OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I showed the whole tank. I have a mushroom, war coral, palm tree coral, an Acan, and a few zoas in addition to the candy cane. They like low flow which is why it’s at the bottom and it likes moderate to low light so that’s why it’s where it is with my rock scape, gets enough light but is also shaded to not get too much. Lights are 90 Red Sea with white light at 60% and blues at 40%!
So do you recommend I move it back to where it’s under one of the overhangs? I have noticed that it’s a pretty good bit of flow there from the mo10. I was thinking about moving it back some and that will give a bit less light and it will break the flow off of it

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you recommend I move it back to where it’s under one of the overhangs? I have noticed that it’s a pretty good bit of flow there from the mo10. I was thinking about moving it back some and that will give a bit less light and it will break the flow off of it
Yeah try that! Sometimes they take a couple days or so to open and show you they are happy there. I got lucky with that one, he immediately opened up and started growing in a few days where I put him. Just as long as he doesn’t have direct light he should be happy!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah try that! Sometimes they take a couple days or so to open and show you they are happy there. I got lucky with that one, he immediately opened up and started growing in a few days where I put him. Just as long as he doesn’t have direct light he should be happy!
Other corals I had to move around until they were happy before gluing them to thenrock

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other corals I had to move around until they were happy before gluing them to thenrock
He is right in the middle of the tank so that is pretty direct, I did push it back some to break the flow so he wasn’t pounded as bad. Everything else seems to be out and opening up a tiny bit. Do I wanna put it in a “shaded area” ?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is right in the middle of the tank so that is pretty direct, I did push it back some to break the flow so he wasn’t pounded as bad. Everything else seems to be out and opening up a tiny bit. Do I wanna put it in a “shaded area” ?
If he is starting Tom open up (like how mine is) I would leave him and observe for a few days. If he starts to bleach or close up than maybe adjust him

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is starting Tom open up (like how mine is) I would leave him and observe for a few days. If he starts to bleach or close up than maybe adjust him
It’s definitely not opening up yet, but again it’s on been less than 24 hours. I did back him out of the line of fire from power Mira’s and as a general change I turned the mp10 down from 60% to 50%. Looked like the GF two little clove polyps were in a tornado.. lol

also can you tell if the hammer is a branching or wall hammer? This is my first one and I wasn’t there when she got it so I don’t know

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running the stock light I wouldn’t worry about middle of the tank placement as far as light is concerned. All three of my candy cane are above the halfway mark.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely not opening up yet, but again it’s on been less than 24 hours. I did back him out of the line of fire from power Mira’s and as a general change I turned the mp10 down from 60% to 50%. Looked like the GF two little clove polyps were in a tornado.. lol

also can you tell if the hammer is a branching or wall hammer? This is my first one and I wasn’t there when she got it so I don’t know
I unfortunately do not have a hammer coral, I would see if someone else can comment who has one! And rMorris_14 also does have a point about the stock lights in the bio cube. My candy cane is in my Red Sea tank. Only thing I have in my bio cube is a nem which is thriving!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it is still stock
Should be good then as long as the flow isn’t blasting it
B991AB99-39F5-439B-80EE-00230E8F27A7.jpeg
15B0095C-B8B0-48C7-BD2F-737EC7F5676A.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, now that you have added LPS’s you will want to keep an eye on your calcium and ALK levels… if something is off make SMALL adjustments until you get to your desired range. Regular water changes should help with this however, I just found out that even with that, my ALK was below where it should be. LPS and softies tend to do well with N03 around the 20 to 30 range.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, now that you have added LPS’s you will want to keep an eye on your calcium and ALK levels… if something is off make SMALL adjustments until you get to your desired range. Regular water changes should help with this however, I just found out that even with that, my ALK was below where it should be. LPS and softies tend to do well with N03 around the 20 to 30 range.
I’m about to order a calcium checker as a matter of fact, lol. I have Hanna alk checker already. For the last few months I’ve gone a monthly water change but that was with fish only so now I may bump it up to every two weeks.. however my tank is clean so I may hold off on that and let it get a bit more than 10 nitrate..

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good then as long as the flow isn’t blasting it
B991AB99-39F5-439B-80EE-00230E8F27A7.jpeg
15B0095C-B8B0-48C7-BD2F-737EC7F5676A.jpeg
I believe that was the problem, it was kinda at the corner “ish” of the tank and that flow was smoking around the walls. I moved it back to give a bit of caver and turned down the flow about 5-10%

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as test kits go I’ve got Red Sea marine test kit.. Hannah alk (dkh) , ph, and salinity colorimeters. What’s the verdict on calcium tester? Also Hanna? I might need to mention that I don’t have the best vision due to some military encounters I’ll just say. So digital is kinda my crutch for water testing

danielankeny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef fam, I’ve been a member here for a few years now but sadly I haven’t posted very much. Right after getting my first attempt at a reef set up (40b tank) unfortunately my family went thru some turmoil. I won’t get into that in here but the facts are I had to tear it down and for the last few years I’ve been waiting to try again. Now I am at that point finally and I hope this go is able to run its course and I hope to share it with you all. With that said let’s get into what I have thus far.

Stock BioCube 32 LED
BioCube stand
20# Caribsea life rock
20# Caribsea special grade
100w titanium heater w/ InkBird controller
EcoTech MP10

Right now the tank is cycling. I did the initial fill up with Nutra-Seawater to help get more beneficial bacteria to work along with the live sand and biospira.
I’ve been told by numerous people that I don’t need to wait for cycling and with modern tech fish in cycling is the way to go but I’m old skool. I’ve got 2 shrimp in a bag with the lights out and letting nature do it thing. I’m a week in and when I check I have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate showing so I’m heading in the right direction. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be showing you guys a nice successful 32 gallon BC. I know that I am a newbie and I am 100% open to all constructive criticism and I will always be open to taking help and advice from those of you out there that are already successful. I look forward to getting comments and using them to make this a successful venture.

Unfortunately right now my lights are off so it’s super hard to get a go picture but I’ll put up something just for a beginning reference point. I look forward to building this tank and I hope to get more positive feedback moving forward than negative, lol.

God Bless
Semper Fi

57DA0FC2-1998-4F3A-B17F-176107808972.jpeg 540B3696-0E68-4A1B-A47D-646C99C62488.jpeg
Welcome back to the hobby and (assuming the Semper Fi means you’re a marine) THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, SIR!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as test kits go I’ve got Red Sea marine test kit.. Hannah alk (dkh) , ph, and salinity colorimeters. What’s the verdict on calcium tester? Also Hanna? I might need to mention that I don’t have the best vision due to some military encounters I’ll just say. So digital is kinda my crutch for water testing
I use all Red Sea test kits. My Hanna pen for PH was so off even with calibration before use… point of sale in my opinion. Red Sea test kits are awesome across the board

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back