New all around the hobby

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. First is “52 weeks of reefing” (lots of info but long and things have changed since it was made). Second video series is “5 minute guide”, shorter, good info

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what I have been looking at is LED, however most of those don't give an average max depth. The only ones I saw that did were the Redsea 160s. Lighting is key for sure but I can see spending 600 a light.
You might consider the reefbreeders photon 48 V2+. You might also be able to get away with the photon 32 V2+. You could also add a T5 hybrid fixture to it to increase par and spread. Maybe @Reef Breeders can make a recommendation as to what is best for your specific tank.

It all depends on what types of corals you are planning to keep, and what your aquascape will look like. I would recommend lighting sufficient for corals all the way up to SPS. Just because someone only wants soft corals when they start up the tank doesn't necessarily mean that they will only have soft corals in the future. So I would say: plan to easily have sufficient lighting for the most light-demanding corals, and you will be fine, as you can always turn down LEDs as needed. Your taste regarding corals will most likely change as you keep a reef tank. If you already have enough light for SPS, when the SPS bug bites you, you will be ready. ;)

Just my $0.02 based off of my own experience with the SPS bug :).

dropoff729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of saltwater, better yet welcome to the world of Reef2Reef! Ree2Reef is the worlds largest saltwater aquarium online platform and an amazing place to dive deep into information and reach out to people in the hobby that could possibly answer your questions!

Another great site to find dedicated reefers is on YouTube! I myself have started to grow my own channel in this past year and have had a lot of fun doing it! My channel could help you out in your introduction to the hobby, and honestly you could pick up some tips and tricks along the way! Hope you get a chance to check it out, and once again welcome to R2R!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A belated welcome and hopes that you are enjoying the resources on R2R

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back