New Fish Room Design ideas

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Internet,

I'm moving the sump and 40g frag tank for my 120g system (closer to 180g all in with sump and frag tank attached). The DT is plumbed through the wall and I've done the measurements should have no issue with the sump holding the tank and frag water during WC or power outages, was a bit concerned it would overflow..

My questions are really around materials for the room itself. In particular the wall, ceiling and floor. I need to place something in between the sump/frag tank and walls of the room to stop water from damaging the wall, its dry wall so it doesn't have to look nice, just avoid rot and mold. I was thinking about using a clear plastic sheet and using adhesive velcro so I can remove it without damaging the wall. I'd run the sheet behind the sump and frag tank and up the wall a good 2 feet above the two tanks to be safe. Then the sheet would run down and under the tanks and stands so anything that dripped could be easily toweled up as well. I could even create a little lip to ensure nothing comes out on the floor.

Any ideas or things I am not thinking of?

Second question is around room humidity. The room will likely see an increase in humidity for obvious reasons. I have a dehumidifier for the basement but it is a wall plug in type and I was thinking of installing a mounted unit that would pump out of the house by way of existing duct work. Issue there is I am not an HV/AC guy and wouldn't know where to plumb it to.

I've attached photo's of the wall and ceiling above the area where the tank and stand will go.

Looking to crowd source ideas here.

IMG_1398 3.JPG
IMG_1399 2.JPG
IMG_1400 3.JPG

Thanks!
AA

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest polyethylene sheeting too close to the wall, as it will trap moisture against the wall. You want something that will stop spills and salt spray, but not a vapor barrier. I'd suggest something like good outdoor paint or that 1/4 inch particle board where you might get it wet.

For the floor, sheeting will get ripped eventually. Have you considered the cheapo foam tiles or cheap vinyl flooring?

For dehumidification, you need to keep that air inside, you don't want to pull a vacuum into you house or you'll just end up drawing in moisture from outside or cold air. Best bet is a energy recovery ventilator, Panasonic makes a decently cheap one if you need to exhaust, but it also has an intake to balance the air output. It basically gives you fresh air with minimal heat loss. But honestly a simple plug in dehumidifier with a drain is your best bet. However that will generate heat, so be prepared for your home's cooling system to have to make up the difference.

If I was doing this from scratch, I'd have a plug in dehumidifier and just rely on the house to dissipate the heat.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the wall, you might consider lining it with the FRP or fiberglass panels you can get at HD or Lowes. I lined my tank room with the stuff, works great. You can pin it to the wall with little plastic rivets they sell for the purpose, no need to glue it.

What is the floor made of?

For the ceiling, looks like you have exposed hvac ducts running through there? That might be more of a concern, especillay if they go through holes in the ceiling or the wall. You may get humid air working it's way into those spaces, which could lead to mold issues ...

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the wall, you might consider lining it with the FRP or fiberglass panels you can get at HD or Lowes. I lined my tank room with the stuff, works great. You can pin it to the wall with little plastic rivets they sell for the purpose, no need to glue it.

What is the floor made of?

For the ceiling, looks like you have exposed hvac ducts running through there? That might be more of a concern, especillay if they go through holes in the ceiling or the wall. You may get humid air working it's way into those spaces, which could lead to mold issues ...

Floor is cement. Not concerned about the floor as much as where the wall meets the floor - water wicking etc. the ceiling is precisely the concern. Mold. Not sure of a solution because I can’t seal the room, not in the budget.

Perhaps a 1-2ft barrier above the side of the sump grab tank would suffice as a splash guard. No need for a full wall solution.

The humidifier would need to run constantly to to maintain 40-50% relative humidity... seems untenable.

Back