New A80 Kessil

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an A80 Tuna Blue Kessil on my 16 gal Bio Cube. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for programming the lighting schedule? What would be best for my Corals - Softies and LPS?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run it at full intensity (blues at 100%, whites as high as you can stand aesthetically). The A80 is only 15 watts, it doesn’t have much power (IMO, they’re more appropriate for tanks around 5g or refugiums, but people do use them on larger tanks). You’ll be able to keep some softies and LPS, but anything needing higher light and you’ll either need to upgrade or add a second.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a spectral controller to use with it? Or is it on a basic timer? With just this light on its own, then I like 20% to 50% color (or whatever you prefer, as Kessil logic prevents you from messing up the spectrum) and 100% intensity. You’ll want a peak time of 8 to 10hrs, but this will depend on the animals you’ll be keeping? I think the 160 would take you a little further, but you can keep quite a few corals with this light.

OP
OP
kathya0321

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a spectral controller to use with it? Or is it on a basic timer? With just this light on its own, then I like 20% to 50% color (or whatever you prefer, as Kessil logic prevents you from messing up the spectrum) and 100% intensity. You’ll want a peak time of 8 to 10hrs, but this will depend on the animals you’ll be keeping? I think the 160 would take you a little further, but you can keep quite a few corals with this light.
I do have a spectral controller that I use. I run the lights from 9am to 9:30am, that includes ramping up and down. How long do you think would be a good time to run 100%. I have mainly soft and LPS corals.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have a spectral controller that I use. I run the lights from 9am to 9:30am, that includes ramping up and down. How long do you think would be a good time to run 100%. I have mainly soft and LPS corals.
I think 6-8hrs would be fine. You'll have to observe your corals and see how they respond. Just increase intensity or duration by a small amount, then observe for a week or two, then adjust again until you find the happy spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back