believed it’s best to buy a product from a company that specializes in said product. Not that my two cents means anything.
I think it's safe to say the phillips light and the sky have very similar LED's... (from phillips both). The sky being a lighter active cooling fan system. . My buddy has the phillips and they are very heavy. Can't remember if they had fans or not, but they are beastly lights.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's safe to say the phillips light and the sky have very similar LED's... (from phillips both). The sky being a lighter active cooling fan system. . My buddy has the phillips and they are very heavy. Can't remember if they had fans or not, but they are beastly lights.

There are no fans in the CC2, the size is what allows the fanless cooling.

Last edited:

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree about the options. Although I don’t have a big issue with the heat or fixture size.
I have the reefbrites mh hybrids and I think they look amazing but I could see the old ones looks a bit bulky

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just made me giggle... lol... But gets the point across about which lighting is more like the sun...

Totally agree LED's have plus sides with small form factor and less heat (usually). My frag tank and coral qt are pure led for this reason... My nano is too... But that is about to be switched out for a 50 gallon because the corals have out grown it.

Having run both LEDs and t5's--i will say that for my main displays--i just bought to two chillers on sale at marine depot...

For main displays of any size past 40-50 gallons, I think i prefer to have idiot proof lighting that grows better and bigger and faster. I'll just run a chiller and install a canopy or hood... Lighting is then just one less factor to worry about...

The main reason is stability. Big growth i think means healthier coral. Growing quickly seems to soak up nutrients quicker and less algae issues. T5's definitely gets corals to size quicker and then pests and disease are less of issues--big growing corals survive most anything--but slow growing frags do not.... And when the corals grow quickly you can frag for back ups.... I have some corals under LEDs that just don't grow or grow super slow, while others grow great.. LEDs have been weird like that for me.... The same corals under t5's thrive... so i like the simplicity of something that works...
The very best artificial light to approach the results we can have under sunlight is using metal halides as the primary source of light. That is why metal halide is the first choice for biologists. Health of the coral with symbionts depends heavily on the light they receive in closed systems. Too bad those scientists from public aquariums don't publish their findings about their research. Many are now changing back to halides over their exhibits! Long term also told Sanjay Joshi that halides would be the best choice for his system. I'm not sue why he didn't go back to his 3 X 400W halides yet.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They said they weren’t giving them away free.... that’s a very generous answer for them. They “traded” them in exchange for his infomercial. :)

Marc has definitely contributed much to this hobby for free so I can’t really fault him for cashing in on that now!

and those sky’s actually look pretty interesting to me, compared to other LEDs.

I've heard you get about a 50% discount in the Neptune NSI.

Marc is an old-school reefer and he tends to stick to his tried and trusted equipment even if they are old.

He was happy with his old skimmer until he got the Nyos to review just like he was happy with his halides until he got a Sky to review.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they weren’t giving them away free.... that’s a very generous answer for them. They “traded” them in exchange for his infomercial. :)

Marc has definitely contributed much to this hobby for free so I can’t really fault him for cashing in on that now!

and those sky’s actually look pretty interesting to me, compared to other LEDs.
Would be great if I could get some LED gear for free to try here and make some nice video about it. LOL! I would be true doing my review though. I don't think many LED companies would trust the performance of their fixtures enough to allow me to analise the results of their products, comparing to what I get out of my halide/T5s here. LOL! Oh well...

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great if I could get some LED gear for free to try here and make some nice video about it. LOL! I would be true doing my review though. I don't think many LED companies would trust the performance of their fixtures enough to allow me to analise the results of their products, comparing to what I get out of my halide/T5s here. LOL! Oh well...
I just find it hard to beleave that he is getting the same coverage and what not from them vs his old mh setup

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it hard to beleave that he is getting the same coverage and what not from them vs his old mh setup
I know.. I told him he will need more fixtures just to try to get the same results from those halides. He agreed at first, than after he said maybe 3 would be enough.

400BA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no fans in the CC2, the size is what allows the fanless cooling. It’ll be funny if they took something from Phillips. Pretty dumb to poke a giant world-wide tech company. Time will tell. Again, just my mind wandering.
I wouldn't be surprised if Neptune partnered with Philips on this and is sourcing their LEDs from them. In fact, it would surprise me if they didn't given Terrence's admiration of them.

It just makes sense from a business standpoint. Neptune is ultimately about building tank controllers and expanding on that through multiple channels. They are not an LED manufacturing company, while Philips is.

Insource what you are good at. Outsource what you are not good at.

Great conversation here, everybody!

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't confirmed that he actually got those fixtures for free, or got a discount. I asked 3 times and he didn't answer. The common sense of some of the people in the comments said that if the fixture wasn't available for purchase he must have gotten them for free. No one can affirm if that is indeed the case though.
Maybe I shouldn't use the word "sponsored", cause that would impose that he really got them for free. In that other video Neptune Systems say they "aren't giving the fixtures for free". So...
Marc was sold to the idea. He told me he just want to try something different.
I should say my main problem isn't with customers, but with the companies comparing their LEDs to halides and T5s and they are "better" to sell. That is miss information! They should compare their LEDs with other LEDs.
Marc is a very nice guy and I know him for so many years from back in the day before Youtube channels!! The video has a strong tendency to prove what people have suggested. He still didn't answer my questions in regards to getting it for free. If so, nothing can be done about that. At least he didn't spend the money! Ha!
If you are testing spectrum and par, does the source really matter? Is there something else that can be measured that matters that is different from a bulb or a diode? asking because I really don't know...

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the post was quickly taken down b/c he accidently broke nda.

Unless ppl are reporting crazy things like 500% increased coral growth.... there is no way I'm plopping down $900 a light.

I would require 3 lights, so there's no way I'm paying $2,700 for subtle improvements and connectivity with my Apex

There's gotta be a point where smthg is just stupid money

What's next for Neptune? Actual fish and coral that can connect to a Apex to monitor their behavior with chip implants?

Stupid People GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless ppl are reporting crazy things like 500% increased coral growth.... there is no way I'm plopping down $900 a light.

There's gotta be a point where smthg is just stupid money

Stupid People GIF by memecandy
there's a sea of newbies in this hobby with more money than sense. It's not just this light, its all of the big name lights in this "premium" price range. When the budget option offers 85% of the premium offering, and the premium offering is 4-6x the cost of the budget option....... the consumer is getting fleaced.

Anyone in the hobby a while knows the "premium" led fixture is the proverbial Golden Goose in aquarium equipment manufacturing. 3 figure mark ups, and neptune outsourced the vast majority of the research portion of their research and development by writing a check over to Phillips.

Great business strategy if they sell well. But it will be a cold day in hell before I pay these prices for lighting.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark was excited to get these new lights, that’s the whole point of a hobby isn’t it? I don’t like the lights due to cost, lack of shimmer personally but that’s not the point. Yes, they have used him but my gaffer uses me every day. Chill.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are testing spectrum and par, does the source really matter? Is there something else that can be measured that matters that is different from a bulb or a diode? asking because I really don't know...
There is. Unfortunately people only look into only what papers can translate. Numbers and graphics have limitations to express spectrum. Problem is that no one can explain on paper what are exactly and why the "gaps" of spectrum from LEDs don't show in those graphics. My explanation to that is simply because the sensos from spectrometers can't capture the "real thing" and will express what they are made for: to provide somehow a connected graphic. We can testify the differences between the lights practically though. When comparing to the sunlight over the reef in nature we see why halides is the king of artificial lights. Corals were supposed to be illuminated by the sun. Halides are the closest we can get to that in terms of physical application for their metabolism. Shimmer, penetration, deliver of photons, reflection abilities and spectrum blending and action (matrix) are some of the great qualities halides have that no other light source can substitute, except for the real deal: the sun.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark was excited to get these new lights, that’s the whole point of a hobby isn’t it? I don’t like the lights due to cost, lack of shimmer personally but that’s not the point. Yes, they have used him but my gaffer uses me every day. Chill.
Well it kind of is the point for the price your paying I would really like to hear his Honest honest thoughts on them and if he’s glad and happy with the change

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is. Unfortunately people only look into only what papers can translate. Numbers and graphics have limitations to express spectrum. Problem is that no one can explain on paper what are exactly and why the "gaps" of spectrum from LEDs don't show in those graphics. My explanation to that is simply because the sensos from spectrometers can't capture the "real thing" and will express what they are made for: to provide somehow a connected graphic. We can testify the differences between the lights practically though. When comparing to the sunlight over the reef in nature we see why halides is the king of artificial lights. Corals were supposed to be illuminated by the sun. Halides are the closest we can get to that in terms of physical application for their metabolism. Shimmer, penetration, deliver of photons, reflection abilities and spectrum blending and action (matrix) are some of the great qualities halides have that no other light source can substitute, except for the real deal: the sun.
I dont understand... how do you test the gaps in spectrum missing from LEDs if not with a spectrometer?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do not have analytics on anything except for pricing, power, LED count. Pricing is in line with other 200 W leds:

SKY: $870 (219 W, 104 LEDs)
Orphek: $770 (160 W, 42 LEDs) to $1100 (210 W, 78 LEDs)
XR30: $840 (205-215W, 102 LEDs)
Kessil a500x: $740 (185 W, 100 LEDs)
CC: $900 (170 W, 68 LEDs)
GHL: $820 (195 W, 72 LEDs)

Everything else is speculation until we see the #’s. The only place that has given a consistent data set of data on a broad set of lights is BRS... so that is the video I am looking forward too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back