New Firefish Hiding

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Recently picked up a great red Firefish specimen. Thick, around 3.5”, and was swimming around no issues at the LFS. Added it to the tank two days ago (biocube 29 with a pair of clowns) and so far only seen the fish once. Never interacted with the clownfish either so it’s not like it was bullied at all. I know where he is, under a rock, I can shine a light on it to see his little head. Made sure he was moving of course. I acclimated him the same way I acclimated my clowns. Is this normal? Afraid he’s not gonna eat until he comes out. I tried spot feeding but no dice.
Thank you all

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red firefish isn't bullied at all but it hides most of the day. Comes out when there is food and darts out for it. It was the only fish in my 40B for a year and it behaved this way. Fish are like people I guess. Some are shy and some are not

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red firefish isn't bullied at all but it hides most of the day. Comes out when there is food and darts out for it. It was the only fish in my 40B for a year and it behaved this way. Fish are like people I guess. Some are shy and some are not
I really hope he’s gonna be out and about, so beautiful. Not enough space in my biocube to have a fish that hides all day…

my idiot clownfish make up for it though, absolute numbskulls.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only will it hide for a while, for the next month or so, it will bolt away every time it see's you coming towards the tank. Mine never went near my clowns or any other fish, its not a very social fish.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only will it hide for a while, for the next month or so, it will bolt away every time it see's you coming towards the tank. Mine never went near my clowns or any other fish, its not a very social fish.
How should I feed it? Shop used mysis shrimp so maybe spot feed him in his “den”? I know hes not moving much so shouldnt be burning too many calories

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how a biocube works but with my tank/sump this is what I did then and now that I have more fish. I turn off the sump pump so food isn't going to the filter socks. I keep the powerhead on so it keeps the food from settling on the bottom of the tank. My fish will only eat food that is suspended.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to just keep doing what you're doing now, no need to spot feed, Just stick to a routine, fish are much happier when there is a daily predictable routine, they will acclimate to the tank much faster with a set daily routine.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how a biocube works but with my tank/sump this is what I did then and now that I have more fish. I turn off the sump pump so food isn't going to the filter socks. I keep the powerhead on so it keeps the food from settling on the bottom of the tank. My fish will only eat food that is suspended.
I feed pretty light. Nothing really makes it past my clowns. I do let some mysis hit the sand bed a couple times a week for my conch, nassarius snails, and hermits— and now the firefish, I suppose.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back